Thread: Situk Steelheaders

Default Situk Steelheaders

The road is open to 9 mile and the lower end. Might consider a float this week, if so I will update the conditions. Will know more this afternoon about the water hight. Better be full for me to work my way down it.

Floated Tuesday. Water was a little low, not bad at all. Had to drag a few times, little trees. There are fsih in it. No big numbers. Saw a school of a half dozen or so at the confluence. No major changes to the river. Looking good for the start of the season! Hope to see you in town

Thanks for the report. Any pics?

Didn't fish... more of an exploritory trip. We like to save the fish for people who are paying to come here. The less pressure the better. The only pics, are of me pulling a tree to the bank, at the narrowest point of the river. No bears, moose sign. Some one reportedly shot a bear here already. I have a feeling it was on the beach of the ocean. Some ducks, not too much wildlife. More fish than anything.

We like to save the fish for people who are paying to come here.
    that's some quality restraint right there!

Most think I'm a liar.. I think. I run the charter boat, and like the heated cabin, satalite radio, cushiony seats, and fish you catch to eat. I don't have a problem with not fishing for Steelhead. I sure wouldn't appreciate it as much as others do! I really don't get the allure, Steelhead don't get me too excited. Kings, Lings, and monster halibut are a different story, even a wide open surface bite of rock fish. Who knows maybe some one can talk me into making another cast for Steelhead. I tried one cast three years ago and caught one. I really hate to ruin my average... batting 1000. OUr spring economy is based on a good run of Steelhead, and they get enough pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post
    Most think I'm a liar.....

Not me

Look forward to fishing with you soon Erik.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Hay some people don’t like the first,,,,,boats full of chainsaws to cut the river out ,,,Well I do,,,,,, you’re a Stud. Thanks for all your help…..

You guys are the appreciative people I keep the pressure off the fish for! Thanks for the kind words!

Charterboat Operator

sounds like you (capt K) should be starting a little off the mouth saltwater steelhead trolling! i could pass along some flyrod to downrigger tips next time i am down
    PB

Default The Glacier Bear Lodge

I was fishing there about 5 yrs ago, and stayed at another "lodge", really close to the airport, got fed up with what they were trying to feed me. and came to your lodge, great food, and much better atmosphere. when I come fishing there again, will definetely be staying at your outfit. The other place I won't mention, not really worth mentioning. I did have an outstanding time fishing, caught numerous steelhead, and the next day did an ocean charter where I caught a 145lb halibut, and a large ling cod. Good luck to everyone on the Situk this year.

You guys are awesome.... alot of truths spoken. I've been thinking about trolling Steelhead out in the salt, but it would be catch and release only. I could get into that, but like I say keeping the pressure off of them, only helps. Time will tell. I might get down there and do it. Then I will have pics!