Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear gun

Smile Bear gun

Whats everyones preference for a bear gun? and why?

Default Defence or hunting?

If I am hunting the brownies then I like to use a 300RUM good power and I can shoot it very well. I have no doubts where the bullet that I sent at it ended up.
    Now for protection on the other hand I prefer a .22 pistol all you have to do is outrun your hunting partner
    Really I like to use a 12 guage or a 44mag for the same reason I practice with both and feel confident with it. In my 44 I load as heavy of a bullet as i can usually 300 to 320 grn solid bullets, and in the 12 guage I like the slugs for sure.

Winchester 70 stainless classic 375 h&h. It's been an ultra reliable go to gun for over 10 years of hunting in Alaska. I never feel like I need anything more powerful.

Default .375 RUM and .458 Ruger Tropical....

I use the .375 RUM for most of my hunting. Scoped with a 3X9 Leopold, with 300gr. I like using this for getting both distance and power. I know I can shoot further, but I keep it around 300 yards at most, and only if I can't get closer.

When I have to go in the brush after something with teeth and claws, I grab the .458, open sights, with .510 gr. Best decent yardage out of this pig is about 150 yards for me.

I'm sure I'll be bashed for packing too heavy, but I don't like to take chances when I usually have my wife and 6yr old with me, or clients hiking around.

I really wish my .270 WSM was enough for bear, and I'm sure it is, but choose not to. I do use it for blackie hunting, but would be hesitant to shoot at a brownie with it.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    If I am hunting the brownies then I like to use a 300RUM good power and I can shoot it very well. I have no doubts where the bullet that I sent at it ended up.
    Now for protection on the other hand I prefer a .22 pistol all you have to do is outrun your hunting partner
    Really I like to use a 12 guage or a 44mag for the same reason I practice with both and feel confident with it. In my 44 I load as heavy of a bullet as i can usually 300 to 320 grn solid bullets, and in the 12 guage I like the slugs for sure.
    What does a 320 gr. bullet in a .44 feel like when she goes off? I have only shot 240 gr.

I used to have a Taurus "Total Titanium" Tracker with a 4" barrel and loaded it with Fed. Cast Core 300 Gr. rounds. Since the revolver only weighed 23 oz.s, the bullets actually weighed more than the gun (out of habit, I only used to fill 4 of the 5 Cyl.s and carried it on the empty). I used to shoot it alot 'cause I enjoyed it. Some folks that I let shoot it thought it was a little painful, but I never really thought so. If you weren't paying attention when you shot it (which never happened after the first shot, because the little gun would pretty much "demand" your attention), then you could end up with it on your forehead. Which could be good for some personal humor value, but is generally considered bad form =).

I sold it 'cause I never really felt it was accurate out to 20 Yd.s and had to wind the rear sight all the way up just to get a bullet's elevation right. Windage always was kind of erratic. I've never had to shoot a charging Brownie (the furry kind... Well either kind for that matter, but sometimes they scare me when they come to the door and try to force those cookies on me - LOL), but have had some really close calls while I was guiding. It is really "Eye Opening" when you see an 800# animal cover 20 Yd.s about as fast as a guy can blink, so I always figured I would want to be able to hit 'em BEFORE they got their teeth into me or a client.

I am about to pull the trigger (no pun intended) on a Ruger Redhawk w/ a 5.5" barrel. It is heavier than I really wanted to pack all day at 49 oz.s, but it will allow me to load it with 5 rounds of Garrett Hammerhead +P's (I can't seem to get over my habit of carrying the hammer on an empty cyl., even though the way most revolvers are made these days it's not necessary with the charging bar "safety").

As far as a good bear gun is concerned, I have been debating this recently as well. I WAS thinking Bolt action 338 RCM in a compact. But I think I have decided to get a Marlin 1895 GS (G is for Guide gun and S is for Stainless) and again, use the Garrett hammerheads in 45-70 (I believe all the 1895G's are 45-70). At 1500 FPS, this round ought to be good out to 200 yd.s which is probably as far as I'd want to shoot a Brownie and is still short and manueverable enough to give me confidence in the thick stuff. Be good for Moose too.... Or Elephants or Cape Buff or Rhino. LOL

I'd be curious to hear what you decide on.

Grits

this is like the 5th bear favorite gun thread.,..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    this is like the 5th bear favorite gun thread.,..
    this month
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

must be a popular topic!

or an unpopular search

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Too funny!
    I'm thinking of posting a thread and asking what the "Favorite Ptarmigan Gun" is. I think there's only been 2 or 3 threads on that subject.... This month. LOL

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

maybe we just need a gallery kinda like the past years hunting pics gallery for favorite, bear gun, side arms while hunting, bear protection while fishing, backpacking in bear country gun, moose gun with bear back up, small game gun with bear back up, the in case we see a bear, I'M looking for bears, i never want to see a bear and need one to put my self out threads

then we can toss in the the moose gun, caribou gun, deer gun. Black bear gun, what gun will do ALL of them, and small game side arms while bear hunting threads in it also...

but to answer the OP...

use what you shoot well... know where to put the shot, there are a few on here that regularly hunt and harvest bears and many that spread the same rumors and wife's tales. shot placement is more then What gun. what would you use on a 1500lb moos? or a 1000-1200 lb bear? start with a 180 grain 30 cal and go up from there for Good starting points
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm pretty sure we developed a nearly-unanimous consensus on here that these 12 Ga. flamethrower rounds
    (http://vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=ZTEwN1NNcWuRpeHZkQ2c&dragons-breath-shotgun-flame-thrower;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4UU1aj6Cw&feature=related)
    are the best brown bear hunting or stopping loads when compared to more-conventional lead/copper bullet options.

