Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect rifle.....

Default The perfect rifle.....

The Remington rifle with a Sako extractor thread, though it did get a little of the original subject, got me thinking about what parts of which rifle would make the best rifle going. If we take the barrel from this one the trigger from that one and so forth and so on what would we have...I mean the perfect rifle of course but what would it look like.

Let your mind wander about all the rifles, good and bad, pick out the best parts and let's see what you come up with. Bolt Actions only please.

Stock Design: Company or example
    Stock: Material
    Barrel: Maker
    Trigger: Type (such as Winchester pre64)
    Safety Type: Positions, shape, type.
    Receiver: Includes shape, breech design, lockup, etc.
    Extractor:
    Ejector:
    Why:
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default One Gun

Hmmm, Good food for thought Murphy.
    I can't say that I like the Mod 70 safety for ease of use I guess I am an old shotgunner that likes the top thumb style safety's - however of all the rifles I have had and its been dozens I would have to say the early 1990's mod 70 win Super Grade feels about as good as anything I have ever had, shoots tacks, and looks like a riffle should. Trigger a bit stiff and safety as reliable as they get.... Action smooth and reliable.
    That would get my vote as my One gun....
    I am not smart enough to get more tech than that!
    Randy

Since you limited it to bolt rifles my choice for a hunting rifle in Alaska would be either a Win 70, MRC, or a Dakota 76. The Winchester would have to be of the older style with the bullet proof trigger. I would prefer they be stainless but if not, they would be plated with something to slow down rust.

Not to picky about barrels but have had great luck with recent Lilja's so would stick with them. Drop the entire rig into a McMillan stock and glass bed it.
    The stock ejector and safety are fine with me as well.
    Tennessee

Gotta torque the bolt over to the other side of the action to meet my requirements, which narrows the choices a lot. My favorite forever has been my sweet little Carl Gustav short action, one of a very brief run they made back in the early 1970's. It's currently sporting a Shilen 35 caliber barrel in 358 Win and nestled into a good wood stock, topped with a Leupold 1.5x5 in Redfield bases and rings. The trigger is a Timney.

If I could find another of those sweet little actions, I'd almost certainly screw in something faster and flatter, whether a 7-08 or a WSM of some sort. McMillan stock and no more than a compact 2x7 scope would finish it for me.

One day I would like to own and hunt with a Dakota 76 rifle. From my research the receiver is machined from quality pre-hardened bar stock, supposed to have a better breeching system to handle escaping gases than the Winchester 70, also a better firing pin assembly too. I also like the Dakota stock design, have an MPI Fiberglass Dakota style stock on my 375 H&H and it fits well and when I bring it up to my shoulder it has fast sight acquisition even with open sights. My 76 would have a stainless steel barrel very likely I would go with a Broughton, it would also be coated with either a teflon or kg coating.
    A Dakota 76 factory rifle would be great just as it is too, without any modifications.

Well bolt only reduces options for me greatly. I guess I would make due with a slicked up old Model 70 and canít think of anything I would alter on it. Now my perfect rifle would be a model 88 in 358 with the trigger redesigned so it stays put. Just love my 88 other than the stupid trigger setup that moves with the lever.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Extractor:
    Ejector:
    Why:

Classic african, no flutes, panckage cheek piece
    English Walnut with Eobny forend, dakota grip cap
    Krieger Barrel
    Winchester Pre 64
    3 Posistion Safety
    Granite Mountian Arms Square Bridged Mauser
    Mauser Claw Ext.
    Fixed ejector.

Most reliable setup you could produce, all these parts put together by the right riflemaker topped with a Schmidt Bender....Nothing Better
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Default Nosler Anyone?

I have not had my hands on one but knowing Noslers history of seeking excellence and from the reviews I have read their rifles may have a strong
    place in this discussion.
    They have used Timney triggers set at 3 lbs, milled the basic Rem 700 action to accept the Leupold Quick Detach rings direct eliminating a ring base, comes with the Leupold 2.5 x 8 x 36 scope I believe, uses the larger M16 claw extractor, most shoot less than .75 in groups from factory and comes with great wood and barrels. Has 3 pos safety, hand lapped barrels, and Nosler will buy gun back from you if your not happy - pretty tough to beat that?
    I know they are pricey but this was not about price - this asked what was the best gun made? Anybody got one that can comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I have not had my hands on one but knowing Noslers history of seeking excellence and from the reviews I have read their rifles may have a strong
    place in this discussion.
    I've got the M48 and I think they are certainly worthy of discussion. I have the sporter, not the custom, so I do have a standard ring and base setup solved nicely with Leupold DD bases and rings. No matter- the rifle shoots like a house on fire and functions perfectly.

I get 3/4" groups with Federal blue box ammo and slightly better with Accubonds.

