Thread: Bead Sizing or rather Egg Size

Default Bead Sizing or rather Egg Size

This may seem a bit redundant but I was wondering what the most effective sizes of beads and/or eggs? I know that this will depend somewhat upon the species of salmon spawning (time of year or run time).

Another thing I was wondering about is coloration? What colors do the eggs start at (I assume orange or light red) and what color progression do they follow?

Thank you for all of your help!

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    This may seem a bit redundant but I was wondering what the most effective sizes of beads and/or eggs? I know that this will depend somewhat upon the species of salmon spawning (time of year or run time).

Another thing I was wondering about is coloration? What colors do the eggs start at (I assume orange or light red) and what color progression do they follow?

Thank you for all of your help!

6mm 8mm and 10mm are the ones that are fished and the most productive. As far as what size to use and when. Well that all depends on the Species of salmon dropping eggs at the time.

Now to colors. They generally start out as a clearish Orange. Some turne more red, some turn peaches and cream, some turn strawberries and cream. There are so many variables. ALot of times it is match the spawn. See what is in the gravel beds of the river. Otherwise just throw the whole tackle box at them untill you find something that works. If that does not work, drink a beverage and enjoy your day on the water. I have had a bead catch 30 fish one day and not get a sniff the next day. Clouds vs sunshine makes a difference too. Lots of different factors involved
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Good info Chuck.

OP, I have some good info in the form of some old saved emails I will forward you about beads. Happy to send them your way if you want to PM me your email address. There are lots of factors and I am a newb when it comes to fishing beads myself. Just used them on two trips. Honestly, fishing beads doesn't excite me. But there are times and places where beads are the way to go. It is Alaska's version of match the hatch, plain and simple. I am not above fishing them by any means, there are just other methods I would employ given the choice. When bead fishing, the more remote the locale, the less important the bead size/color/presentation are. On more pressured waters, you better bring your A game. If you want more specific info here on this thread, post what species, what time of year, and what area of Alaska you will be fishing. These are three very important variables.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Start with an assortment. I spend the whole month of September fishing the upper Kenai, this year we used 6mm shrimp swirl, salmon swirls, and kind of a yellow orange painted dark peach. I have a bead box with most colors in most sizes and those were the only ones I needed all month. That isn't to say that others might not have been needed in a different month or in different conditions. I recommend stopping at any shop selling beads and asking what's hitting. Empty bead trays usually will give you a good idea of what's hitting so bring your own assortment, I buy a few beads and flies in exchange for info but don't like paying 3 or 4 times the price for dozens of beads. I like marbled and swirled beads best.

Go to troutbeads.com

Throw some shrimp and salmon swirl in with the Alaskan assortment and you'll have a box to start from. I have way more colors than I'll ever use and the assortment comes prepainted, will save you time and trouble experimenting with fingernail polish. If you must paint your own I like opaque buff colors more than straight white. Straight white isn't orange or brown enough to look real.
    River Runnin

Leader systems are very important, almost as important as bead color and selection.. Just remember be creative and effictive and mend! Sometimes a swinging bead works better then dead drifted and sometime the fish like to see something totally "off" the normal color and size.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck/Monkey View Post
    6mm 8mm and 10mm are the ones that are fished and the most productive.

Thanks!!!

That is great.

So there you have it Jarred, leave your 4 mm and 12 mm beads at home and all will be well.

Anymore questions?

Ha ha ha ha ha......

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.