Vince,
    You just made me spit coffee out of my nose. Great trick! Which brings up a whole new catagory - Bear Gun with Moose back-up.
    And Marine Hawk's video also brings up a new catagory - 4th of July Bear gun with white phosphorous Ptarmigan back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    Whats everyones preference for a bear gun? and why?
    In my view, a great majority of Alaska hunters aren't just hunting bears, but a variety of game (moose, caribou, deer, bison), and would kill a bear with whichever gun they are using at the moment. Hunting bears alone can be quite expensive if should hunting requires traveling to Kodiak, and in this case there is a good probability that the hunter is going to take a rifle, which in their view is powerful enough to kill a large bear. But then there are a lot of hunters who go to Kodiak to hunt deer, and often take a .270, .30-06, and so forth.

Hunters from the lower-48 tend to bring the most powerful guns possible to hunt the big bears, and .375 H&H is popular with bear hunters, and so the .416-caliber.

In general, Alaska hunter's aren't carrying the most powerful rifles to hunt, because these tend to be extremely heavy, and may not be the best choice for killing a moose, plus a deer, or maybe a small black bear at extended ranges. Some of the most popular or all around rifles with Alaska hunters can be seen here (add the .30-30, .270. 7mm-08):
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=70526

Quote Originally Posted by Grits Hardway View Post
    Too funny!
    I'm thinking of posting a thread and asking what the "Favorite Ptarmigan Gun" is. I think there's only been 2 or 3 threads on that subject.... This month. LOL
    .410 all the way! Although I have shot a lot of game birds with my .44 and shot shells.

I know a lot of hunting guides that carry .338 and .375 as backups for their clients but they are also targeting bear exclusively. I have a .300 win mag, also very effective, but if I had it all to do over I think the 30-06 is the most versatile caliber. The ammo is common, something to keep in mind in case you are traveling, and most everything walking has been shot with it.

As a side note, I hate shooting my .300, it just hurts. It has a muzzle break now so I can shoot it better but it's horribly loud.
    River Runnin

Default Search Engine?

So, a new member walks into the forums, asks a good question about the outdoors of Alaska, then he is battered by a bunch of guys, asking why he asks a question that has been asked before.

It's very possible, since Blackhawk is a new member, he wasn't sure, and maybe he was looking to kind of break the ice and start a conversation in here, to start to get to know folks.

If it was me, and I had just joined, and that's the reaction I got, I would probably look for another place to discuss the outdoors with folks.

Maybe it's time for them to just turn this into the search engine, since there is no chance that anyone new to the forums could possibly know more then we have already discussed... which they can find on here.

Anyhow, just food for thought. It is a resounding theme in here everytime someone asks a question that was asked before, they get a link, telling them to use the search engine.

I answered the question that was asked, and yes, I knew it has been asked, but that's okay. It took me an equal amount of effort to provide a respectful answer then it took many of you to make fun of the question.

Less then a month until the draws!!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Claude, you need to get out of the frozen lodge and back to civilization. The winter is getting to you :-) Good points though, I've thought the same thing about many posts on here. If you just want to search, you can go to google.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Yeah, I have a scoped 30 06 and it is my favorite rifle and very, very accurate. I would have no qualms about hunting Brownies w/ it, though it would not be my first choice by a long shot (no pun intended).

I am thinking about picking up a new larger bore "point and shoot" with iron sights and maybe (maybe not-no scope sounds equally good to me) put some high rings on it. Right now I am waffling between a ruger chambered in 300 or 338 RCM and a marlin 1895 GS in 45-70. You may be able to tell by my choices that cost is an issue, but I bet I can get a lot of gun for the price these days. I am not looking for a "gun safe Queen". My budget (or lack thereof) makes it a necessity that whatever I buy do double duty. I am really impressed with what I've read and heard about the Garrett Hammerhead 45-70 loads at 1500+ FPS. I think out to 200 yd.s (which is really even more range than I was looking for) this (the Marlin) would prove to be a great Brush busting and drift gun and I like the idea of putting more lever guns in my line up.
    Whatever I end up with, I will take pic.s and post my experiences and thoughts.
    I think it's a good time to "shake out" gear right now, and maybe a new gun will help me get rid of some of the "Shack Nasties" I have been feeling from this winter.
    Grits

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    So, a new member walks into the forums, asks a good question about the outdoors of Alaska, then he is battered by a bunch of guys, asking why he asks a question that has been asked before.

It's very possible, since Blackhawk is a new member, he wasn't sure, and maybe he was looking to kind of break the ice and start a conversation in here, to start to get to know folks.

If it was me, and I had just joined, and that's the reaction I got, I would probably look for another place to discuss the outdoors with folks.

Maybe it's time for them to just turn this into the search engine, since there is no chance that anyone new to the forums could possibly know more then we have already discussed... which they can find on here.

Anyhow, just food for thought. It is a resounding theme in here everytime someone asks a question that was asked before, they get a link, telling them to use the search engine.

I answered the question that was asked, and yes, I knew it has been asked, but that's okay. It took me an equal amount of effort to provide a respectful answer then it took many of you to make fun of the question.

Less then a month until the draws!!
    I was serious about the flamethrower rounds.

Okay, I wasn't but, sadly, I would make the same stupid comment to an established forum member as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast