Thread: Handgun Shooting Lessons?

Default Handgun Shooting Lessons?

The wife was adamant about getting a gun over the holidays for bear protection. I made the mistake of not getting her one for Christmas and she ended up printing out pictures of .44 mags and leaving them in random places throughout the house almost every day. I ended up caving in and she got her wish for valentine's day. Now I want to make sure she knows how to use it.

I myself know very little about handguns. She grew up shooting random handguns with her brothers, but she doesn't know much about them either... or even the proper way to shoot one (although she would tell you different). I want her to be confident and comfortable using the gun so I'm looking to send her to a couple lessons.

Does anyone know where I can set her up with shooting lessons and making sure she learns the ins and outs about her new gun? Any suggestions?

Adam

Earth is a rather large planet. What part of it are you on? That might help us find an instructor who is fairly close to you.

p.s. I would highly suggest that you attend the training with her so you can also feel comfortable with a gun in the house.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Sorry about that, makes since to tell you where I live . We are living in Anchorage at the moment. I am comfortable with guns in the house as we have a couple rifles and shotguns, but I think that's a great idea for me to accompany her (I'm not sure if she'll think I'm "babysitting").

Couple of options for you.

Steve McDaniel at Alaska Tactical on Muldoon is an excellent instructor.

http://www.alaskatactical.com/aboutus.html

Other option is out in Palmer at the Mat-Valley range. These classes are indoors so that maybe nicer this time of year.

http://www.mvsrange.com/classes.htm

Don't think you can go wrong with either.

I would suggest you do not attend or watch the same class or training session as her. Then neither of you is comparing how one is doing to the other, watching the other, trying to look better, or not look bad.

But I am not a professional firearms trainer, and you should take this advice for what you paid.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I can heartily recommend the course I took recently at the Mat-Valley Range. It was taught by 2 knowledgeable people. It is not a self-defense, or CC class, but an education, including safety, on pretty much all aspects of handguns.

It includes some shooting with whatever handgun you have, with some instruction on how to do it. IMO, itís a great course for a man and wife together. The range is indoors, and there is a class room.

It is an all-day course on a Saturday, and the cost was $40.00

This is the one, and looks like the next is May 15
    ************************************************** *************************************************
    NRA Basic Pistol class on Saturday, May 15, 2010 from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Call 746-4862 for details or to sign up.
    Note: on all classes only those students who pay in advance are guaranteed admittance. You may sign up without paying, but you will be on stand-by status and can attend only if room is left over after pre-paid class members are admitted.

If you have questions about classes taught at MVS; or would like a course description, please contact Steve Montgomery, President, at either
    746-3090 or by e-mail at:
    mvsrange@mtaonline.net
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    I would suggest you do not attend or watch the same class or training session as her.
    This firearm instructor strongly disagrees with that idea. Especially when it comes to "new" shooters, it is much better to have them in the same class at the same time and working together. It is not about one being better than the other or any kind of competition. Any half decent instructor will be able to make it a team effort and a very fun activity for the both of them.

The only time I would separate family members into different groups is when you have a brand new shooter trying to learn the ropes with a "seasoned" shooter that has a chip on his shoulders and is causing stress on the new shooter. Then the knucklehead with the chip gets paired with someone else further down the line so the new shooter can relax. Most of the time, this isn't a problem or a quick word in private with Mr "chip" will get them to knock it off, if you know what I mean.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

JOAT:
    I didn't know you were a firearms instructor.

No wonder, I've gotten knowledgeable advice from you in the past.

I was pretty familiar with my few handguns, but I feel I benefited greatly from the beginners type course I took.

Thanks again.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The class in the Valley sounds great. It's a long ways away, but looks beneficial. Thanks for the input everyone.