Thread: Painting BIG jig heads

Default Painting BIG jig heads

Well i have a dozen 16 and 24oz jig heads and not its time to paint them. Do any of you have any tips as to what kind of paint works best? Powder or vinyl? Brands of paint? Any help would be appriceiated!

I have the best luck with powder and like it because it's so easy. The best "vinyl" I 've seen is done by devoted jig fishermen in Florida and other southern states. They dip their jigs in some variety of heavy appliance paint, hang to dry, then heat treat in an oven. Lots of steps and waiting around, but it definitely is a tough, thick finish that resists chips well.

BrownBear have you used powder with jigs that large?

The only way to go for me is regular old spray paint. a few coats of white, then a few of whatever color you want them to be. I use a light coat of Fol Green, or red on the bottom side of the jig. My clients can lose them so fast anything more would be a waste of time/ money. Never tried anything else. The paint does wear off after you bounce them off rocks for a few days, but they can also be lost on the first 2 seconds of a drop... kind of a catch 22.