Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Bear hunt?

Smile Brown Bear hunt?

First i'd like to say what a great forum this is, i've been lurking for about 6 months and have learned alot here. I am planning on coming to Alaska for a brown bear hunt, i either want to do a peninsula or Kodiak hunt. Can anyone reccomend an above average outfitter to me? Just want to make the most out of the money i'll be spending. Thanks in advance.

Default Kodiak

Although I've never hunted bear, I have hunted deer and duck with Paul Chervenak. What a great guy. His passion is brown bear and his outfit is Kodiak Outdoor adventures. If you call him please tell him Donny Mitchell says hey! Good luck and have fun!!

Donny Mitchell

Default Brown Bear Outfitter

Got an expensive education in fall of 2009, starting to shop around and ask a lot of questions for 2011. Have honestly read and heard good things about Black River Outfitters (goes by BRWN Bear in this forum). I've not talked to him yet about it but, I passed on numerous 7-8' bears and am headed back in search of a trophy. Have also heard that Warren Johnson of Bear Lake Lodge runs a first class operation. Have never hunted with either, but I'm spending some time looking for my 2011 guide.

Default Jake

He is a member here and has more recommendations than most and goes by BRWNBR. You can do a search and find him pretty easily.

Default Also

Dont think you could go wrong with Joe Want, been to a couple of his seminars!

Terry

Default outfitter

AAAAlaskanoutfitters.com

Thumbs up other options...

or...
    Master Guide Rich Guthrie, for an AK Peninsula bear hunt, spring or fall.

or...
    forum member huntalaska, for a fall western Alaska brown bear hunt.

dennis

i'll second Paul C on kodiak for sure!
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

Default Above Average Brown Bear Guides

When you say "Above Average" I'm taking it that you mean quality size bears, and good success areas, plush lodge base camp, and the works!!!! I know two personally that can do this, But they are expensive too!!!

Mike Litzen- he works out of Sand point, and has exclusive rights to guide on a specific native land, that no one else does.Transports his clients by supercub

Cavner and Julian- guides on the pen, has a lodge in Port Alsworth, Lake Clark, also has his own cub.

Default Mike "Buck" Bowden

You might check out Hidden Alaska Guides and Outfitters. It's owned and operated by Mike "Buck" Bowden, a master guide with many years of experience. He runs a pretty good brown bear hunt out of his lodge in the spring and again in the fall, and he also does a pretty find float hunt for brown bears. I have guided for him in the past, so I know something of his operation.

Regardless of where you go, best of luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Sam Rohrer

wow! alot of great responses, i will look into each of them. Thank you so far and keep them coming. Does anyone know anything about Sam Rohrer?

A guy I work with is an assistant guide who works for Sam, guiding for bears and goats. They run a quality operation and take some very nice animals. Shoot me a PM if you would like and I can get you some contact info.

Default Check out Karl Braendel - He hunts bears on Kodiak

Karl Braendel PO Box 1148. Chickaloon, AK 99674

I met Karl out hunting and he was very helpful and knows a lot about hunting big bears.

Elkmaster,
    Check your Private Messages.

Quote Originally Posted by elkmasterwyo View Post
    First i'd like to say what a great forum this is, i've been lurking for about 6 months and have learned alot here. I am planning on coming to Alaska for a brown bear hunt, i either want to do a peninsula or Kodiak hunt. Can anyone reccomend an above average outfitter to me? Just want to make the most out of the money i'll be spending. Thanks in advance.
    A lot of good guides and outfitters on both the Peninsula and Kodiak. YOU first have to decide what kind of hunt you want and what size bear you want to harvest. If you just want to shoot a bear you will have lots of options, if you are looking to maximize the chances for a large bear - not so many.
    The guides on Kodiak for males will average any where from the low 24's to mid 26's. Peninsula a lot fewer guides averaging 26, but they still take some really nice bears in 9d and/or 9e.
    If they haven't taken more than about 12 males the average skull total may not mean much. If size is important request the ALL the sealing information regarding skull sizes and ages for both males and females. If they hunt bears in other units get that information as well. High percentage of sows in any unit - be careful.
    A lot of money and a tough decision.
    Best of luck.
    Please email me if I can help with information.
    Joe (Ak)

Default Brown Bear

As you said you passed on several smallish Bears. hold out for the trophy of a lifetime.
    As a resident and from what I hear, go with either joe Want or Jake jefferson neither of which I have personally met. Actions speak louder than words. Both are known for honest representation of your odds.

i guess i should clarify my wants. i'm just looking for an honest hard working outfitter, with a high success rate and a good average on bears in the 9' range, more interested in a large hide than a record skull, tent or lodge hunt works for me, also i've looked for information on Joe Want and have not found any?

while your at it buy a lottery ticket too.
    wayne woods of woods outfitting does really well on big bears, dennis zadra of lonesome dove does great to. i've worked for both guys, neither are on kodiak or the peninsula but have a sleeper of an area for big bears.
    Paul is the guy i'd go to, no doubt. but its all personal preferance...i've only ever worked for one guy that "averaged" 9' bears and that was larry rivers...deltna outfitters is in that area now..can't speak on their honesty but i know you'll get handed off to an assistant guide and won't be guided by the outfitter.
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

Quote Originally Posted by elkmasterwyo View Post
    i guess i should clarify my wants. i'm just looking for an honest hard working outfitter, with a high success rate and a good average on bears in the 9' range, more interested in a large hide than a record skull, tent or lodge hunt works for me, also i've looked for information on Joe Want and have not found any?
    Lucky for you, you happen to have two of them posting on your very own thread...

Default brown bear guide

does anybody know much about scott mileur brown bear guide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast