Thread: GPS mapping

Default GPS mapping

I fish in the Southern Yukon Lakes Region of Canada. These Lakes are great for Trophy Pike and Lake Trout. The problem is they do not have lake maps or charts for these large lakes.
    Does anyone know of GPS software or Mapping software that would overlay the aerial photo or topo map onto a GPS. I am looking for a new GPS unit or GPS depth finder combo unit anyway. So I am willing to buy one that can handle these capabilities.
    Thanks Aaron

I feel your pain.
    There are paper graphs of Great Slave but none of the other lakes I fish.
    The only electronic charts available for my area are C-MAP charts and they only work on certain machines.

The best machine up here is made by Northstar.
    The only problem for me is I don't want a Northstar, I like my Lowrance units.

http://www.northstarnav.com/Products...--Chart-Sonar/

You may be better off with one of the new handheld GPS mapping units.
    Or you could just use a regular finder/gps combo and mark spots as you come across them. That's what I usually do.

Another really good tool I use is this online GIS topo map site.
    I use this tool for everthing from finding my way into differnt lakes to giving me an idea of where to start looking for fish. You can also pull gps co-ordinates right off the map and then enter them into your gps unit.
    It works great for running into those back lakes when ice fishing.

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map

I've heard really good reports about Navionics Hotmaps for lakes, but haven't used it myself. Their software for marine use is stellar. It looks like they cover Canada now, but whether or not that includes your lakes is a matter of checking.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've heard really good reports about Navionics Hotmaps for lakes, but haven't used it myself. Their software for marine use is stellar. It looks like they cover Canada now, but whether or not that includes your lakes is a matter of checking.

Unfortunately they don't cover North of 60*.
    Plus most of these northern lakes don't have charts of any kind for them.
    If they have never been surveyed you will never find mapping software for them.

Here is a look at the area around me.
    You will quickly be able to see why there are few surveyed lakes around here.
    The big lake is Great Slave Lake and is 10,502 sq mi and the only lake near here that there are charts available for.