Thread: Trapline/Mushing pics

Default Trapline/Mushing pics

Been recovering from a broken leg (fibula) and messed up ankle and haven't been able to get out trapping until recently, mainly just along the river for marten, and haven't caught much.

Was upriver yesterday pulling what traps I had set (heading into Board of Game meeting next week, and season ends the 28th).

Caught this mink in a marten set. A lot of mink around in places, guess I'll tan this one up with the others:

Was a beauty of a day too, clear and +15. Part of the trapline trail goes up a sidecreek, and I mushed a bit beyond the last trap. Check out beyond the team here:

Here's a closer look, never seen overflow quite mound up like this before. We turned around here, no way I was gonna try to negotiate the humpy overflow:

Back on the main river:

Default continued...

I think I've posted pic of this particular cutbank before. It's getting worse making it up this sucker!

Almost home. Home is just across from that creek valley in the distance:

The day's tally: 1 mink. Dogs did good. Ankle was hurting pretty good by the time I got home though <grin>. Clear again this morning, and temp about -10 and dropping.

Best to all,

Nice pics as usual.....always enjoy them. What part of Alaska are you in? I understand if you keep that to yourself. Thanks.

Eastern interior, Oats, north side of the Yukon River.

Great pictures. You sure live in some hungry country. Glad to hear the leg is healing up. I always enjoy your photo journals. Keep them coming.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default WOW!

No words can desribe the awe that your way of life puts me in. Sorry about the leg though Mark. Hope all is well. One day that will be me. One day...

Rob

Are you stisfied with the catch rate of the pot sets. I never liked them. Guy I know on lower Yukon is putting them close to ground with a swing pole to elevate catch. Do you use legholds also?
    Do you trap wolverine? Must be some around. Haven't seen you post of wolverine success.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Pics

Nice posts Mark looks like fun, Hope your complete healing is swift and sweet.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Martentrapper
    Are you stisfied with the catch rate of the pot sets. I never liked them. Guy I know on lower Yukon is putting them close to ground with a swing pole to elevate catch. Do you use legholds also?
    Do you trap wolverine? Must be some around. Haven't seen you post of wolverine success.
    Love the pot sets. Gotta use lure. Like pole sets, there are always some marten won't go into them though. Yep, got some pole sets still going, one is in the pic going up the cutbank, just can't quite see it.

Only had one wolverine set out, a cubby set with a #3 jump. No action. Hard to do much starting so late and not going very far.

Thanks for all the comments guys,

Default ...

I second the tip-ups. A nice variety when those pesky Marten won't climb.

Have you thought about shoveling a "ramp" on that cut bank? I know a few that will shovel the snow down and start a ramp for where they enter and exit rivers with hide banks. Maybe trim some brush and stack it first, so not so much shoveling and snow needed for the ramp. Just a thought.

Beautiful country you got there!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Negative on shoveling a ramp, or building one. For the effort of lifting the nose of rig up each time and a bit of pushing from behind, would spend more overall time I think building a ramp. Breakup wipes this spot every spring too, which is why it's getting worse.

Going over cutbanks. Been there, done that. Going down was the hard part. Some years I had a good enough leader to disconnect the team, let them go over and yell whoa, from the top of the bank. Then I let the sled over with a rope. But I learned that a little time with a chainsaw to the up or downriver side usually created a better route.
    I also found out that building cabins where the river bank doesn't erode is a good idea.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Great pics mark, hope your leg get better........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Nice pics. Thanks

...Beautiful pictures!!

-really enjoyable to have an awesome example of where, and how you live-

-thanks for posting this....
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Awsome pics.
    I too am healing a broken fibula (1 week into it)snowmobile-tree thing didn't work out like I planned. Have hunted a bunch, but never been around the trapping thing. Would be fun to tag along for a week some winter.
    Thanks for sharing
    WR

I really like those pictures. It's great seeing some dogs in a trapping post instead of the latest high tech snow machine! Nothing wrong with that either it's just not many are out with dogs.

beautiful pics, nice lookin dogs. Im jealous its so warm over there what i wouldn't give for 15 above