Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: The Park's of Alaska

  1. #1
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default The Park's of Alaska

    Thought I'd throw this one in here to,

    How is the game managed in the parks?

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    How is it managed, or how should it be managed? Additionally, which parks? There are state parks, national parks, national preserves, etc. - each with its own set of regulations. Most national parks don't allow hunting with the exception of those who live in the park, whereas most state parks allow some hunting with limitations varying on the area.

    Not sure what exactly you're asking, though...

  3. #3
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Let's just take Denali for example,

    If there are so many concern's outside of the park about game pop. why are they not inforced inside the park?

    Just curious.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Let's just take Denali for example,

    If there are so many concern's outside of the park about game pop. why are they not inforced inside the park?

    Just curious.

    Still a very broad question, could easily be taken in the wrong direction.


    Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

  5. #5
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Ultimately they are not managed in Denali. They boom and bust just like they did throughout history.

  6. #6

    Wink

    Parks only manage People. Seems as though ADF&G has taken on this philosphy as well.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    I Agree with LuJon (and with Akres), that the wildlife populations within our "parks" are not managed. Or, to borrow a phrase from a past AK Gov..."nature just runs wild".
    And that is why the wildlife populations within Denali Nat park are always at a "low level of equilibrium".

    Dennis

  8. #8
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    the game in Denali is in a preserve, that does not necessarily have any management rules, though portions of the Newest addition of Denali may be hunted on and portions have federal substance hunts on them... though the FOUNDING of Denali in part was to allow it to preserve game and to make a "breeding area" that would allow game to grow beyond the park boundaries and make it harvest able for the residents.


    in part this is some of the issues with pred management in 20C NOW as the park is nearly 1/3 the unit and has become a haven for predatory animals.. b increasing the " buffer zone around the park the wolf in excess are not trapped they are allowed to come to and from, According to the nat park bio the caribou are at a lowest level of all time..." but are fairing well"

    How ever the dept is not willing to take on another Pred management area, until the social issues of 20A and 20 b intensive management issues are resolved... if the pred management goes into effect then the result will be increased ungulate populations that left UN checked due to low hunter density's and access restrictions of that unit they will result in a further crash.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  9. #9
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Parks only manage People. Seems as though ADF&G has taken on this philosphy as well.
    Pretty much spot on.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •