Thread: ""I think that you should make that fishing trip to Alaska!"

Default ""I think that you should make that fishing trip to Alaska!"

"I think you should make that fishing trip to Alaska you have always been talking about!", my wife said last August. I did not pay too much attention to her suggestion as I had heard that salmon fishing trips to Alaska could cost arms and legs and to a 76 year old pensioner it was out of the question. Then again in November my wife asked what had I done about the Alaska trip. Now I do not know about you guys, but when your wife is insisting you go on a fishing trip of a lifetime then I am sure you will agree that it would be rather impolite to ignore her !! So I started to surf the internet to check out thye costs of a fishing trip to Alaska.

I looked at lodges, fly-in trips, etc. and found that I could be looking at the thick end of $5,000 or more - and I was still in England!! It was then that I struck gold !! Whilst looking for information I came across a book entitled, "Alaska Fishing on a Budget", by Bernard R. Rosenberg. Now if there are any fishermen out there who, Like me, dream of a trip to fish Alaska, then this book is for you !!! I read through it twice and could not put it down! It puts a whole new slant on the cost of a fishing trip to Alaska, with all of the information, tips and advice it contains to keep down the costs of an Alaskan trip.

Having read the book twice, it was clear that the author had a lot of experience of fishing in Alaska - he had been there! .... done it! .... and bought the T-shirt!!! The book prompted questions in my own mind , regarding the nuts and bolts of a trip - like what rods, lures, flies, airport hotels, etc. So I chanced my arm and wrote to the Publishers of the book and asked them if it was possible for them to pass on my questions to Mr Rosenberg to see if he could advise me on some specific points. I was amazed and thrilled to receive no less than three emails from him within 24 hours !! Even now, some months later, when I have questions I whistle them off to him and back come his replies. That in itself tells me that he is a true fisherman ......... always ready to lend a helping hand to a fellow angler.

Well, the full impact of the book was subsequently revealed in that, having taken a lot of his advice all the way down the line, I have organised my own trip to Alaska for July 2010 and my estimated overall cost for everything - accomodation, flights, food, guides, car rental, fishing licence - the lot, works out at $3,222!! ........... and that includes my flight from England!! It would have been cheaper still if my buddy had been able to come and share some of the costs, but I am travelling alone!!

So, if you happen to read this website forum, Bernard, I would like to express my sincere thanks for your wonderful book and your personal advices, which have enabled this old-timer to fulfil the dream of a lifetime!!

Default Yes Sir

Well I am sure B will be out and about and do some posting on your comments. I have had the pleasure of having B.R. come up and spend some days working a trip with me on the Gulkana he is a first rate individual and was willing to go the extra mile to obtain his information. Great post thanks for making it. I hope you enjoy your Once In a Life Time trip to the Great State of Alaska.

Respectfully

Richard "Moose" Mousseau
    BMR

Default Welcome!

Well, cheerio Gov! You're going to have a great time. Fill us in on your plans when you get a chance and some of us may meet up with you when you're in or area.
    Bernard is a regular on ts forum, and I'm sure he'll chime in.

Best, jim

It's a great book.

You'll probably find that once you get here for your trip of a lifetime you'll find ways to save even more money for your second trip of a lifetime.

Have fun and make sure to post your comments after you've experienced the Great Land.

Welcome aboard, Eric! Sounds like you've got some great plans, and a great wife as well. Stay in touch on here in the coming months to get reports when fish start running, and make sure you come back and tell us all how it was when your trip is complete.

Along with Bernard's book, another one that will be helpful for planning a trip on a budget is The Highway Angler by Gunnar Pedersen. It is a indespensible book for the do-it-yourself angler visiting Alaska.

Default Alaska, at last!

Wish you were coming in August-you could hang with us! We are in the planning stages of our "trip Of a Lifetime", as well. My wife, my 18 year old son, and perhaps our older son have a motorhome reserved, and will be doing it ourselves for a couple of weeks. We do have a couple of guided days planned, but most of it is on our own. Keep in touch!

Quote Originally Posted by bmbmd View Post
    Wish you were coming in August-you could hang with us! We are in the planning stages of our "trip Of a Lifetime", as well. My wife, my 18 year old son, and perhaps our older son have a motorhome reserved, and will be doing it ourselves for a couple of weeks. We do have a couple of guided days planned, but most of it is on our own. Keep in touch!
    Don't be shy about fleshing out more details about your plans. As you'll see, folks here are generous about sharing information and answering questions, even of the type I usually pose - the stupid ones.

Welcome!

- Jay

Don't worry we have stupid answers too!! (at least me!). You can easily fish on the cheap if you know what to do. Congratulations on the trip!

Yep, I read his book, and now I go every year and the fishing is GREAT.

I never pay for airfare (read the book). I'd guess my whole trip cost's less than $1500 per person.

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2006.htm

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2007.htm

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2008.htm
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Norwich, Connecticut, United States, 112479075430288, Norwich, Connecticut

Default Trip of a lifetime

I couldn't help but be very interested in your trip. I have friends in New Zealand wanting to do the trip of a lifetime to the Kenai and was wondering if you would mind sharing any of your information? No pressure if your not comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiSalmonGuy View Post
    I couldn't help but be very interested in your trip. I have friends in New Zealand wanting to do the trip of a lifetime to the Kenai and was wondering if you would mind sharing any of your information? No pressure if your not comfortable with it.
    Have your friends join the forum and ask away. There's lots of great guys on this forum that are willing to answer questions. Collectively, there is literally thousands of years of fishing and travelling experience in Alaska on this forum. Winter in Alaska is a great time to ask questions. Come summer, everyone is fishing.

Eric- I know you will enjoy your trip of a lifetime! But beware many people come to Alaska, and never go home. They just like it too much to leave! It might be cheaper and more fulfilling for you to come, and fly the wife to Ak at the end of the trip and show her the house, truck, boat, and life you have started here! All jokes aside Enjoy it, I'm very happy for you!

Default DIY fishing

I've been to AK twice; a DIY moose hunt in 06 and a DIY fishing trip in 08. Going back in August this year for 7 days of fishing. Two of us have a 31' RV rented for $1,100 with unlimted mileage and will fishing the Kenai for 3 days then to Seward for two days of Halibut/silver fishing. Our airfares were free with frequent flyer miles. Our entire trip should be around $1,500 each. I love AK!