Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: "Moose Nugget"

  1. #1
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default "Moose Nugget"

    I recently got my Mosin Nagant rifle ($117 delivered) and last night I cleaned it up. Mosin Nagant is pronounced "moo-sin nah-gon", so I have affectionately dubbbed my new rifle "Moose Nugget". Thanks to Stranger for inspiring me re: these old rifles.
    It came nearly completey coated in grease, which I took off the first night. But last night I got serious and stripped it down to the bare, oil-soaked cheap wood (fir?). Having sanded it as smooth as possible, I then mixed red oak stain with brown shoe polish and begin to polish iit into the grain. After this I cleaned up the metal parts and (since they were not blued) used 600 grit, then Black permanent marker to detail them. I put the rifle back together (very easy to field strip) and below is the result.

  2. #2
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default More

    I wanted to get a pic of the "nugget" next to my Model 70 '.06 which I have called "Little Winnie" since I bought her in '85. She weighs more! The other pic is to contrast the ammo they use.

    I have decided to keep the old fellow pretty much original, but I will be adding a muzzle break, recoil pad, down-turned bolt handle, and a MOJO aperature sight to the mix, which won't change the overall looks too much.

  3. #3
    Member moose-head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Seminary, Dubuque Ia
    Posts
    839

    Default

    I was inspired by the same thread, but I will have to wait a couple of years to get mine.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  4. #4
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Let me get this right Sayak, you're going to put a 'moose nugget' up to your cheek and pull it in tight to your shoulder?

  5. #5
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default Dude-

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Let me get this right Sayak, you're going to put a 'moose nugget' up to your cheek and pull it in tight to your shoulder?
    ... and kiss it afterward!

    I just took it out on the range and shot a box of rounds through it (cheap Greek rounds). I was able to get windage at 40 yards, but even with the ramp site cranked all the way down it grouped a minimum of 6" high. I was able to get one (probably by accident) a mere inch above dead center. I am looking forward to installing, and sighting in a MoJo sight.

    The kick was way less than I antipated, though I had it rested and was wearing a vest.

    Though the gun will remain a "moose nugget", after shooting it, its new monker is "Boris".

  6. #6
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... and kiss it afterward!

    I just took it out on the range and shot a box of rounds through it (cheap Greek rounds). I was able to get windage at 40 yards, but even with the ramp site cranked all the way down it grouped a minimum of 6" high. I was able to get one (probably by accident) a mere inch above dead center. I am looking forward to installing, and sighting in a MoJo sight.

    The kick was way less than I antipated, though I had it rested and was wearing a vest.

    Though the gun will remain a "moose nugget", after shooting it, its new monker is "Boris".
    You git good with "Boris" maybe you'll get an invite from Stranger.

  7. #7
    Member e45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    317

    Default Never ever

    I've never seen a M91/30 wearing a muzzle-break or a recoil pad. Not needed IMHO and I have three + a polish M44. Don't forget to check the crown for nicks and try and find some stripper-clips to speed loading.
    Learning about these old workhorses is fun. As Stranger noted in several posts, the russians used a 6 O'clock hold, so will shoot high with a standard center hold. Winchester white box is available in 180gr RNSP and Sierra makes their pro hunter bullets in the correct .311 diameter in both 150gr & 180gr.


    Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

  8. #8
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default Recoil pads...

    Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    I've never seen a M91/30 wearing a muzzle-break or a recoil pad. Not needed IMHO and I have three + a polish M44. Don't forget to check the crown for nicks and try and find some stripper-clips to speed loading.
    Learning about these old workhorses is fun. As Stranger noted in several posts, the russians used a 6 O'clock hold, so will shoot high with a standard center hold. Winchester white box is available in 180gr RNSP and Sierra makes their pro hunter bullets in the correct .311 diameter in both 150gr & 180gr.


    Ed
    ... they are everywhere on e-bay and elsewhere, and cheap! They replace the steel butt plate exactly, but do lengthen the stock 1". Yes, after shooting mine, perhaps not needed, but what the hey?

    I'm probably going to by-pass the muzzle break since the kick wasn't that bad anyway and should be even less with the recoil pad. I found a link that suggested placing a piece of stirring straw or wire insulation over the front site post to raise it up as needed. Seems reasonable, and I will probably give it a try rather than change my rifle shooting habits. Change... nyet! I think I will shoot through another box of rounds with the sight post tweak before I get the MoJo sight. Going to also try a higher quality round this time to see whether that affects the shooting.

    As for the bent bolt; I can get a refurb with choice of down-turn, polished and ready to drop in for $55 delivered. I like that. Mine has a sticky bolt anyway.

    Yes, I am truly enjoying "Boris". The MN is a fascinating rifle to learn about, work on and shoot. I'm hoping for the opportunity to use it on a blackbear this fall.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •