Thread: OAL Gauge

Default OAL Gauge

Was working on some loads for my 325WSM and wanted to measure max OAL to the lans. I started looking for an AOL gauge. I already have the old stoney point gauge and just needed the modified case for 325wsm. After I started looking I found out they don't make one.

So I took a new case and modified it to work, reamed out the neck and drilled and tapped the back.

My question is how far back from the lans for the following bullets???

Barnes TSX

Nosler Accubond

Nosler Partition

I have read that Barnes TSXs shoot best between .030 to .070 off the lans.

So many choices, so little time.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 02-20-2010 at 02:13.

I've been using a Hornady overall length gauge for some time but recently purchased a set of bullet comparators to go with it. Using the overall length gauge only, my results were inconsistent. Using the comparators I feel don't get nearly as much variation so feel much more comfortable with the results.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=231904

I've had good luck starting at .020 off the lands.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Nice job with the adaptation work...

TSX's...I start at .05 off the lands and adjust from there...usually moving further out rather than closer to find the sweet spot. It is definately true in my experience that they like to be further off the lands than other bullets.

With other bullets I concur with the idea of .02 to start...however, when tuning the load for accuracy I usually end-up getting as close as I can without jamming it into the lands when chambered (and of course still fitting in the magazine).

Doc

Default Magazine as limit?

As Doc mentions your magazine as the limit, how many of you have found the lands and .02 back from that point as being longer than your magazine?

I haven't found out how to get the measurement to the lands (new guy) but am wondering how much further the Max OAL for an awesome load could be than the magazine made for the rifle?

I also wonder if each individual rifle according to manufacture date or serial number etc. has a different distance to the lands and if the mag is a generic item so by limiting myself to the mag length I am missing the "best possible" length for my rifle. Even if it means becoming a single shot for the range and playing with accuracy search

I read somewhere that as the manufacturer builds many rifles from one set of equipment that wears out over many barrels, the lands go from shorter to longer as the one type of rifle is manufactured. (maybe that is from longer to shorter?)

Still working on using dummy bullet to find lands, trying a longer bullet with smoke charred tip is next, I am still working on powder type which works best etc. but this question was right in front of me last night as I am loading a Hornady SST that has a lot of length to play with, just going to max mag depth at this point but am curious

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    As Doc mentions your magazine as the limit, how many of you have found the lands and .02 back from that point as being longer than your magazine?
    I have more rifles that fit the above description than rifles that allow an oal touching the lands and still fitting in the magazine. I work with what I have but it is a real joy to be able to load out to the lands and still be able to fit the magazine. I just had a .22-250 Remington re-barreled to .22-250 AI and I have no problem seating to the lands and still being able to fit in the box. Now, the 7mm Ultra Mag, that's a different story!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

My new Winchester Model 70 has enough magazine to allow me to reach the lans on all the bullets I'm currently loading. Loading the next batch now, going to move the Barnes back and both Noslers forward.

Steve