Thread: Expandable broadheads for brown bear

Default Expandable broadheads for brown bear

I know that they are illegal for brown bears, but what year did they become illegal? Just having a friendly disagreement with a friend. Thanks for the help.

It's been that way since I took my archery certification class back in 2002.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default I heard this...

Back in the mid-late 90's when expandables were making a big showing/debut, they were being used on all animals around the country, to include game in Alaska. A few guys from AK took expandables to hunt with in Africa to see how they'd do. I heard that one of those fellas was the ever popular bowhunting doctor by the name of Jack Frost. Well, from what I recall, the broadheads didn't do so well on various game and they lost "some" animals. How many were lost, I don't know for sure, but it was more than a couple. I don't know which particular expandables were used or what the poundage of their bows were, but the stories of that hunt afterward regarding expandables trickled around AK as being unacceptable for "dangerous/tough game", if you will. So, with that said, I believe that's how it got the ball rollin' up here and the restrictions got added after the next few BOG meetings.
    I personally used expandables on 2 moose and a brown bear before they were made "illegal" for said animals and I had great results. Go figure...
    If I'm off base here, remember, this is what I heard back then from a bow shop owner who's buddy was one of the hunters on that African trip. Please expand if you or anyone else knows any more accurate info. My .02...

Dr Ed Ashby has a study that might be a little old now, it's called the natal study. I have a copy of the data....he also did a summary of it in traditional bowhunter mag a number of years ago.

Thanks for the info. What brought the discussion up was my friend and I were watching a video were an expandable broadhead was used on a big brown bear down on the pen. I thought this video was made after expandables were made illegal. Between the two of us, we couldn't determine when the BH were made illegal for brown bears.

The oldest hunt reg. book i have here in town dates back to 2000-01 was not legal back then to use. Might have some older books out at the cabin have to look next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by rcook View Post
    Thanks for the info. What brought the discussion up was my friend and I were watching a video were an expandable broadhead was used on a big brown bear down on the pen. I thought this video was made after expandables were made illegal. Between the two of us, we couldn't determine when the BH were made illegal for brown bears.
    I thought the same thing when I watched one of Jack Brittingham's bear hunts a few years ago. I never looked into though...

Default expandables

Seems to me i remember a thread somewhere, [ I can,t find it] that if choose to hunt with a bow in a open season/along with rifle hunters, that you could use expandables? And that they were not legal for moose ,elk,goat, brown bear, muskox, in the bow only area,s or bow only hunt,s. Any body else remember this loop hole? Myself i would not touch them with a ten foot pole,Yes i have used them in Wis, on whitetail deer, I was not impressed, maybe for Turkey,s

swapdonkey,
    That's the dvd in question. I'm not trying to stir the pot and cause trouble for anyone. It just caught my attention.

Default I posted the same question

I asked about the same bear hunt about 3 years ago, How the hunter in question showed the arrow and it clearly showed the expandable broadhead. The only issue is when the hunt took place. The thread I started had alot of attention from various people if memory serves me correctly. This is an interesting story and makes one wonder.

Question It does make one wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    I asked about the same bear hunt about 3 years ago, How the hunter in question showed the arrow and it clearly showed the expandable broadhead. The only issue is when the hunt took place. The thread I started had alot of attention from various people if memory serves me correctly. This is an interesting story and makes one wonder.
    I remember that discussion. Also, if memory serves me right, another one of his vid's has him shooting a moose. THAT video came out a year or 2 after "that brown bear" hunt. It too has an expandable shot into a moose during a time that "I thought" was unauthorized to do so.

I ain't saying, I'm just saying.....

Default P&Y World Record

I think that at least at one point that Brittingham bear was the pending world record. I would think that Pope & Young would have reviewed the video to verify if the year it was taken with expandables was a legal year or not. But, I imagine Jack B. has enough resources to give them a bit of a legal fight. If anyone has more info into whether it was investigated or not please post it here. I was out hunting last fall in King Salmon and heard one of the outfitters in that area was being investigated for shooting moose and using them as "bait piles" for bear hunting. Just a rumor I heard and I don't know if it was the same guide or not or if any real charges were ever mounted. I would be curious to know if anyone else has heard anything more recent.

Default Legal

The Brittingham bear story was posted about here somewhere. It was a legal hunt, as far as the broadhead goes.

From the General Bow Hunting Regualtions.

Archery equipment can be used during any general open season. Special bowhunter certification is not required for these hunts.

For all BIG game, you may:

3. only use broadhead that is:
    a fixed, replaceable or mechanical/retractable blade type broadhead when taking of black-tailed deer, wolf, wolverine, black bear, Dall sheep and caribou;
    a fixed or replaceable blade type broadhead for the taking of mountain goat, moose, elk, brown/grizzly bear, musk ox and bison; and
    not barbed.

There is no loophole that I know of.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

a fixed or replaceable blade type broadhead for the taking of mountain goat, moose, elk, brown/grizzly bear, musk ox and bison; and
    not barbed.
    So, if he in fact used an expandable on a moose or brown bear hunt in Alaska recently, that would have been illegal.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Google Dr. Ed Ashby

Ed has done Extensive recearch on this subject for over 20 years and has done lots of testing.
    Failure was up in the 40+ percent for open on impact heads.
    Not taking a side but lots to consider.
    Bill

Default Heads

I went out to the cabin on the Iditarod, dug though some of the old F&G booklets i have,There seems to be a shift from the,1999-00 book and the2000-01 The 1999-00 Book in short say,s your bow must be able to cast a broadhead-tipped arrow at least 175 yrd,s arrows must be tipped with broadheads at least 7/8 in. wide and weigh a minimum of one ounce.[437.5 grn,s]. and no barbed, broadheads. No mention of mechanical/retractable blade. I don,t know when they invented the things, but the book,s show when our state started to address them. I kinda remember? or think John Frost was on the board to help with the rules back then. Maybe he would know more.The 2000-01 book seems to be when the shift was made, pretty much say,s same as today,s book. 40 pounds for this, 50 pounds for that, 300grn, arrow 20 in. long ect. ect.