Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Rod & Reel for Hailbut?

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Rod & Reel for Hailbut?

    I am looking for guidance for a Halibut Rod & reel set up. I was looking at a BFC5610RT Lamiglas rod and a Penn Senator 114 H2. Is this rod and reel a good choice, or would the 113H2 be better? Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I dont want to spend lots of money, but i would like a nice fishing experience. If there is something else I should look at as a cheaper alternative, yet still good I would like to hear some more options. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default

    Rods and reels are kind of a personal feel kind of thing. Concentrate on a reel that can hold 1,000' of 80# braid and you will have enough reel IMO.

  3. #3
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    A 6'5" Lamiglass rod with a Penn 330 GTI is the way to go with that 80# test.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    I bought an Ugly Stik Tiger last year for Halibut and i love that rod! I had a Penn Senator 114 on it and it was perfect!

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I was looking at the ugly stick tiger also, but wasn't sure if it was enough rod for halibut? We will be fishing in 150-400ft(400 maximum hopefully!) of water with bait and spreader bar, probably 1-2lbs weight. or a heavy jig setup. The Tiger rod comes in a BWC2202 model 7' and medium heavy, is that the one you are referring too? Do you find a 7 foot rod helpful?? The rod I used on a previous outing was under 6 feet I think, and it felt similar to a pool stick with a bit of give in the tip. If the Tiger rod BWC2202? is enough rod, Ill go that route, its only $60, I have never used an ugly stick, but I know their reputation for nearly indestructible rods. Line rating 30-60 LB, 3/4 - 8 OZ lure weight, 7' MH>, is that the one you use kgpcr?

    Thanks again for the help, I will have to get to the city and see some models in person, I have very little experience with this equipment which is why im asking here, I have no personal feel at the moment. I like the look of the 114 H2, it looks beefy, is there any reason to get the 330gti vs the 114H2?

  6. #6

    Default

    Check out some of the tica reels they are tough......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

  7. #7
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Personally, I wouldn't get that UglyStik Tiger. I have a couple of those and they just aren't quite enough rod when you need to put more than about 1 pound on them, add the current, and your looking at a little too much.

    An Abu Garcia Brute or a Lamiglass or AK Gold all make great rods. 6'5 is the standard halibut rod and they are AWESOME.

    The 330 GTI has the lever drag setting instead of the old school drags. It's really nice. Spendy, but you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 02-21-2010 at 09:14. Reason: added info
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  8. #8

    Thumbs up

    I personally like the Penn 340/345GTI. You can't beat em'. I just rebuilt about 12 0f them. They are so easy to work on, very dependable, they last forever and a lot of the Charter folks use them.

  9. #9

    Default

    You should think about building your own. I took the class from 3-rivers and I am now building my second Butt rod. It is alot of fun.

  10. #10
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Looks like a good setup. I've got Lamiglas rods and Okuma Jig sticks along with Penn 113H or 320GTI and I like them. Like my Avet also. It all depends on your budget. Your home location is not on your profile so not sure where you live. If you go to Anchorage. Stop by B&J's speek to the boys behind the counter and tell them what you want to spend. They will hook you up with the best bang for your buck and share great tips.

  11. #11

    Default

    I second that, the staff at b&j"s is awesome they will try and outfit you with the best gear for your budget....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thank you for all the replies, helps a lot to get a feel for what other people like to use. I was thinking this so far Senator 113H2(only rated 2lbs less max drag the 114h2), with a Penn Mariner Stand up rod 660CHST(6 foot rod). Is 80lb braid the norm, or is 65 lb OK? I was looking at the 65lb tuff line XP. What do you think of this combination rod and reel/Line? Whats a tougher reel a 113H2 or a 345gti?

    Also, slightly off topic, but I seemed to lose a lot of herring on my last outing and not actually get a fish, just lose my bait, do any of you guys tie the bait to the leader. I was considering doing this as the herring seemed too easily robbed off the hooks, whereas octopus stayed on forever. If so, do you use fishing line, or something else, I saw a product called "magic thread", thoughts?.

    Also what size of hooks do you use,,, I was going to get some Gamakatsu all purpose 10/0.?

    BTW, I am from Alberta, I will not be fishing in Alaska, but in the Prince Rupert area in August this year, although I would love to try Alaska.


    For this Rod/reel/line I would be looking at roughly just over $300.... well for 1200yards of line that is, wouldn't mind having some extra.

    I did check out the Tica reels, very nice, but they don't seem as available? Where do you get them from in Canada, and what model were you referring to?

  13. #13

    Default

    Its the tica seawave..........you can buy them on ebay.......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halifishin31 View Post
    Thank you for all the replies, helps a lot to get a feel for what other people like to use. I was thinking this so far Senator 113H2(only rated 2lbs less max drag the 114h2), with a Penn Mariner Stand up rod 660CHST(6 foot rod). Is 80lb braid the norm, or is 65 lb OK? I was looking at the 65lb tuff line XP. What do you think of this combination rod and reel/Line? Whats a tougher reel a 113H2 or a 345gti?

    Also, slightly off topic, but I seemed to lose a lot of herring on my last outing and not actually get a fish, just lose my bait, do any of you guys tie the bait to the leader. I was considering doing this as the herring seemed too easily robbed off the hooks, whereas octopus stayed on forever. If so, do you use fishing line, or something else, I saw a product called "magic thread", thoughts?.

    Also what size of hooks do you use,,, I was going to get some Gamakatsu all purpose 10/0.?

    BTW, I am from Alberta, I will not be fishing in Alaska, but in the Prince Rupert area in August this year, although I would love to try Alaska.


