Thread: Universal de-priming die. Is it worth it?

Default Universal de-priming die. Is it worth it?

I just broke another de-priming rod on a set of Lee 30-06 dies. Plus I have busted more than a few 6.5x55 swede primer -poker-outers....

What do you folks think of the universal type de-priming dies?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default I like it

I deprime all my cases and then use a liquid filled tumbler to clean my cases. Then go on to trim, resize, etc... from there. Or in the case of my pistol plinking brass they go to the progressive press at this point. So for me being able to just grab a that die and start popping primers is worth it.

I use one. RCBS

I like using one. I have the Heavy Duty RCBS universal decapper. I like it because I can remove the primers from dirty brass. Less wear and tear on your dies, and it cost less than 20 bucks.

Steve

Thumbs up

Ditto. The universal deprimer is great if you add the extra step of depriming prior to tumbling. Then you can go straight from tumbling to working with primer pockets and such before even going back to the press.

The heavy duty version is hard to break, though IIRC you can't do anything smaller than about .27 cal with it. That's not a problem for most, but it won't do my 223 brass. They make a lighter duty deprimer that goes down to .22 if that's what you need.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

I love mine, i set up a small press just for it never have to change dies and can deprime and clean that days shooting in a few moments
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That is my next step, to setup an old lee press I have just for decapping. I used to tumble first, then resize. I was constantly finding media inside my brass no matter how hard I tried to get it all out, would get stuck by the primer, and it would foul the decapper. Now I punch out the primers and throw them into the tumbler. With the primer removed, I can blow air though the primer hole and clean out any media stuck in the flash hole. Resize, trim, prime, charge and repeat as necessary. Just seems to work better for me.

Steve

Default I've got an RCBS too.

I use it in an old Lee hand press - works great for all the random brass I pick up when I go shooting. I always scavenge for any kind of relodable brass, then trade what I don't need for something I do.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I have the Lee one and I love it. Very heavy duty and it has a permanent spot in my T7

OK, sounds like I need to order one.

After I wrote the original post, I went out to the shop and broke the rod on my back-up RCBS 30-06 dies. Depriming 1940s military brass.

#@**&%^$%!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I love mine, i set up a small press just for it never have to change dies and can deprime and clean that days shooting in a few moments
    Same thing I do. Deprime and toss the brass in the brass cleaner. I have a dedicated Lyman Crusher with a universal decapper. I almost never remove the die from the press.

Dan

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Whad'ever works for Yew

My RCBS universal decapping die comes in handy, mounted in my Turret press, if I have to decap a case for some reason, and my sizing die isn't in the press. I've never had a reason to use it to decap cases except for some special purpose.

A hand decapper and base does the job too.

I don't need no steenking tumbler.
    Clean brass with steel wool, and PPs with a Uniformer,
    Lube, including inside necks, and Size.
    Remove outside lube with a paper towel, and inside the necks with a cleaning rod loop, and patches.
    Trim and Chamfer if needed.
    Prime.
    Charge with powder.
    Seat bullets.

(I think yer spose to Deprime Military brass with a hand decapper, and a hammer.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Just another idea.

I do not have a universal decapping die. I use a Lee decapping base and rod. I cut a hole and counter bore in a board to lay on my lap to hold the base. The bottom of the board has a 1/4" pipe nipple threaded into it and a tube attached to that to lead to a container.

This may or may not make a better setup then an decapping die but it allows me to decap any where in the house. So I can sit in front of the TV with a hammer and decap.

So far the Lee decappers have held up great no signs of damage after 500 plus rounds many will some kind of sealant and a crimp.

I may consider a decapping die in the future just to try it out. I now decap and clean all brass before sizing and think it is the best way to do things.

Thumbs up Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    That is my next step, to setup an old lee press I have just for decapping. I used to tumble first, then resize. I was constantly finding media inside my brass no matter how hard I tried to get it all out, would get stuck by the primer, and it would foul the decapper. Now I punch out the primers and throw them into the tumbler. With the primer removed, I can blow air though the primer hole and clean out any media stuck in the flash hole. Resize, trim, prime, charge and repeat as necessary. Just seems to work better for me.

Steve
    Same experiences, methods and plans.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    Just another idea.

I do not have a universal decapping die. I use a Lee decapping base and rod. I cut a hole and counter bore in a board to lay on my lap to hold the base. The bottom of the board has a 1/4" pipe nipple threaded into it and a tube attached to that to lead to a container.

This may or may not make a better setup then an decapping die but it allows me to decap any where in the house. So I can sit in front of the TV with a hammer and decap.

So far the Lee decappers have held up great no signs of damage after 500 plus rounds many will some kind of sealant and a crimp.

I may consider a decapping die in the future just to try it out. I now decap and clean all brass before sizing and think it is the best way to do things.
    You be right.

I hadda Lee Decapper but it went with the Lee Loader when I sold it.

That's why I had to buy other hand decappers, but the Lee one had a base that worked with all case heads, and that was an advantage.

Decapping BEFORE sizing might save the primer debris from getting all over my press.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I keep Redding decapper die in my Turret press and punch primers then into the tumbler. This cleans all but the most grungy carbon deposits from the primer pocket. If I have my pockets cut to depth and don't need to do that this saves time and a work stage when prepping. Hand gun brass is sometimes very gritty and I want to clean it before I run it into my carbide sizer. Decapper die is a go.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have one on order....

I have been tumbling first, the resizing and then soaking in coca-cola for a couple hours to clean the primer pockets. Then hot wash and dry on the wood stove.