Thread: Fishing from Freighters

Default Fishing from Freighters

Had a question regarding fishing from these bigger style canoes. Specifically the Albany & Hudson Bay.

A large percentage of my fishing is done while anchored in a Jon boat with the bow pointed upstream. I will be buying a new Alweld but I am considering purchasing a Scott freighter for my own use while also seeing if there is any interest here for them.

My questions will the Albany & Hudson Bay fish well at anchor with out swaying in the current?

How many can fish comfortably from the Albany?

Default Scott Albany

Yes, stable at anchor, and no harm no foul when one kid says "Hey look at that" and all other kids look down over the same gunnel all at once.

Easily 3 in an Albany, but more if they're coordinated. And of course more than that in a HB.

Have used my 21' HB to fish out of anchored. There are better boats to do so difficult to move around in. Will work but a john boat is better suited for that, have tried to back troll and is a little tricky to maintain a straight back drift, constant correcting then overcorecting. I prefer to fish from shore when using my HB or on anchor better with 3 or less fishing. Trying to get from one end of the boat to the other to net a king can
    be a challenge. Just saying there are better fishing boats!

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Have used my 21' HB to fish out of anchored. There are better boats to do so difficult to move around in. Will work but a john boat is better suited for that, Just saying there are better fishing boats!
    Your post summed up what I was thinking.

But when I need the fuel economy & load capacity that these boats can give Im thinking I "Might" work with & plan around the negatives.

Just kicking around the idea of using these boats right now.