    For this Rod/reel/line I would be looking at roughly just over $300.... well for 1200yards of line that is, wouldn't mind having some extra.

    I did check out the Tica reels, very nice, but they don't seem as available? Where do you get them from in Canada, and what model were you referring to?

    65lb. braid will work fine...it will be stronger than the drag on the 113. I use 65lb. Sufix Performance Braid....smooth stuff that doesn`t sound like it`s grinding the rod guides.

  15. #15
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    I have two halibut rigs: my circle hook rigs and my double Gamakatsu rigs. The circle hook rigs are just a 12/0 Mustad circle hook hooked through the mouth and out the upper part of the head of a herring. I primarily use these, as you can easily release smaller fish without mortally wounding them.

    For the days it's pretty slow, I use 2 Gamakatsu 10/0 hooks hooked into 1 herring. These are lethal. You get a Halibut to bite, he isn't coming off. But you will probably get one in his gills or gullet using this rig.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    Its the tica seawave..........you can buy them on ebay.......
    Thank you, I did end up finding them, drag performance didnt seem too available, I searched a bit and found that its got 13lbs locking drag.

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I have two halibut rigs: my circle hook rigs and my double Gamakatsu rigs. The circle hook rigs are just a 12/0 Mustad circle hook hooked through the mouth and out the upper part of the head of a herring. I primarily use these, as you can easily release smaller fish without mortally wounding them.

    For the days it's pretty slow, I use 2 Gamakatsu 10/0 hooks hooked into 1 herring. These are lethal. You get a Halibut to bite, he isn't coming off. But you will probably get one in his gills or gullet using this rig.
    Thank you, I don't know what I was doing wrong, I was going through the mouth and out the top of the head with the first hook, and had a treble trailer which I fed into the back end of the herring somewhere in the side, I seemed to go through lots of herring, which is why I was thinking of tieing it to the leader, when Id finally do a bait check, Id have bare hooks.. fairly often, then I got frustrated with the herring and switched to octopus.

    BTW you are very lucky if you get to fish for Halibut often, I tried it for the first time last year and I would do it every day if I could, fishing in the ocean was a first for me, and an awesome experience, not just the fishing but seeing whales, etc, it was just an adventure, and Ill be thinking about it every day until I get to go again, very addictive. What is so exciting for me is that you never know what youre gonna catch, or how big its gonna be, you see some of these huge fish being caught and even to have the oppurtunity to catch something that big is amazing.

  18. #18
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Do you strictly want to fish bait, or might you be interested in jigging?

    While I have an older version of that rod with a penn 113H, I personally don't use it anymore. I have jigged with that rod/reel, but it is very heavy and quickly wears you out.

    You might want to check out the Daiwa Saltiga Jigging Rod SA-JG511HFB at B&J. This is a nice light rod, but has plenty of backbone. As for reels, you just don't need a 4/0 sized reel with braided line. The trouble is you generally have to spend a bit more $ to get a 3/0 or 2/0 reel with sufficient drag for butt fishing. The shimano tld 15 is a great little reel, and better yet if you upgrade the drag to a carbontex and replace the drag washers with those from a tld 20 II. But by the time you do those upgrades, you're almost out the same amount of $ is an Avet LX 4.6:1 reel. Spool with 65# braid and you are set.

    Having gone to the ligther weight jigging rods, I'll never go back to the broomstick bait rods. I have one on my bait for a co-worker who hasn't seen the light


  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Do you strictly want to fish bait, or might you be interested in jigging?

    While I have an older version of that rod with a penn 113H, I personally don't use it anymore. I have jigged with that rod/reel, but it is very heavy and quickly wears you out.

    You might want to check out the Daiwa Saltiga Jigging Rod SA-JG511HFB at B&J. This is a nice light rod, but has plenty of backbone. As for reels, you just don't need a 4/0 sized reel with braided line. The trouble is you generally have to spend a bit more $ to get a 3/0 or 2/0 reel with sufficient drag for butt fishing. The shimano tld 15 is a great little reel, and better yet if you upgrade the drag to a carbontex and replace the drag washers with those from a tld 20 II. But by the time you do those upgrades, you're almost out the same amount of $ is an Avet LX 4.6:1 reel. Spool with 65# braid and you are set.

    Having gone to the ligther weight jigging rods, I'll never go back to the broomstick bait rods. I have one on my bait for a co-worker who hasn't seen the light
    Well, I can definately understand why a lighter setup would be favourable, but in my situation I think the heavier gear is going to be a better compromise, and just to clarify, im intrested in everything fishing related! . Mostly all we use will be bait, and heavy weights. Im limited in my budget as well, as I have a wife who doesnt fish much.

    If you had that rod/reel setup that you no longer use(the mariner and senator), how did it perform, aside from being heavy? if it performs adequately, this does fit my budget. Maybe Ill really go into the dog house and get a T-RXW 50/2 from Avet,, 116lbs drag!!, thats freaking amazing, I saw a guy on youtube using one on this goliath grouper standup with his drag set at 100 lbs, he looked pretty worn out after awhile(wonder why), it was something to see, I think the fish was about 400-500lbs, not very deep sides on the boat either!!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    516

    Default Ruber Bands

    Get a box of ruber bands to add to your tackle. When the bait gets soft or you have alot of little fish pecking and pecking wrap a herring with a rubber band like girls do with their hair. Then simply run the hook in and around the ruber band. If you want I can get an example together and take a picture.
    Pretty simple stuff.
    Good luck this summer.

    Oh another thing to try is to Salt your bait the day before you head out. (ROCK SALT).
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •