Thread: Snow Reports?

Default Snow Reports?

Hi folks,

Hard to find the right forum for this question, but I guess this is as good as any. I am hearing random reports of lower than normal snowfall in different areas of the state, and thought I'd ask you. How is the snow level in your area, and what implications do you see for floaters this coming season?

A lot of our rivers are fed primarily by snowmelt, and there could be issues if this proves to be a dry year...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Now you're scaring me!

There will be NO problem on the Six Mile Creek. We were in the very back of Palmer Creek last Sat. and snow was more than 6' deep. At mile post 7 on the Hope Road there was 4 1/2' of snow last week, but it has been raining (below 800' ASL)for a week, so 19" left at this time alone the Road elevation. However it has been snowing super heavy above 1,000 ASL.

upper su valley could be bony this summer. i'd put our snow pack at 20% of normal in the Chulitna bridge area. good base, however, so if we get some good snowfall in march/april we could be ok. probably gonna be bony though. let's hope for a snowy march/april and a wet summer. take care, abel6wt

Default Snow fall - Upper Susitna

Mike,
    We are about 10% of the snow we had last year at this time. We aren't melting yet, and it is snowing now, but we are too far behind to catch up now, IMO. Currently, we have about 2.5 feet at best. The riding is still decent for snow machining, but could be a lot better.

I've been thinking the same thing and have come to the conclusion that I will be fishing in April without having to chip ice this year. Usually on the Denali, It's 50/50 on Memorial Weekend.

I'm wondering how it's going to affect the spring bears, since they didn't have enough snow to den up in until late January.... I'm guessing they are going to be denned in the valley's this winter.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Unless something Changes

From Healy to Chatinika across to Delta from Nenana it will be brutal in the Interior this year we have slim to little snow on the ground after this week and we were already at the lowest snow fall on record 11 inches total on the ground prior to the warm spell about 30 percent of normal.

Might be an early fire season :-(

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    From Healy to Chatinika across to Delta from Nenana it will be brutal in the Interior this year we have slim to little snow on the ground after this week and we were already at the lowest snow fall on record 11 inches total on the ground prior to the warm spell about 30 percent of normal.

Might be an early fire season :-(
    Richard: any idea what's happening in the eastern Brooks?

Here in Fairbanks we are at about 20% of snowpack and it is going quick. I am at 900ft. and we have less than a foot of snow in the woods at my cabin. I have been at 40 degrees plus the last 3 days and have lost over 4" of snow in the last week. I cannot imagine that the areas off the Steese are any better, although I have not been able to get up there to check. I am thinking that it is going to be pretty sparse in the Chatanika & Beaver/Birch Creek areas. I wonder if there are any trail reports from the Yukon Quest that would provide any snow info? Might be interesting since it covers such a large area.

Default North of FB

Well we had several storms South and North of us early and mid winter exact places they hit well to be frank is a crap shot at best. I have a couple of buds heading up in Late March early April to chase bou! I will shoot you a PM if you remind me. Heading out in the direction your looking at will have to check with P.J. that will only take a couple of days I am sure I will see him at the Rink. He has property up there and use to be part of the Local crowd up North. So I will try and give you two updates over the next month or so.

Thanks Richard, I'll give you a shout.

kingfisherktn

The default page at the Alaska-Pacific River Forecast Center converts from river flow gages to snow depth gages in the winter. Makes it easy to prognosticate about summer flows. http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/