Thread: moving from Minnesota

Default moving from Minnesota

New to the site. Have lived out in Dutch moved to Minnesota. Relocating to Palmer area. Love the lake & rivers in MN but work forces move. Question is if the 18' fish&ski fiberglass I have will have to be traded for something more suited to the area. Thanks.

If its in good shape bring it with you, it can't be any worse then some of the "vessels" i see folks riding around in. Saw 2 guys in a bass boat out of Whittier a few years ago, they looked really good sitting in the high chairs

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Palmer Area boats in a nutshell smallest on up....

One man pontoon or tube style.
    Canoe
    Small Jon/V-hull with electric or small outboard.
    Larger 16-18' jon with 25-70 HP jet.
    Wooldrige Alaskan, Jetcraft etc with windshield in the 16-19 foot range.
    Huge jon 20'+ with large jet
    Airboat - Unlimited class
    Large Jetboat, Northridge, Wooldridge, etc....
    Saltwater boats for Whittier/Seward/Homer etc...

I know at least one guy with a walleye boat (Bob step in please) it works great for the larger lakes, but has no windshield/top.

Palmer waters (IMO)

Knik River - trips to the glacier and some silver fishing. Small jon or preferably an airboat.

Small lakes - trout, dollies, pike - Many are float tube/canoe

Larger lakes - Lake Louise, Skilak, and Tustemena can be very rough, VERY fast. Lake trout mostly.

Smaller rivers - Salmon - Little Su - Small to medium jetboat. Short season

Larger rivers - Big Su, Yentna - Salmon, some pike, some trout, hooligan, burbot - Larger Jetboats 16' and up.

Due to cost and my lack of desire to learn the waters, I only go on salt with other peoples boats either friends or a charter.

IMO - Post a picture of your boat with specs, then we can see exactly what you are running and give more personal suggestions. Fiberglass is not in high demand up here except for a few places. Welded aluminum is very common. The type of fishing that you plan to do is important too.

Check Anchorage Craigslist, www.alaskalist.com, and others for a sample of what is common.

There are no perch, catfish, walleye, smallies, LMB, crappies, pickerel up here.

There is not a great universal boat up here.

Welcome to AOD,
    Mike

I had a fish&ski boat I bought from my dad several years back prior to moving to AK. He used it to great success and satisfaction in Kansas and it worked fairly well in Reno where I lived. I would say though that it would have been pretty limited up here. It isn't really safe or suitable for the ocean in that it didn't handle any kind of waves over a couple feet. It would have been worthless for the rivers as well. So basically you're stuck with the lakes. Not that you can't get good fishing on the lakes, but in my opinion, the big advantages of boats up here are for rivers and ocean.

My advice, to sell the boat in MN and by a boat when you get up here. I don't know what you want kind of fishing you want to do but that way you could get a more suitable boat for the water up here...be it a river or ocean boat.

That all being said, if you can't really afford to drop the coin on a boat when you get up here, what you have will certainly get you more than nothing at all. And this is just my 2 cents so take it for what its worth.

I had a fish&ski boat I bought from my dad several years back prior to moving to AK. He used it to great success and satisfaction in Kansas and it worked fairly well in Reno where I lived. I would say though that it would have been pretty limited up here. It isn't really safe or suitable for the ocean in that it didn't handle any kind of waves over a couple feet. It would have been worthless for the rivers as well. So basically you're stuck with the lakes. Not that you can't get good fishing on the lakes, but in my opinion, the big advantages of boats up here are for rivers and ocean.

My advice, to sell the boat in MN and by a boat when you get up here. I don't know what you want kind of fishing you want to do but that way you could get a more suitable boat for the water up here...be it a river or ocean boat.

That all being said, if you can't really afford to drop the coin on a boat when you get up here, what you have will certainly get you more than nothing at all. Ohhh, and this is just my 2 cents so take it for what its worth.

Thanks for the info, yes it is set up for midwestern lake/river fishing, walley, bass, panfish. It has 36" of freeboard and full windshield, open bow. I/O Mercruiser 135hp. 55 lb thrust trolling motor. Sounds like I should look into a new setup.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    There are no perch, catfish, walleye, smallies, LMB, crappies, pickerel up here.

There is not a great universal boat up here.
    Mike
    What no pickerel? You better tell ADF&G because they're wasting their money on eradication programs .

Great post and analysis dirtofak.

Only thing I would add is the majority of the good, freshwater fishing revolves around rivers. Your fiberglass boat and lower unit would not survive long. Now on the other hand if you want to do a parade wave around a lake it would be great on Lake Lucille.

If you're serious about fishing take the advice of dirtofak. Your boat should be left back at Lake Minnetonka.....

Default aluminum

I'd trade my fiberglass boat for a Lund.

Aluminum with a jet prop all the way.

Thanks for the sarcastic advice, Lake Minnetonka huh, St. Croix & Mississippi rivers are better bets.

Default Uhhh

He wasn't sarcastic.

