Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North trowards Lake Louise or South towards Hope for Bunnys?

Default North trowards Lake Louise or South towards Hope for Bunnys?

Myself and a couple other soldiers are think about getting after some rabbits this weekend. Were not to the greatest hunters, mostly city boys, but were trying. I've been reading these threads for over a year now mostly from Afghanistan, any tips, tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated. oh and we only got .22's no shotguns yet. Thanks in advance.

Don't use shotguns, it just destroys them if you get them with the full pattern.

PM sent.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default feel dumb

i dont know how to ceck my pm's! please help

a friend and i went up there in october and in november and we got 26 one time and 18 the other both pretty good trips.. and we used shotguns and 22s

Top right where it says Welcome, (your name) you should have a hyper link to get to your messages.

Default nope

my messages were full i guess i only get 3. theyre deleted if you wanna try agian, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Don't use shotguns, it just destroys them if you get them with the full pattern.

PM sent.
    Sorry MNV, couldn't disagree more. I've shot countless hundreds of rabbits over the last 30+ years and if I'm using a gun, it's a shotgun. If you are obliterating them with a shotgun then you need to change some things. Couple tips to prevent this: shoot them from farther away, use a more open choke, and shoot them with the edge of the shot pattern. Also, I use a larger shot size, #4, so that the pellet carries right through the carcass and doesn't end up lodged in the bunny. I rarely find a shot pellet in any of the hares I shoot. I like shooting them when they flush and on the run which is the way you see them most often.......try this with a rimfire. Good luck.

I enjoy using the .22, head shots only or not at all.Lil more of a challenge and no meat waste.

Default Hares with a .22

I agree with danthedewman1 and MNViking. I only use a .22. Move slow through the woods, keep your eyes open, look for the slight difference in the white of the fur from the snow, then pinpoint the little black eye. They'll keep still for a moment, then run if they realize you've pegged 'em. If you don't get the first shot off while they're holding still, and they break and run, then keep an eye on 'em and they'll soon stop to take one look back. That's your second chance. You miss that and they're usually gone. The rush from this hunting style far exceeds a shotgun for me! If you really want to up the ante, use a single shot. And the satisfaction of good recipes with NO pellets and NO meat damage, priceless
    The Lake Louise area is full of hares and lots of country to explore. Go have fun!

Default I guess Lake Louise it is.

We will be heading up there on Tuesday morning, gonna try to get there right before sunrise. Also is there any personal property up there we need to avoid, or better yet is there a way to find out who owns the land via the internet? Thanks for all the help, we're leaving Tuesday so any last minute tips will be helpful.

If single shot hunting is your thing that's cool....I get it. I've done plenty of it myself. Everybody has their preferences. I was only trying to make the point that there does not need to be meat destruction and pellets in the meat should you decide to use a scatter gun. Also, it seems like a lot of guys are coming up empty on their trips out bunny hunting. Many of these same guys don't have the knack for spotting them sitting still just yet and the only look they get at them are after they've busted. A shotgun will help bring a couple of the runners to the gamebag. Good luck.

I understand where your coming from Oats. I've shot a few with 5's and even though it passes through, it leaves the meat bloodshot and nasty. I'm good enough with a shotgun to hit a rabbit on the run, but not good enough to hit it on the run with the edge of the pattern.

I've considered getting a .410 but, I see enough rabbits sitting still that I just use my bow from now on. I'm not trying to feed a large family so I really don't need to go out and kill 18 a day. One bunny equals one stir fry for my wife and I. If I go, I like to get 3 or 4 and get some exercise.

If I was trying to feed my family, I'd go to the store. After the cost of gas, ammo, and time it's cheaper to buy beef.

A buddy showed me a good spot up north a ways on Friday. We got 3, but the chance to get more was there. Was packing the Buckmark .22 that day and wanted nothing but head shots.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgeoff View Post
    We will be heading up there on Tuesday morning, gonna try to get there right before sunrise. Also is there any personal property up there we need to avoid, or better yet is there a way to find out who owns the land via the internet? Thanks for all the help, we're leaving Tuesday so any last minute tips will be helpful.
    If you are actually on lakefront land, you are probably on someones land or too close to people. The closer it gets to open water and warmer temps, the more people will be out there. Find a parking lot along the LL road. Look to make sure there are no cabins near. If you have a snowmachine, get on a trail for a mile or so, then hunt. I would not recommend ATV's right now. LL road is 45 MPH and has some pretty rough spots due to frost heaving drive accordingly.

www.matsugov.us

Tree at Wolverine has a great burger if you feel the need.

P.S. Don't shoot my bunny. He was on tour last trip out, but should be guarding the burn barrel and doing standup comedy by now.

Wink thanks dirtofak

thanks for the tip. i dont think we're gonna go the whole way up to the lake, i was thinking about half way up lake louise rd and then just pulling off to the side of the road and walking off into the woods. we're gonna be on foot and we'll be driving a jeep cherokee 4x4 up lake louise rd. so the break down; 3 city boy soldiers fresh from a deployment, 4x4 jeep cherokee half way up lake louise rd., from there on foot into the woods in search of bunnies w/ 22's only no shotguns. hopefully we wont get lost. thanks everybody for the tips and tricks and wish us luck. and dirtofak if i see your bunny ill try to get him for you

good thing im a pilot geoff ill be able to navigate us if we get lost due to my '' PILOT TRAINING ''

Quote Originally Posted by jmgeoff View Post
    thanks for the tip. i dont think we're gonna go the whole way up to the lake, i was thinking about half way up lake louise rd and then just pulling off to the side of the road and walking off into the woods. we're gonna be on foot and we'll be driving a jeep cherokee 4x4 up lake louise rd. so the break down; 3 city boy soldiers fresh from a deployment, 4x4 jeep cherokee half way up lake louise rd., from there on foot into the woods in search of bunnies w/ 22's only no shotguns. hopefully we wont get lost. thanks everybody for the tips and tricks and wish us luck. and dirtofak if i see your bunny ill try to get him for you
    No man no!!!! Don't shoot my bunny. I made a deal with him over a bottle of whiskey. If he keeps the squirrels out of my cabin he can live rent free!!! You don't stand a chance anyway.... his name is Chucky Norris and he has internet.

BTW - Compass and/or GPS and maps for everyone. Snowshoes if you have them. Read the snow in the ditches. Take TP. Fuel up in Palmer. Watch for moose, they are averywhere and anywhere! Magic number for the State Patrol appears to be 10. 10 Over and you GET the ticket (even if you look old and sickly). Pack it in, pack it out. Have a great time, be safe with your weapons and thanks for your service from this old retired E-7 USAF!

Mike

Default thanks mike

thanks for all the help and ill try to leave your bunny alone as long as he shares some of that whiskey. seriously thank you.
    geoff

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    No man no!!!! Don't shoot my bunny. I made a deal with him over a bottle of whiskey. If he keeps the squirrels out of my cabin he can live rent free!!! You don't stand a chance anyway.... his name is Chucky Norris and he has internet.

BTW - Compass and/or GPS and maps for everyone. Snowshoes if you have them. Read the snow in the ditches. Take TP. Fuel up in Palmer. Watch for moose, they are averywhere and anywhere! Magic number for the State Patrol appears to be 10. 10 Over and you GET the ticket (even if you look old and sickly). Pack it in, pack it out. Have a great time, be safe with your weapons and thanks for your service from this old retired E-7 USAF!

Mike
    what are you talking about with the state patrol?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    what are you talking about with the state patrol?
    MPH over the limit magic number is 10 over & get a ticket
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast