Thread: Got Electronics?

Default Got Electronics?

Ok the new boat is bare with the exception of a smokin hot heater. So you ocean pro's help a fella out what should the cabin need? Fans? CO2 detector! Anchor system? Radar? Depth?
    VHF? What else?
    Thanks Louie

Hi louie, firstaid kit,life jackets, flaregun, toolkit waterproof handheld vhf.... I have a garmin 2010 it does everything..have fun.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

alaskalouie,
    Don't know what size boat you have, but if you are thinking about installing a windlass, I'd go with the Lewmar Pro 1000 and matching bow roller. One of the reasons I bought this model is because it allows the anchor to free fall. My neighbor has the 750 model but its power out only. This not only takes time but you're usually off the spot before it hits bottom.

Also, if you have a small rope locker be careful about how much line you put on there. 400 to 500 feet should be plenty.

Lastly, if you plan on fishing and anchoring up in Cook Inlet, use plenty of chain. That's what really holds the anchor in place. I'd recommend enough chain to match the length of your boat plus at least 10 ft. The Cook Inlet charter guys I have talked to use 50 ft of chain on their 28 ft boats.

Hi Louie,

Lewmar Pro series windlasses come in two sizes, 700 and 1000. The Pro Fish models (also in 700 and 1000 sizes) have the free fall feature. Choose the model (and the chain size) size appropriate for your boat - the 1000 has more power than the 700. Smaller boats do well with the 700 and 1/4" G4 (high test) chain spliced to rope. As mentioned above, at least a boat length of chain.

Without knowing where and how far you plan to be going:

If you're going any distance, I'd be installing a decent fixed-mount VHF and 8-foot antenna - much better range and reception than a handheld. Make sure the antenna connection is done absolutely correctly.

Fixed-mount chartplotter too. Fishfinder, of course. Radar is a mighty good idea, and Furuno 1623 can be had for only about $1300. Not necessarily all in a combo unit - if you have the room to mount them conveniently, separate units have some advantages. There are pros and cons.

If you're going to do longer cruises, there's a lot to talk about. Check the preview of my book on Lulu.com for a good rundown.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Default Lets see a picture of your new boat.

So when are you going to post a picture of the new boat? I haven't been on here much lately but I did see you selling the Koyukuk moose slayer on Craiglist and figured it was only time until you got another one