Thread: Winchester Mod 70 "Ranger"

Default Winchester Mod 70 "Ranger"

Okay, I know there are some seriously knowledgeable people out there that can help me with this - but I recently picked up a rifle from my parents that I had left with them over the last 17yrs or so. It's a Winchester Model 70 "Ranger" (chambered for .30-06 but that part is irrelevent). I know they made this rifle in a "youth and women's" model but I'm not sure if that is what I have or not. The stock really feels short to me, but that could just be that I haven't had anything other than an M16, M4 or Shotgun in my hands for a while and don't have a good point of reference. How do I figure out what I've got? And, is turning this into a grown-up rifle (if it isn't already) as easy as putting a new stock on it?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!
    Tyler

The Ranger line was Winchester's budget priced stuff. They generally had a shorter LOP if I remember correctly but I'm not sure if that was true for all of them. If it does have a shorter stock all you will need it a Win70 takeoff stock of the proper action and mag box length, along with the proper barrel channel. Then its a matter of turning 3 screws and Viola, big boy sized rifle. You can measure LOP by mearuring from the trigger to the middle of the butt in a straight line, standard should be in the neighborhood of 13.75 in, give or take a quarter inch. If you need a take off stock let us know, we have some factory synthetics from Model 70's in the back of the shop.

From what I've read the Ranger had "YOUTH RANGER" stamped into the barrel if was a youth. The stock and the barrel are shorter.

Steve

You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the info.