I thought it was humorous

Quote Originally Posted by lekanoff View Post
    Thanks for the info, yes it is set up for midwestern lake/river fishing, walley, bass, panfish. It has 36" of freeboard and full windshield, open bow. I/O Mercruiser 135hp. 55 lb thrust trolling motor. Sounds like I should look into a new setup.
    IMO - Your boat would have limited use for you up here. The waters that I would take your boat out on are:
    Long Lake (Mile 86)
    Nancy Lake
    Big Lake
    Finger Lake

At times I miss my foot controlled, bow mounted, trolling motor.

Unless you plan to do a whole lot of Laker/Char/Rainbow/Pike fishing, I wowuld try to swap it out or sell it before you come up.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    What no pickerel? You better tell ADF&G because they're wasting their money on eradication programs .
    Chain pickerel and northern pike are not the same.

The chain pickerel has a distinctive dark chain-like pattern on its greenish sides. Its body outline resembles that of the northern pike. May reach up to 30 inches only on rare occasions. The average size for chain pickerel, however, is 24 inches and 3 pounds. (The average chain pickerel caught by fisherman is between 0 to 2 pounds ). The world record is 9 pounds, 6 ounces.

dirtofak--thanks for the info, bowmount trolling is the best way here, even w/ the wind at 15-20mph it still helps to hold on the fish w/out anchoring----- but change is a good thing.

Default That open bow....

could be a problem too, if you go on the bigger lakes, and for sure in the salt. It is also a long way to tow a boat, but your boat does sound like a great setup for where you are now. Considering the extra gas cost and wear and tear on the trailer in particular, you might add that to what you will have for a boat more suited to Alaska that you can buy up there. If you get a river/lake setup, you can probably find someone to trade trips for ocean fishing, or vice-versa.

Oh...and thicken your skin a bit, you'll have to get used to some kidding and joking around, maybe even funny sarcasm in the Great Land, it is towards the end of winter ya know, and it'll get even crazier during full breakup!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    could be a problem too, if you go on the bigger lakes, and for sure in the salt. It is also a long way to tow a boat, but your boat does sound like a great setup for where you are now. Considering the extra gas cost and wear and tear on the trailer in particular, you might add that to what you will have for a boat more suited to Alaska that you can buy up there. If you get a river/lake setup, you can probably find someone to trade trips for ocean fishing, or vice-versa.

Oh...and thicken your skin a bit, you'll have to get used to some kidding and joking around, maybe even funny sarcasm in the Great Land, it is towards the end of winter ya know, and it'll get even crazier during full breakup!
    Cabin Fever = 20 foot stare in a 10 foot cabin.

Default Sell then buy or buy then sell

Quote Originally Posted by lekanoff View Post
    I'd agree that you would be happier with a different kind of boat here. Since your boat is a nice rig for the midwest, you would get the best price for it there. It's also to your advantage that spring will come a little sooner there and people's interest in boats will pick up shortly. After you sell it, you could come up here unencumbered and start with a clean slate.

If you already know what kind of boat you want, you might be able to act quickly to get an "early bird" special up here. If you wait until April, you'll start seeing a lot of used boats for sale in the Anchorage Daily News or on craigslist. However, despite the surge in available boats, prices will be highest in April, May, and June.

Alternatively, you could spend the first half of summer figuring out what you want, and looking at many different boats. Then, during the last half of summer, you'll be able to get a better deal on a new or used boat, but still have time to use it. Or, to get the best price, buy a boat in the fall, or during the winter at one of the local boat shows. Whether you buy sooner or later, the hunt for a "new boat" is half the fun.

As mentioned before, look around on craigslist or alaskalist.

New boat prices up here border on the insane so if you have a good idea of what you're looking for you can save yourself a bundle of money by buying it down there and bringing it up.

The cost of shipping a boat up here is nuts too and will add a 3 - 5 grand to a boat.

IMO if you do decide to being one up here I'd recommend you take the ferry, as long as you dont have an oversize width the cost of the ferry is about what you'd spend on gas for a truck w/ boat up the Alcan.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default Forced to come to Alaska?

That's a new one

I sold all I had in Wisconsin, said goodbye to all my family and buddies, packed the guns and the rods and got the heck out as soon as I found a job that could keep me in flies, bullets and gas. (I may never be an "Alaskan" ..insert eye roll here...) but am doing my part to enjoy it and its people, and keep it clean.)

I think MN is a pretty nice place too....but guess what...it will still be there if the "forced" march to Alaska isn't what you want out of life.

ps, Sell that sucker. There's a better market down there for it and then you can get something up here. Especially on the road system....there's lots of toys for sale, between folks upgrading, flyboys getting reassigned, or folks buggin out for warmer climes...I'm amazed at some of the nice equipment available on the road system of Alaska. Dillingham where I'm at....not so much but we make do out there as well.

Thanks for the post, my "forced" march was moving to MN, wife transfer, looking forward to heading back to , believe it or not, Dutch Harbor. Never really fit in MN. bro-in-law in Seattle already dibs on the boat, looking @ Boulton boats. If it wasn't for the outdoors in MN would have left long ago.

Look at:
    Wooldridge
    HarberCraft
    Alumaweld
    Jetcraft

Marion
    Grayling
    Duckworth