Thread: Record Moose

Thumbs up Record Moose

Does anybody have a list of the top 10 B & C Alaskan/Yukon moose. A friend just got his scored, 234 7/8. Real nice! I will try and post a photo later. Thanks

Greetings,

An Alaska/Yukon Moose scoring 234 7/8 is a dandy Moose, congradulations to your buddy!

However its not even close to being recoded as a "top 10".

I have the current book here, and depending on what year it will be offically entered and how many other Moose score above it, it should rank in the 150's or so....

Also you can check out www.boone-crockett.org If your a memeber you'll have full access to the site. One section worthy of checking often for the hunter/conservationist wanting to keep up on the lastest news is the page titled "trophy watch".

Quote Originally Posted by Byron_Lamb View Post
    One section worthy of checking often for the hunter/conservationist wanting to keep up on the lastest news is the page titled "trophy watch".
    There is a Bighorn from B.C. on that page.

Sheep Hunter, that is a nice bull. I'm looking forward to the pic.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

Dont think its close to the top 10, but still a very big moose!

svehunter.....that other photo in your post of a Bear and young person looks like Larry Rivers daughter, at any rate nice bear!

To better put in perspective B&C Moose scores keep in mind there are two (2) different levels to enter a trophy.

The "awards" program is commonly known as the "3-year book". An Alaska-Yukon Moose in the catagory needs a minimum score of 210 B&C points.

The "all time" program requires an Alaska-Yuknon Moose to meet an entry score of at least 224 B&C points.

The current World Record Alaska/Yukon Moose listed in the 2005, 12th edition scores at 261 5/8. The lowest recorded scoring Moose in the same book is 224 points.

There are about 516 different entries, or "rankings" for the Alaska-Yukon Moose catagory, however this number is somewhat subjective because several Moose are tied for the same "ranking" because the have the exact same entry score.

At any rate, 224 on the bottom and 261+ on the top.....the fellow refered to in the post reportedly harvested a Moose that offically scored 234+, which is slightly higher than the middle of the variables.
    Harvesting ANY animal, North Amercian and using fair chase methods, that will qualify for a B&C entry is very noteworthy.

Some people consistently harvest larger than average Moose, however the average person don't "hear" much about them because the outfitter has choosen not to bring added attention. I know for a fact of one Alaska outfitter that has more B&C entries, and more "top 10" entires for Alaska/Yukon Moose, client harvested animals, than ALL other outfitters combined. Recording animals in B&C is about the animal and all credit should be given accordingly...its a record of the speices, not about human ego.

byron is that the outfitter up on the koyokuk....him and his son run the outfitt? i know he takes some great moose outa there.

BRWNBR, I think the outfitter Byron might be talking about is Sam Fejes Jr. The paragraph below can be accessed in the second link.

For the next 35 years, I read up on Alaska-Yukon moose, their territory and the men who specialized in hunting them. By the time I was ready, my attention was focused on the country around the Bering and Tsiu rivers, east of Cordova, Alaska. This region accounts for roughly 20 of the top 100 Alaska-Yukon bull moose scored in the Safari Club system (total inches of antler with no deductions), including the number-one moose in this category.

http://www.fejesguideservice.com/

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/a...638252,00.html

I know that Sam takes some monster bulls out of his area,would not be supprised if its him you are talking about byron

Safari Club International scoring system is very liberal and somewhat subjective.

The guide/outfitter I refered to is much closer to home..........

Boone & Crockett is the oldest conservation organization in North Amercia, and the very bases for recording size of antler, horn, and skull. Kindly keep in mind that the in the begining the reason for keeping track of "size" was for a historical record of different speices. At the time most "hunting" was commercial "taking" of animals....certain animals were in real dangar of becoming extinct. Fast forward 100 years and not much has changed with the recording process. The very reason for "recording" animals is for a historic record, and to a degree a person can compare conservation measures to modern day game populations, deographic's, antler-horn-skull sizes, and other interesting "recorded" bilological data.
    Their record keeping program is second to none, it pays respect & honors the animal.

Byron, are you the outfitter that has produced more B&C Alaskan-Yukon moose for their clients than all the other outfitters combined?

There are some impressive moose on your site and that shed from "Ol Granddad" is something else! What is the width of that palm?
    http://www.alaskabiggamehunting.com/alcesalces.htm

Wow the old grandad shed looks huge!I wonder what that bull would score B&C

i was thining umphenhour or king.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i was thining umphenhour or king.
    Do you mean Gary king?

butch down at wildman lake
    Master guide 212

Yes Gary"butch" king
    His client Mark rose bagged this 81 inch monster bull in 2003
    Attached Images Attached Images

the peninsula is way underrated for moose if you ask me, some of the bulls i've seen down there while bear hunting have been incredable. i've always been farther south that butch, cause most of the stuff north gets hit harder from king salmon transporters and some local guides there too. outa sand point i saw alot of nice moose and the sandy river area had alot of them as well. logisticly its probably like hunting moose on the north side of the brooks. fly till ya find em...course thats not legal anymore, at least for guides its not.
    Master guide 212