Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhondy Hide and Horn Auction coming soon!

Default Rhondy Hide and Horn Auction coming soon!

Hi folks,

I was at the Anchorage ADFG office this week and came up with the following information pertaining to the 2010 Fur Rendezvous Hide and Horn Auction in Anchorage. Keep in mind that most of these items were confiscated either from DLP kills of bears or illegal take of game animals. There should be some good stuff in there for reasonable prices... okay, reasonable to some.

Date / Time: Sunday, Feb. 28, 2010. Preview from 10am-noon, auction from noon to 3pm.

Items available:

• Brown Bear Hides- (60)
    • Black Bear Hides- (21)
    • Wolf hide (I was told it was pretty ratty)- (1)
    • Goat- (1)
    • Dall Sheep Horns- (1 set)
    • Moose Antlers- (46 sets)

Should be an interesting opportunity for folks looking for something for the cabin or whatever.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

60 brown bear hides, is that alot or is that normal? ....On the DLP kills, how extensive are their investigations?.....hope people aren't just killin' them just to get pictures with.

Only one set of sheep horns.......I heard there were several sub-legal sheep taken this past season.

The horns can't be sold until all legal proceedings are finished. Most cases take more than a few months to resolve.

Steve

Talking

Very ironic twist of fate, for one persons worst nightmare to turn into some else's sheer delight. So it goes in this fabric of life we weave.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    60 brown bear hides, is that alot or is that normal? ....On the DLP kills, how extensive are their investigations?.....hope people aren't just killin' them just to get pictures with.

Only one set of sheep horns.......I heard there were several sub-legal sheep taken this past season.
    wasn't the auction canceled last year? due to some issue of who got the auction bid and funding? i don't think all are from one season..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Maybe good prices if those Russians don't show up again .They buy up everything. Still fun to go and see how high they sell for.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Another thing-

Also I was told that the hides are fleshed, salted, and dried. That means you will have to have it tanned yourself. The folks at ADFG told me that black bear hides go for around $250 or so...

As to the other questions, I don't know. I am sure there were more than one Dall sheep seized this year, but as was mentioned, those cases sometimes take a while. And some are dropped, with the goods returned to the hunter.

Looks kinda fun; I've never been to the auction before, but if you think about it, it's about the only thing left of the original purpose of the Rendezvous. The rest is gone, replaced by carnival rides, outhouse races and deep-fried twinkies...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You forgot about the caribou..Oh I'm sorry reindeer run Mike If you have never been to the auction its a blast to see how high some of these hides go for . I bought a black bear cub hide about 5 -6 years ago for $100
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Pictures

Is the auction company set and do they post pictured of the items for sale before hand?

-TJ

Is there a website you can go to and see some of the items first?

It looks like the Alaska Trappers' Association is doing the auction this year. There is going to be an oppurtunity to view the available items, starting I believe at 10 but there isn't a website to view them before hqand.

Default To Bad

To bad they don't post pictures and even give you the chance to bid online for items. Would probably generate more funds.

-TJ

Default No antlers last year

I stuck it out last year looking for a specific set of items, from the pre-viewing to the end of the auction in temps around zero, maybe this year will be a bit warmer. Last year an auction company in Anchorage ran the show; they had a website setup and you could not only preview the skins but bid online in real time.

This year it looks like the Trapper's Association will be running it so I couldn't guess how it will go. They will let you look through the items prior to bidding. They are usually stacked five or six deep on pallets--get there early and make your selections--the hides are tagged with a number so you can keep track.

Note, last year you had to pay a fee to bid ($30 I think) and a 10% auction fee above and beyond what you won the bid at. There were about the same amount of fur last year as there appears to be this year. No charges if you just want to watch the show.

The skins are all fleshed, salted and dried--not tanned. The quality in skinning ran from good to not-good--only about half would be nice enough for a full body mount--all could have been rugged.

There was a handful of taxidermists with small booths there that seemed to be catering to those that had just parked their subaru, put on their synthetic performance clothing and bid on a bear (I'm assuming they were "just visiting" alaska for a few years and wanted a bear rug for their wine and cheese parties back home.) They were very funny to watch--one woman in Birkenstocks wanted only a female bear...

Last year F&G didn't have any antlers/horns at the Anchorage auction so that will be a plus. There are never seems to be any moose/antlered game capes--just the antlers. Hopefully more details will be forthcoming with the annual Fur Rondy insert in the Anchorage Daily News, at least you'll know who to contact for specific info.

Also, as an aside--the prices ranged from expensive to just crazy expensive for the nicer brown bears (8.5 feet squared and larger). A few limited bears went for a bit higher than just crazy because the bidders clearly wanted "that bear". But otherwise, the average 8' brownie went for $800, 8.5' $900 and the handful of bears around 9' were consistantly bid at $2K which I thought was insane. But it wasn't my money.

The black bears averaged $600 for 5' $7-800 for 6'. There were a handful of cubs/smaller bears that went for $6-800 but the bidding was fierce as they make good mounts with some imagination.

Default Rondi..

I wanted this bear back but can't afford him...
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's the story behind that bear, hope you were not in the tent

Default fur Rondy

Am looking for a brown bear rug for my father and was speaking with Russell from Knights taxidermy , he tells me, lots of <8 footers and a handful over! Only 1 bear over 9ft and it has a standing bid of 10K!! Now thanks insane.
    I understand the State is now allowing the sale of bears from a limited area? If that's so, keep me in mind.

Default Fur Rondy

Anyone know date and time of auction?

Mike listed it in the OP.

Date / Time: Sunday, Feb. 28, 2010. Preview from 10am-noon, auction from noon to 3pm.

Steve

Smile Rondy fur auction

Thanks Steve

Default ATA Fur Auction Saturday...

There is also an auction of trapper's fur Saturday at noon (I think) at Rondy Central. This is a great chance to pick up furbearer hides (everything from ermine to wolf to wolverine) for decoration or fur sewing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast