Thread: Predator Hunting Gear

Default Predator Hunting Gear

I figured with enough people getting into Predator calling up here, it might be time for some people to give up some reviews or recommendations on gear that did or didn't work. I'll start off with a few items.

Seats: I've used a variety of different one's from the air filled one's to the microwave types. The one that works the best is a cheap, $12 model that I found at Sportsman's. It's camo material on one sied and has large baffled foam covered with tough fabric on the other side. It's lightweight, has a clip if needed, is quiet to move around on and works excellent. It's good for quickly shoveling snow away too and dries out quickly.

Tripods/Bipods: I've used a few different types from Stoney Point, Harris Bi-Pods and home-built models. I've broken a couple of them because of plastic parts and found one that has held up pretty good so far to some tough abuse, including flipping my snowmachine over and rolling on the tripod. The Bog-Pod tripod is my hands down favorite. It is almost all metal and with the telescoping legs, you can get it level on any terrain. It comes with rubber feet or carbide spikes if you're on rocky or icy terrain as well. They're not cheap, but it's a high quality tripod that holds up. I white electrical tapped mine, so that I can use it for other hunting without sticking out like a sore thumb.

Gaiters: I have several different pairs of gaters from Mountain Hardwear to OR's. The OR Crocs are great gaters, but they don't offer a winter camo pattern that I've seen. The best snow camo gaiter I've found is made by Kenetrek.
    http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-064-SNO
    Sportsman's carries them and they've been a really nice gaiter. I believe they have a newer, even more tough model coming out this season. I went without using gaiters for a year and it was a pain. My feet stay warmer with them on too, so that always helps.

MouthCalls: When the temperatures are warm, closed reeds are good. The Sceery line of calls have always sounded good to me. When temps drop, the Sceery AP-6, Crit-r-Call (Original) are good to have. With the Crit-R-Call you can make all distress and some high pitched Coyote sounds.

E-calls: I have tried about all of them. My favorite and toughest caller for our winter's is the FoxPro CS-24. They'll all work, that's just my favorite one.

Camo Clothing: Cabelas one piece snow camo suit. No longer made. If you ever find one, call me, I'll buy it, it's the best one piece winter camo suit I've found.

Gloves/Mittens: Hot Shot Glomitts. They have a handwarmer pocket on the back and are extremely warm. No longer made, or I can't find them anywhere. I would've bought 10 pairs of these if I had known they'd quit selling them in that pattern. Here's the type:
    http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cf...55/whatsnew/Y/
    Wool liners and Wool Mitt/Gloves work fine too, just not as warm as those Hot Shot's.

Rifle Slings: White "The Claw".
    http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...0222340a.shtml
    These stay put on the snowmachine better than any other I've tried. I trade out the plastic slings for metal one's, even though I've never broken them, I'm just paranoid about cracking one hiking in at -40ºF.

Hope this helps some save a few bucks by not having to go through so many things to find what works. You'll spend more initially, but won't be let down by less than stellar gear. I wish somebody would've told me what to get at the beginning.

Searching archives aand found this great thread without a single reply... I'm just beginning my predator hunting planning/gear selection and I, for one, appreciate your thread. Thank you!

Btw...I will now be cyber stalking you attempting to gain knowledge!

-akiceman25

WOW akiceman, this was an old one from the abyss that you surfaced again.

Not much has changed in my gear selection, other than my camo outfit. I had a custom built set of bibs, parka, mask and mitts made to my specs. It's an absolutely wonderful piece of gear and keeps me toasty warm and safe with all the pockets to hold my critical "stuff".

Only so much can be learned in cyber world. I think time in the field is where 99% of the real learning comes from. I can't explain how to know exactly when to take the shot, or how to really read predator's body language. That's something learned only after calling them in and really watching how they react. Being able to let an animal come another 30 or 40 yards for the "perfect" shot is a matter of knowing when they might turn tail and run as much as it's when they'll stop. I'm not a "pro", but I have put in a ton of time sitting in the woods squealing away on a call or sitting behind an e-caller with some custom sound sequence. Learning how to position yourself and to be able to smoothly transition into some akward position to shoot while not spooking a predator is another thing that could never really be learned on any forum either. There are a ton of "small" details that are probably so second nature to me now, I don't even think of it anymore. I hope I can help others gain some quick tips that help them out in the field though.

I agree with learning in the field.. Basically I'm getting geared up to start hunting next winter or possibly early spring. Fall moose/Bou/deer hunting just doesn't last long enough! Everything from firearm to clothing to snowmachine is needed yet... But I'm determined to do this.

Appreciate your tips...

-akiceman25