Thread: 3 people on a PAC 1200?

Default 3 people on a PAC 1200?

Anyone ever have 3 people on a PAC 1200, or any other 2 man cat? I've seen a few people make a plywood deck for the front and mount 2 seats. Any suggestions/comments/warnings on the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Anyone ever have 3 people on a PAC 1200, or any other 2 man cat? I've seen a few people make a plywood deck for the front and mount 2 seats. Any suggestions/comments/warnings on the subject?
    I think there's a couple variables to this question that need to be answered first. Size of people, size/class of river, and possibly experience level of the rower. I owned a Aire Wildcat (12') and did a 10 day fly out fishing float with myself and a buddy and all our gear in this raft without any problems. Thinking back and guestimating we probably weighed in at around 550 lbs. loaded. The river we floated was very mellow without whitewater. I think the PAC 1200 is similar to the boat I owned.

3 guys about 400 lbs rods and flies, for lakes and sportsmans to jims, below cooper bridge, few other places I suppose. I've just seen it and wondering how much harder it is to steer/row, manuver, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I think there's a couple variables to this question that need to be answered first. Size of people, size/class of river, and possibly experience level of the rower. I owned a Aire Wildcat (12') and did a 10 day fly out fishing float with myself and a buddy and all our gear in this raft without any problems. Thinking back and guestimating we probably weighed in at around 550 lbs. loaded. The river we floated was very mellow without whitewater. I think the PAC 1200 is similar to the boat I owned.

Sounds doable to me. It will definitely be more difficult to maneuver, the heaver you load it the slower it will be. I think as long as you stay in the main channel (upper Kenai) you'd be just fine, at least until you feel comfortable with the weight before heading into the braids. You'll defiantly want to distribute the weight evenly over the boat so you’re sitting as level as possible. 400 or so lbs. in this raft should easily be within its capabilities.

Default Thanks

Yea its rated for around 750 so I didn't think there would be a problem, just more weight forward is the real concern I suppose. Thanks for the insight, I finally got some people to answer! I'm heading out tomorrow and hoped for an aswer, thanks again.

I have the PAC1200, and although it *is* a stout little cataraft, I wouldn't float three people with any significant amount of gear. I *would* recommend having the two front seats mounted low if you do try this- lower the center of gravity as best you can.

Smile 3 in a PAC - Webster's 'outcast'

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Hey... good to hear you are enjoying the boat. I knew you'd like the versatility of this Cataraft.

One of the better features of the PAC-1200 is to separate the 2-person day frame into a lighter-weight 1-person set-up for more demanding waters and when paddling solo. You will feel a difference in performance right away centering or forwarding the single seat row-station.

Couple things to consider on running your present 2-person factory PAC-1200 for a party of 3 w/ day gear.

"#1" I would not like rowing with 2 people and that kind of high center body weight factor up front seated side by side. Fact is - in the past, this has been unfortunately really bad sales pitch advice plus the leading dissatisfaction to an otherwise excellent boat. In several cases I've seen... whether it be receiving poor advice or uninformed future planning, expectations and price-range on purchaser's part --- many unsatisfied added up much more by needing to upgrade to larger tubes in addition to new frames/components/oars/etc.

#2 This boat may be 'rated' for 750 lbs --- keep in mind a factory PAC-1200 frame is around 100 pounds all by itself. Looking back at my rental specs on weights... The tubes I sold ya come in averaging 50-55 lbs are rated for the load capacity by themselves. With 3, the PAC-1200 will daft more water yet makes for a doable distributed load. Sluggish handling while drafting more water and freighting more weight in the shallows does open the door for damage.

#3 When your boat was used to go out on rental fly-in trips... I had a 1 5/8" frame much like you'd see on expedition boats. This frame can place a 3rd seat in the back of this cat to distribute the load much better.

I used my AIRE WildCat for multi-day fly-outs. If more than solo - was always with 1 other person plus gear and normally rowing more demanding whitewater.

For fun or instruction on Whitewater - Both the PAC-1000 & 1100 have proven quite good for me on runs such as Lion's Head. These capable little cats allow me to stay very close, demonstrate, communicate, react, and provide safety to full-size rafts even instructing on class IV. If completely solo on big water, I often will remove the plate decking. I do sometimes put in a soft floor for managing rescue ops. I noticed your other posts regarding getting on more waters... disassemble your PAC-1200 frame in 1/2, and you'll get the same in a 12' package.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default trial run

Ended up getting 3 people on the raft. It was definitely a lot of weight but it was managable as long as I didn't try and float down from the bridge and row back up. I'd feel comfortable floatin' it down the Kenai but probably won't ever do it.