Thread: Line types?

Default Line types?

I'm looking for a discussion about the various types of lines (for spinning rigs not flyfishing), i.e. mono, braid or flourocarbon - or anything else out there. Specifically I'm looking for a good objective rundown of their respective pros/cons and intended applications for freshwater purposes.

If this is too lengthy of a subject and you know of a good source for information please let me know.

Thanks,
    Tyler

fluro and mono are fairly similar, though fluro isn't quite as limp as mono, and sometimes fluro is more brittle. There is a fair bit of difference between various brands of mono.

Mono has been around a long time and works well. It's upside is lower cost, better resistance to breaking from being cut, stretch reduces the stress on the rod and the fishes mouth, larger dia is friendlier to your hands. Oh, and fairly easy to tie knots and works well with many knots.

Downsides of mono is it has memory and can air not/tangle up at times, you won't cast as far, and you can't fit that much of it on smaller reels.

The upside of braid is, it is very sensitiv due to low stretch, you can cast it further, you can either put alot on a reel due to small dia, or run heavier line than you would with mono, this is an advantage for streems with heavy current or lots of competition where you want to get a fish in quickly.

There are many downsides of braid. You have to load it onto the reel under tension or it will dig into the reel and you'll break it off, or break your rod, it is more expensive, it puts alot more stress on your rod and the fish, some knots reduce it's strength by 50%, it'll cut through your hand like a buzz saw, it is easily cut off on rocks, though you can use a mono topshot to give some of the mono advantages.

I love braid for bottom fishing in the ocean, I have yet to see an advantage to braid in other applications, for the way I fish.

Thumbs up

Thanks Paul, that was exactly the kind of straight forward information I was looking for.

I like braid on my salmon stuff. The people around me dont but I very rarely break off. once you learn the knots to tie it is a very good line. ZERO stretch meaning all that hook set is exactly that HOOK set. Mono is good was and is still used with great success. Not to up on the floro stuff. Braid also floats if you use bobbers this is an added advantage.

Wink I never use braid on spinning reel!!

Had a bad experience using braid while spinning for silvers on a small estuary like river on Afognak Island that I will never forget. The Silvers were in thick we were fishing from an 11' Zodiac drifting with the tide up the river on the incoming tide and down river on the out going tide. The water was clear and we could see the fish in 10-15' of water running in schools of 20-30 fish. I had spooled 25# green braid on my medium spinning rod with #6 Vibrox lures. My fishing buddy was spooled with 14# mono and the same lure & color. As we cast to the schools the fish would follow our lures hammer his but would shy away from mine at the last moment. He was out fishing me 10-1. We swapped rods and it would follow the rod still hitting his rod and not mine. I can't tell you how frustrating it was for me until I stripped off the braid and spooled up with mono. As soon as I changed the fish would hit mine as often as his. All I can figure is that the fish were put off by the sound of the braid running through the guides. There were ten of us on this trip, I was the only one that tried to use braid and I was the only one to have this problem. If you want to see a video of this trip go to:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRn0E1RUJ7M

Dave
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!