Thread: 300 ultra mag with a 24" barrel

Default 300 ultra mag with a 24" barrel

Velocity experts,

I am giving some thought to buying a 300 ultra mag. I see that Remington offers it only in a 26 barrel. If I were to have the barrel cut and re-crowned to 24 what velocities would I lose with lets say a 180 grain bullet? Am I loosening so much that I would be better off with a 300 win mag. with a 24 barrel?

Montana338

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

You'd probably lose about 50 FPS maybe 75 but I doubt it would be anymore than that. Remington used to make the 700's with a 24" barrel. Guess they found out that this cartridge needs a 26" barrel to perform up too expectations. Personally I think it would benefit with a 28" barrel.

Wink

Montana, First I would like to say that i'm no expert. However i've shot the 7mm RUM, and the 300 RUM at the bench bolth with no cronograph.The two guns had 26 inch barrels which you probily need to get top vel. with the slow burning powders they use .I suspect that is why Remington sells them on their rifles.I can tell you this, the hot spot on the barreled action is a full 14 inches, gusstimate,foward of the chamber throat. Much more foward than any 7mm rem mag, or 338 win mag that I have fired. This leads me to believe that the powder is not burning until much later in the firing process when fired. Doubt if there is much advantage in buying a 300 RUM and chopping the barrel to 24, I don't know any one who has. The wife got me a 375 RUM with a 24 inch barrel for Christmas which I have not fired yet, but Hodgdon lists data in that cal. with a 24 in. barrel, in their Manual. Bill.

I thought that removing 2 of the barrel might compromise this cartridge to much. I like the shorter barrels for handling purposes. I guess I will stick with the 300 mag.
    Thanks guys for your feedback,
    Montana