Thread: Cooling Barrel, How Long at the range

Default Cooling Barrel, How Long at the range

Sighting in at the range and wanting to see utmost accuracy from new handloads, shooting a 270WSM the barrel gets quite warm after each round,

I bring the 22 pistol to shoot a clip between every shot, am running a Bore Snake through with a little solvent every three rounds, all to slow myself down and let the barrel cool

What do you guys do and for how long to achieve accuracy at the range

Can you gauge it by the feel of your hand on the barrel?

I've always used the rule of thumb that if I can't hold on to the barrel for five seconds then it's too hot so I let it cool until I can. I don't know if that actually correlates to any temperature threshold or not but it keeps me from just blasting away. In my .358 Norma #4 contour barrel that is 5-6 shots in as many minutes. The .270 Win with a lighter contour might only be 3-4 shots. I have never experienced and point of impact shift using this method and allowing the barrel to cool once it gets to that point. I am sure there are plenty of people who will chime in to tell me the error of my ways, but it works for me.

At the Wetzlar, Germany shooting range, I shot a 5 shot 1.5" group @300 meters with a standard contour Blaser 6.5x55 using Norma 100s. The barrel was so hot it burned a guys arm.

The mirage was brutal. The scope was a Zeiss Victory so I was able to fight it.

I usually let my LRS2 cool down when the mirage gets super heavy. The Leupy doenst handle mirage as well as the Zeiss.

The can heats up faster than the barrel.

Default cooling

was shooting my 243 win the other day. pushing 55grs at 4grand. outside temp was 15F. i was waiting about 1-2 min in between shots and never got a group over an inch. my smallest was just over 1/2''. just as long as you do wait some and allow for some cooling, you should be ok.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

In the old days, I would wait 1 Minute between shots. I dunno if it helped, but I read somewhere, that was the way to do it.

Now, I usually take my time between shots, but don't stop until after about 3 shots.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If you need to cool your barrel, bring a damp rag to the range and drape it over your barrel. Pull the rag off when cool and give the barrel a minute for temperatures within the steel to equilibrate, and off you go.

Bring a 22 and practice offhand between shots, where allowed. I have a ruger 77/22 for this purpose.

My rifles tend to be lightweight with thin barrel contours, so I shoot 4-shot groups. I shoot a quick set of two, let the barrel cool thoroughly while offhand shooting with the 22 or shooting another rifle, and then shoot the remaining two shots. I think a quick set of two shots is good simulation of field reality.