Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 AOD RYC Meeting in PWS?

Default 2010 AOD RYC Meeting in PWS?

Any talk out there about resurrecting the PWS “Yacht Club” meeting idea for this summer? Was it held last year?

I don't think it ever materialized. As long it is it will be family friendly, I am game. All this warm weather is getting me amped up for spring!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Let's hear more about it...

There are some fun, rowdy gatherings posted every year on the forum, and they are fine but I'm with "Spoiled One"...might be fun and a great way to have your family enjoy meeting a lot of other like people....Uhhh, how big does your boat need to be to qualify as a Yacht for this

Sounds great. I tried last year but couldn't get things finalized on a AOD function
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default RYC = Royal Yacht Club?

what about AOD?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    what about AOD?

Alaska Out Doors? = A guess from the lower 48

Default Aod ryc

An effort was made last year to come up with a weekend / place where the forum members could get together in PWS to meet each other and share some good times. Someone came up with the acronym AOD RYC for the Alaska Outdoors Directory Redneck Yacht Club. A poll was held and a lot of great ideas were suggested.

I would vote for a family friendly gathering. Someplace with lots of room for anchoring and open terrain where you can go ashore and let the kids meet and play during the day. The place that comes to mind is Granite Bay (the one past Main Bay) but there may be another good spot in closer. Instead of trying to get consensus and then never have it happen, I think someone that is well know and generally liked on the forum (such as Spoiled one, for instance) should just set the place and time and then see who comes.

Personally, I would love it if my kids met some other kids of families with boats and were begging to go out on the boat to see them, instead of bringing our non-boating friends along on our boat all of the time.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default I like the way you are thinking...

JRogers, and probably most that participate would come out of Whittier, so Granite Bay or thereabouts would be a long way for the East PWS folks out of Valdez and Cordova...I know some places in the middle, but that might be too long for Whittier folks...I would be fine for Pete to Pick and of course with us parttime AK'ans a lot would depend on timing

The north side has some great beaches, shrimp, anchorages, shrimp, mildest weather, shrimp and is about half the distance from Whittier to Valdez. Did I mention that there are some shrimp? The fishing is spottier than the southern part, but an hour run and you are to the Naked Island area. Heck, I am out on the water nearly every weekend in the summer and am game for rafting up anytime. Bring a thermacell and you can even raft up to me and use my anchor! Might cost you a frosty beverage or something served on glacial ice, though.

Did I mention shrimp?

Default Great pictures...

of the "Patience" and the family, older kids could tube down that waterfall too! Is that a widescreen TV I see on the top, wife and kids watching Barney movies?

Are you thinking over by glacier island or thereabouts? Name the spot you are thinking, so I can look at the map...it makes sense for the family rendevous! Oh, yeah, are there any shrimp there???

Sure looks like an unhappy family to me. I'm guessing its like pulling teeth to get them out on the weekends.

Thanks for sharing those pics. I'll use them as leverage to convince my wife to bump up the boat we have to one more suitable.

Be sure to keep the details coming and we'll try and make it as well. How many frosty beverages does it cost to get a shrimping lesson?

Default PatrickL

I sent you a pm just a minute ago....

of the "Patience" and the family, older kids could tube down that waterfall too! Is that a widescreen TV I see on the top, wife and kids watching Barney movies?

Are you thinking over by glacier island or thereabouts? Name the spot you are thinking, so I can look at the map...it makes sense for the family rendevous! Oh, yeah, are there any shrimp there???
    No Barney in my house! I cannot stand that purple dinosaur! I was thinking somewhere in Unakwik. It is about half the distance between Whittier and there are some fantastic anchorages. I have spent a little time around Glacier Island, but have not done any shrimping. I suspect that there are a few around, though. As Pot Builder says: "steep and deep".

Another pic of the falls in Cascade Bay:

Default Jonah Bay

Jonah Bay would be a nice place and plenty of room for a fleet of boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Jonah Bay would be a nice place and plenty of room for a fleet of boats.
    Jonah Bay is a beautiful place with a lot of protection. It has been my experience that it can be entered and exited only on the upper half of the tide, comfortably. It is a raging river river, complete with big boulders at the lower stages. I did enter it on an incoming tide once in the old boat. I had to come in on plane and only had a few feet on either side going through the chute. It is amazing what a couple of car seats in the back seat do to a guys risk taking.

Default Jonah Bay...

Looks like an interesting spot, the entrance to that big bay is fairly narrow on the map, with an island in the middle, does it get a little wild when the tide is running? How's the shore, I was just looking at a flat map. Were there other places (Spoiled One?) in Unakwik, I looked for Cascade Bay and couldn't find it.

Default Whoops...

I see my questions were being answered as I was asking them! so, my read on the entrance was right on anyway!!

Looks like an interesting spot, the entrance to that big bay is fairly narrow on the map, with an island in the middle, does it get a little wild when the tide is running? How's the shore, I was just looking at a flat map. Were there other places (Spoiled One?) in Unakwik, I looked for Cascade Bay and couldn't find it.
    It can be a wild ride in if you do not use the tide. I won't take the new boat in unless it is at the upper stages. The wind rarely whips in Unakwik. There is an afternoon breeze coming of the glaciers during the afternoons. Keeps the bugs down. Cascade bay is in Eaglek Bay which is just west of Unakwik. Great beaches can be found in both areas and lots of berries. Lots of little bights that can hold several boats and some decent camps, too.

Default Yep I found it...

Cascade Bay looks like a beautiful spot, I googled it and it seems like a popular place for the small glacier cruise and kayaker boats, here's a nice picture I copied from this site http://www.wildnatureimages.com/Prin...und_Photos.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast