Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warm spell bears

Default Warm spell bears

What do you folks think the odds are a few bears are out to stretch their legs??

Yes, I realize I just jinxed us into 3 more months of cold and nasty. I couldn't help it...
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i think if you know the where and the WHAT to look for you might find one... it is NOT the cold that keeps them in or near the den but the snow as Black and Grizz have hairless soles on the feet. though you may find one laying in the sun out side of it or very near it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fair if the weather keeps up. I'm going to do a bit of glassing/hiking on Sunday or Monday.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Lots of bare ground on the mountains here by me and all this run off will make poorly chosen dens quite wet.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default early rising black bears...

Perhaps a black bear might get flooded out of a den, if that bear had picked a poor den site. But that bear will generally re-den immediately. This happens often with black bears and less often with brown bears.

But 99% of the time, I believe a bear emerges from its den when some type of natural food is ready to become available. Therefore, I'm still looking at the first week of May, + or - a few days for hibernation to end in southcentral AK...at the 1000 to 1500 elevation level. I can agree that "Anchorage-elevation-bears" emerge a week+ sooner. Because unless global warming speeds up the spring warm weather, that is when the grass will begin growing and when the birch trees begin budding in southcentral AK. When a bear stops hibernating, it needs food.

When southcentral black bears emerge from dens, they actually just stand around...then sleep...then stand around for a few hours...then sleep more....then begin to walk around a little...then sleep less...then after 2 or 3 days of that they head for new grass. If grass is not yet available, they climb birch trees and eat the tiny little leaf buds that are forming.

A black bears early spring behavior for the first few days out of the den are not unlike my first 30 minutes out of bed every morning. I get up...walk to the kitchen and make coffee...then fall into a chair and turn on the outdoor channel and watch it like a zombie....then get up and pour a cup of coffee...then fall back into the chair like a zombie...then get up and drink my coffee and eat something...then fall back into the zombie chair, but beginning to wake-up...then I look at the clock, realize I'm late like always, race around the house like crazy getting ready for work and drive like mad to work. My night of hibernation has ended! Similar to a bears first few days after the big sleep.

...based only on my black bear observations and real life experiences...

And while I do not ski much anymore, I do walk, hike, and snowshoe several hours every weekend. Today I was off work, and snowshowed for two hours on an Anchorage hillside trail....and saw zero bear tracks. I'll certainly post here if I do see any bear tracks.

Dennis

Default Well.....

...since i've seen fresh tracks this time of year around Anchorage (ski trails mostly) the last couple of years, I would say the odds are pretty high.

Default bears

They are gonna be everywhere Dennis, don't go snowshoeing.

If we start to get some more rain and the dens get wet some might start showing up.

i was out up here around fairbanks this weekend and there was very little snow in the hills and it was a lot warmer up there then here in fairbanks i think at one point the truck temp said 45. So ill be out lookin again

I have been seeing cantankerous old bear sign all winter long.......mostly from them typing on these forums and yeah yeah, I know, takes one to know one

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Drizzled here today.
    No good comes from that as our sky are clearing and the temps dropping.

We hope like heck it stops, 'cause it will crust the Caribou's Moss with ice and kill alotta them, especcially the young ones.

A smart might fatten up a bit, never know........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i think if you know the where and the WHAT to look for you might find one... it is NOT the cold that keeps them in or near the den but the snow as Black and Grizz have hairless soles on the feet. though you may find one laying in the sun out side of it or very near it.
    PLEASE! Tell me you're just "spoofing" about the ..."hairless soles" keeping them in or near the den. PLEASE!
    Joe (Ak)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    PLEASE! Tell me you're just "spoofing" about the ..."hairless soles" keeping them in or near the den. PLEASE!
    Joe (Ak)
    common joe, you saying discovery channel is wrong? marty stoffer too? they have tender feet coming out of the den and do not have the protective hair the polar does, it takes some time for them to toughen back up. it is also the snow and ice that drive the boars into the dens in the fall...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

bears pads grow while they are in the den, you catch one straight outa the hole and his pads are four times as long and thick, they just wear off the growth in the spring, its like a beavers tooth, they keep growing and they just keep wearing them down...
    if bears have tender feet coming outa the den, i'd think they walk straight downhill and stand in the grass so marty s. can get some good shots!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

dunno? i have 6 on the wall 3 of which were at most a day out of the den and little to no hair on the pads, one i caught as he was laying on his belly sliding down the slope of a mtn in Thompson's pass. has hairy toes but we still had bare pads the June bears have considerably less hair all the way around, and the Fall bear(#7) is still at the taxi..

but feet are not the issue... how far will they go from the den this time of year is... i agree with Dennis they will re-den if out now, and know the best way to find one is looking for tracks on the south facing slopes in the snow... watching the area late eve's to catch them them returning and watching for warm spot on the hill to catch them sunning during the day

meet on face book here

just goes to show, think you know a bear and he'll wear the hair off his pads diggin' out...
    i've shot them a long ways from the dens and still had about a half inch of pad. they all different though too...some den south facing..some don't. all that matter is he's on your wall vince!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Pads "growing thicker" during hibernation certainly has not been our experience with bears. In fact quite the opposite. My impression has been the pads respond to "stress" the same way our feet do. Lay around all winter and the feet become "soft", the toughness is the result of being used no different than the formation of a calluses.
    Often when these animals exit the den they will remain close to the den site then all of a sudden just go, certainly nothing during this period of inactivity would "wear down" the pads.
    Not certain what hair is being worn of the pads, since it never grows there.
    Even on the south end of Kodiak, I doubt that in most circumstances when a bear is driven from the den because of flooding, and it certainly does occur, that the bears are afforded the "luxury" of digging another den site. Most are probably "forced" the hibernate in the same manner as some of those larger males.
    I would assume the mature animals can in most circumstances "deal" with being driven from the den even another can not be dug, however, in the case of sows with cubs, especially new born, their future is probably pretty bleak.
    Joe (Ak)

I did see a deer (fat doe) in town this morning which is at least a couple months early.

All this talk about "Hairy Pads" is startin' to make me want to go wonder around in the hills....

Jake our experience was the same. We have one hanging on the wall, right out of the den, his plug was still in when we butchered him. The pads of his feet are covered in an inch or two of thick fur. The pads themselves don't have hair on them, but it is very long plush hair coming out from between the toes.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    bears pads grow while they are in the den, you catch one straight outa the hole and his pads are four times as long and thick, they just wear off the growth in the spring, its like a beavers tooth, they keep growing and they just keep wearing them down...
    if bears have tender feet coming outa the den, i'd think they walk straight downhill and stand in the grass so marty s. can get some good shots!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast