Thread: Bear processing?

Default Bear processing?

Need some help and some insights or thoughts on the matter. Some may remember that I'm taking my daughter on a boat based black bear hunt out of Homer. I have never eaten bear or help processed one. Need to get it done or helped get it done and get it home. I have heard of a lot folks having sausage made, but I would really like to have other things done. What would you suggest is the best ways to do it? I have seen alot of different comments about processors. Who would you have do it and how?

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Need some help and some insights or thoughts on the matter. Some may remember that I'm taking my daughter on a boat based black bear hunt out of Homer. I have never eaten bear or help processed one. Need to get it done or helped get it done and get it home. I have heard of a lot folks having sausage made, but I would really like to have other things done. What would you suggest is the best ways to do it? I have seen alot of different comments about processors. Who would you have do it and how?
    I had two done at Glenn's and was very happy with his work (and it was VERY fast). I have also heard first hand from a couple guys that got bears done at Mat Valley meats and they too were happy with what they got.

Will

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well save one hind quarter at least for a HAM!!! oh man is it good.. i make some small roast for crock pots, grind some burger, smoke the ribs, fillet the straps and loins, the thin roast of the shoulders i will " unroll" (constant rotate meat while fillet knife makes it about 1/4 inch thick.. then i will stuff it (rolled back up and tied)with cream cheese, garlic, red onion and Parmesan( to make a paste) and grill it with a little smoke box

the ribs after smoking i will cook in the dutch oven on the wood stove at camp and BBQ at the end.. the brisket will be smoked and added with the crock pot beans,,,,
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We have ours done at Delta Meat and most made into breakfast sausage...and it is great...very tasty. They can also do Italian sausage as well and basically anything you want. But their breakfast sausage is out of sight.

Tustamena Smokehouse in Soldotna does a fine job.

I've had Glenn do several bears, and I'll take him my next bear. I love the hot Italian and chorizo. Great work, fair prices.

http://www.glennswildgame.com/

Default Yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well save one hind quarter at least for a HAM!!! oh man is it good..
    Vince, do you do it yourself? How do you do it?

We mix moose burger or regular burger 50/50 in with the bear burger and it works great. Takes ALOT of the bear taste out of the meat. This is all ground up together.

Default Alaska pantry

I think if you post this in the Alaska pantry forum you might get some good stuff also. There are some older Alaskan ladies that are regulars on that forum that always have some great ideas for this kinda stuff.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just be careful of the fat, if it gets too warm it will go rancid, which is why a lot of people complain that bear is greasy and tangy.

I butcher it myself.

I make Hamburger, stew and roast, no steakes as they tend to be tough especially since you have to cook them right through.

Well your from carolina so am I last year i took a ham from my grizz and made carolina style BBQ out of it. It is very stringy muscle like pork and slow low heat cooking will make the meat just fall of the bone and mix it with vinger style BBQ sause from carolinas made it great. I brought in to work and the guys ate all of it in about 15 min's. half of them had no idea it was bear. If you can send some back unprocessed I would do it spring bears are great eating. cleaning them is easy no harder then a deer just a little diffrent. If you got any questions on how just PM me Ill give you some step by step. Get you some good game bags and citric acid to spray the meat with it slows the growth of bacteria a lot. And keep meat dry and cool as you can.