I don't find anything they've done ground breaking but rather a really good amalgamation of high quality components. The results are pretty good. I don't consider it an ideal hunting rifle (like one even exists...) but its as close as I've gotten. Not sure what the action started life as but they supposedly have them made in Oregon (BAT maybe?). Its not a Remington or a Howa though but it is a push feed, opposing lug type action.

It has a kevlar stock (that I believe is an MPI, but its not marked and they're not telling) serial numbered to the rifle that is amazingly light and I do like the bottom metal (Blackburn). The Timney trigger is very good for a hunting rifle but both my Kimbers had a crisper out of the box trigger to my tastes. I think the Cerakote is good looking but not as durable as I anticipated when it comes to scratches and chips.

I just returned home from a two day intro to long range shooting course taught by Ryan McMillan. I had an opportunity to shoot their TAC 308, TAC 300WM, TAC 338 Lapua, TAC 50 BMG at multiple targets between 210-1070 yards. I also shot a few clips worth of ammo through the M1A with open sights, it was very nice. Before I drove home I put in an order for a TAC 338 Lapua, it is the answer to your question for me.

I was fortunate to have access to one of these rifles over the past few months. A friend and I have developed two 250gr loads for his new TAC 338 in preparation for this weekend. One load utilized the 250gr Sierra MKBT and the other was a Lapua 250gr Lock Base. The Lock Base was the clear winner in our testing shooting 1" groups at 300 yards with a muzzle velocity of 2902fps. There really isn't anything I can say bad about this complete package.

Customer service was second to none from the ordering process to the delivery of his rifle. This weekends training brought out the capabilities of the TAC series rifles and they are impressive.

http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-...al-tac-338.php

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Let your mind wander about all the rifles, good and bad, pick out the best parts and let's see what you come up with. Bolt Actions only please.

Extractor:
    Ejector:
    Why:
    Stock Design: I really like the McMillan G&H style stock though it is no longer cataloged and I have not checked on its availability in a few years. It was/is a beautiful design and should be more popular.

Stock: I prefer fiberglass on my hunting rifles for the simple reason it is stronger and more durable. I love wood, but a perfect rifle should be perfect all of the time. Fiberglass does not look or feel as nice as wood, but properly made it is significantly stronger and more durable and at least as accurate. I value these traits and therefor prefer fiberglass.

Barrel: I've used several and have not picked a "best" maker. My best shooting rifle had a Lilja barrel, but others have been nearly as good. Concerning hunting rifles I have used a vast array of makers but I have had excellent success with several XX Douglas barrels (non air gauge) and have been very pleased at much less cost than other makers. Given my druthers I would probably choose a Pac-Nor for a quality hunting rifle.

Trigger: It's hard to improve upon the durability of the Winchester pre64 IMO. However I have grown accustomed to the very fine Jewell trigger. It must be kept clean, but it is wonderful and except for their cost I would own more of them.

Safety Type: A perfect hunting rifle should have a safety that manipulates the cocking piece rather than merely blocking the sear. The Mod 70 3 position wing is attractive and functional and difficult to improve upon IMO. I think the world would be a better place if every rifle were designed with a similar functioning safety.

Receiver: I know I am in the minority on this one, but I prefer the weaker breech of the 03 Sprinfield and the Mod 70 consisting of a coned breach. While it may not offer the same level of safety as others it is certainly more than adequately strong and it simply feeds cartridges like they're on ball bearings. I've used very well made and polished actions of other designs and I've never seen one that is as smooth as an 03 or the Mod 70. I also think a perfect rifle should use a flat bottom action (easier to bed securely) with an integral recoil lug (looks better to my eye).

Extractor: I like the looks of a non-rotating extractor so that is what I would choose. The large external extractor seems a quintessential component IMO, but I have complete faith in the rotating extractors designed by Sako, Remington, & the post 64 Winchester.

Ejector: I cannot imagine having a mechanical ejector on a perfect rifle. In fact the ejector is much more prone to failure (I have experienced/seen this at least a dozen times) in a 700 style action than the extractor (which I have never seen fail) IME. A fixed ejector is a must have.

As I look at this list I see that my perfect rifle looks a lot like a tuned pre 64 Model 70. The only real fault I find in that action is that it is needlessly heavy. If it were lightened 6 oz or so I should think it as perfect an action as is available. As I look back at my post I am starting to think I should try to scrounge up a rifle like this. Chambered in 300 H&H it would be about as close to perfect as a rifle can come. YMMV

The Remington rifle with a Sako extractor thread, though it did get a little of the original subject, got me thinking about what parts of which rifle would make the best rifle going. If we take the barrel from this one the trigger from that one and so forth and so on what would we have...I mean the perfect rifle of course but what would it look like.

Extractor:
    Ejector:
    Why:
    If my wife thought there was a perfect rifle out there I wouldn't be able to get any more. Please delete this thread! :-)
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    If my wife thought there was a perfect rifle out there I wouldn't be able to get any more. Please delete this thread! :-)
    Remind your wife there are no perfect women out there either.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Remind your wife there are no perfect women out there either.
    Don't do it Blackfoot, it's a trap!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Extractor:
    Ejector:
    Why:
    Stock-Walnut of course. Straight with little drop in comb. No cheek peice. Semi-firm recoil pad. Thin pistol grip. Good agressive checkering.

Barrel-Shilen & Montana Rifle barrels have always been winners for me. Todays factory barrels are as good as most customs were just a few short years ago and I have no qualms with them on hunting rifles.

Trigger-Timney usually. However the factory triggers on two recently purchased Ruger Hawkeyes are dandy.

Safety-3 position swing....they prevent the firing pin from moving forward as compared to 700 type which just prevents the trigger from being pulled.

Receiver-Controled round feed mauser style minus the stripper clip cutout in the top of the receiver and without the thumb cutout on the rear left side of the receiver. I like the mauser style bolt release and dual front locking lugs the mauser offers.

Extractor- Mauser claw. They have more metal grabbing the case rim than any other and they seldom break.

Ejector-Fixed....again mauser got it right the first time. The spring and plunger stuff is fragile in comparison.

For my needs the Ruger Hawkeye covers it all as long as you take the tupperware stock off the SS ones and replace it with a factory walnut one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default OK, since EKC is, I'll play dis silly game too.

Stock Design:
    Weatherby, Monte Carlo type. Gotta have a comb, and a cheek piece.

Stock:
    A real rifle stock should be made of wood.

Barrel:
    Douglas, Shilen, ???? as long as itís a good one, I donít care.

Trigger:
    Iíd be happy with one that is simple and doesnít have a lot of complex parts, like the Mdl 70.

Safety Type:
    I like 3 position safeties, and having the safety on the Tang.

Receiver:
    Multiple and Rear locking lugs, like on the Rem. 788.

Extractor:
    Mauser type.

Ejector:
    Mauser Type, NOT plunger type.

Why:
    I have several rifles, and I like them, but not every feature of each. CRF isn't important to me, nor is a short bolt lift.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Extractor:
    Ejector:
    Why:
    Stock Design: Sauer 202 Monty Carlo.

Stock material: Sauer 202 synthetic with rubber inserts, as found on the M03 & R93 stocks. With a duratouch style coating on the synthetic areas.

Barrel: Cut-rifled by Hartmann & Weiss.

Trigger: Pre-64 Model 70.

Safety: Tang safety like Browning X-Bolt/R93 with a R93 de-cocking safety system(= 3 position safety).

Receiver: Hartmann & Weiss Classic M98 in shape, breech design & lockup(with H&W bolt design)!

Extractor: CRF/classic M98, by Hartmann & Weiss.

Injector: """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ""

Why: Coz it has all the features I desire in a working' rifle(this month anyway ).
    Have had enough rifle 'designs' over the yeas to know what works for me.

PS-I want it light as well. With anything over 7.92lbs(hunt ready) being a deal breaker. With my preferred 'pet' weight around 7.48lbs.
    In either 338WM, 9.3x62, 35 Whelen or 325WSM.

I agree with most of what has been said here. However, I do have a few thoughts.

1) I like short bolt throws like the Wby Mark V or Browning A Bolt. It's fast and you don't have to worry about bashing your knuckles into your scope.

2) I like Winchester's 3 position safety, except that it is too noisy. It always makes a loud click when you take it off, at least all of them I've ever messed with. You really have to ride it forward to avoid this, and even then it still clicks. The deer in my area are super wary and would likely spook if they heard that. Other than being quiet, my only other requirement for the safety is that it locks the bolt closed.

3) Stainless steel is preferable.

Default No such thing

I was sitting here thinking about, "The perfect rifle." I have decided there is no such thing. I have spent much money on long guns in the quest for such a beast and have not attained it yet. "Too much money," according to my wife. I have reminded her, "There is no such thing as a perfect woman." This comment elicits gales of laughter. Followed by sarcastic comments.

On that note.

A stainless Mauser style action w/ a Winchester 3 position safety.
    A quality stainless barrel w/ iron sights.
    A well fitted kevlar carbon fiber stock.
    S&B scope.

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    I have reminded her, "There is no such thing as a perfect woman." This comment elicits gales of laughter. Followed by sarcastic comments.
    I figured most of you to be much more intelligent than to pursue this line of manipulation There is no battle or contest that can be won against a woman... and to suggest that there isn't a "perfect woman" can only result in who knows what type of retalitory derision. I wonder if Duane Bobbit was looking for the perfect rilfe???

Looking forward to reading more on the "Perfect Rifle"...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast