Thread: Question about forming brass?

Default Question about forming brass?

I have a Rem 700 at the smith right now being rebarreled to 338-06 AI. I have dies from Redding on the way. To form brass does 35 whelen or 30-06 work better and do I need to use new brass or will once fired work ok? Any help here is greatly appreciated.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Pick one and go with it, you are either going to neck up by .020 or neck down by the same amount.
    06 brass is usually cheapr and more easily found but I doubt your rifle would know which one you did. My only concern would be if your smith gave you a tight neck, then in this case I would neck up rather than down.
    Tennessee

Default smaller to larger

The brass will flow better from smaller to larger. Start with US mil 30-06 cases. They will be a little softer in the neck area. Or haunt gun Broker for 338-06 A Square cases. If you have the time to watch you will not get hosed for them.

IF you are necking up ... new brass is better. Used brass tends to have more split necks. Necking down... I doubt it will make a difference if it is once fired brass. Which ever way you go.... you are going to LOVE the 338 06 FULLCURL

I ended up using R-P once fired 30-06. I annealed it all before I got started. I haven't worked up a hunting load yet as the weather has been to warm. But i have been shooting it a lot fireforming brass. i have been shooting 200 and 250 grain bullets. lots of good practice.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!