Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the BEST Sheep Hunting Boots?

Default the BEST Sheep Hunting Boots?

Okay, I know this will be subjective with many answers and opinions...but that's okay. That's what I'm hoping for.

So, what would folks recommend for an all around rugged (yet as light as possible) sheep hunting boot for (unknown) destinations in Alaska?

ALL opinions are welcome.

Scarpa Liskam
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Second vote for Scarpas...........

Extremely comfortable and great support. If they ever wear out I'll buy another pair.

Dave

Something to consider, leather stretches when wet. My boots seem to get wet a lot while hunting just from dew/moisture on grass, even though my feet stay dry with the Goretex lining. Waterproofing the leather helps, but on long hunts the constant flexing eventually creates gaps in the treatment. When hiking, if I'm not careful my boots will stretch enough to let my foot move...I get carried away with finishing a climb and resort to just grinding it out.

I'm considering a synthetic boot, like the Scarpa Charmoz GTX or Hanwag Mountain Light GTX because they don't stretch like wet leather, are lighter (with the Charmoz being the lighter of the two), and don't hold moisture like wet leather does (which makes them heavier). My only concern is how well they will hold up compared to leather.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

For leather: Lowa
    For Plastic: Scarpa Omegas ( get them heat molded)

Default ...

I'm going to have to invest in some Lowas. I like my Meindl's, but I can see the "fail factor" in them on a tough sheep hunt. Not afraid to spend money that will be worth it in the long run, and those Meindl's aren't all that cheap too. Sure like them for Moose hunts though!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

If you were to invest in LOWA's, which would be the best for Sheep hunting?

Try them on. My feet don't fit Lowas, but Meindles fit me great.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post

Uh........the ones that say SHEEPHUNTERS !!!!

um, is it worth paying for shiping to get the lowa sheep hunters from schnees that are tripple stitched

Went through 2 pair of Meindl's and thought they were the cat's meow. Decided to try the Scarpa Liskamm and wish I would have not wasted my money on the Meindl. Don't get me wrong, the Meindl is a good boot, but the Scarpas are just made for mountaineering. Stiffer all around but comfortable and good for flatland hiking too. I just reallllllllllllly like them that much. They make sidehilling ALMOST comfortable.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Uh........the ones that say SHEEPHUNTERS !!!!
    Didn't see anything like that at REI. Are these a "special order" type of deal? Ordering boots without trying them on is a no-go.

Been a long time...clueless to the new products/technologies. (why I ask).
    We never had "plastic" heat-molded sheephunting boots...but hey, I'm open to new thangs.
    I'm not THAT old and set in my ways.

Didn't see anything like that at REI. Are these a "special order" type of deal? Ordering boots without trying them on is a no-go.

Been a long time...clueless to the new products/technologies. (why I ask).
    We never had "plastic" heat-molded sheephunting boots...but hey, I'm open to new thangs.
    I'm not THAT old and set in my ways.
    Yeah if your buying anything from REI, they probably won't sell anything that says "Hunter" on them....hehehe

As far as the Scarpa Omegas, they are Pebax (industrial strength rubberized plastic) material outside (we just call them plastics), with an "intuition" boot inside, and that inner boot should be, but doesn't have to be, heat molded. This boot is the ticket if you spend alot of time sidehilling or traversing alot of shale, they are very stiff (which a sheep hunting boot should be) if you are packing heavy, this boot is best to control the impact of your load, especially going downhill. Most people don't like them, I wasn't sure if I did too when I first got them, but after wearing them with a load on my back...I understood. Secondly,it will take alot to tear these boots up, and they will not soak with water like any leathers. I have been wearing mine around the house, and even shooting some hoops with them, I am getting used to them, and they are starting to feel comfortable, but still a little stiff. The bottom line is...you either love them or you hate them, and its not like you can just buy them for trial and take them back if not satisfied, they are not cheap. But you can find some deals on the internet, if they have your size. lastly, these boots may seem and look heavy, but they are rather light for a "plastic".

This is beyond personal preference, one guys dream boot will be anothers trip killer!

Scarpa Liskamm (possibly the stiffest leather boots on the market) I have done a bunch of research and these will likey be my next set of sheep boots

Lowa Hunter GTX (the Sheephunters from schnees are the same boots design but with different leather and additional stitching) These have a cult like following and have a good all around quality, Stiffer than the Kennetreks but not as much as the liskamm's

Lowa Tibet GTX (Shorter version of the hunters)

La Sportiva Glacier Evo's (Quite a few women love these boots) Full shank sole and plenty of support make this boot good for ladies that may not have the lateral ankle strength needed in the mountains with a load.

Kennetrek Mountain extreme I have these but find that they stretch too much and I can't get them tight enough when wet as the eylets are almost touching, that said they may perfect for wide feet. Their sole is slightly less rigid when compared to the Lowa's and will allow your ankle to flex when sidehilling causing the flat of the sole to sit flush on the slope rather than cutting into the hillside. For a true all around AK hunting boot they may be hard to beat, their waterproofing is stelar and they won't kill your feet when doing miles of rolling hills or flat lands. Unfortunately for Kennetrek we are talking about a sheep hunting boot and for that purpose I think you can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Yeah if your buying anything from REI, they probably won't sell anything that says "Hunter" on them....hehehe
    LMAO! Good point.

This fancy plastic is all new to me. (I was from the poor side of Spenard when REI was Caribou Wards).
    Think of the term "waffle-stomper" and "army-navy surplus" and you've about got my era/equipment identified.

Great information, folks. I'm learning good stuff here.
    GREAT FORUM!

I don't know.... I don't see how anyone can say any particular brand is the BEST. Lots of good brands but It all comes down to fit. Assuming of course we are talking about mountaineering type boots with all the right features.. stiffness, full rubber rand, sticky sole, etc. Or "flexy" plastics. If the "best of the best" leather/super fiber/space age plastic boot's don't fit YOUR foot right then their not much better than a pair of walmart flipflops. Proper fit and good properly fitting foot bed make the BEST boots. my .02

Lowa Hunter GTX

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Lots of good brands but It all comes down to fit.
    Can't argue with that. But, at least I've got a good starting place now.
    I can go track down a pair of LOWA Hunters or Scarpa Liskamm and see which have a better feel for me. They may also see some Grand Canyon usage in the spring/fall cooler months...and I REALLY like the looks of the ankle support on those Scarpa Liskamm's...as I have a weak left ankle from it being "rolled" too many times (military fun).

I have been running around in Merrills for too long...and really need something more "serious" and "supportive".

AND, I'm due for a trip back to Alaska soon, just to make sure I still remember my way around. All the sheep hunting will be done with a camera (these days) but it still requires that it be taken seriously.
    Alaska is unforgiving on the ill prepared.

There is a pair of Lowa's size 10 up in the Swap&sell. Good price if it's your size.

Size 9 normally, but with smart socks it's a maybe.
    I'll go take a look. Thanks, HNBG.

Are you guys adding special insoles to these at all?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast