Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ship or Shore

Question Ship or Shore

Just wondering, how many of you stay on your boat or camp on shore. I prefer to camp. I guess the reasons are because I love campfires and walking around. I sleep on the boat in early summer because the snow, but there is no substitute for cooking over a fire. What say you?

Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default It depends

If it is just my buddy and me for just an over nighter we usually stay on the boat (12 accessory jack to run the video iPod and screen and the 12 volt coffee pot)

If the family goes with me it is the full bore grand plaza camping site.

If the spot we anchor up has flat dry land close to shore, then we'll sleep on the shore. If not we cram on the boat. We prefer camping on shore as our boat is really crowed when the 5 of us sleep on it. But in some locations you are hard pressed to find flat dry ground to set up a tent.

You can always sleep on the boat and do campfires on shore.

This is a good question. So far I've slept on the boat and the couple times I've done it, it seems to drag the anchor a bit. Not that far but we definitely move. This has made me nervous to sleep on shore and leave the boat anchored and unattended. I don't want to wake up to find it gone or up against the rocks. Do folks find this to be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    This is a good question. So far I've slept on the boat and the couple times I've done it, it seems to drag the anchor a bit. Not that far but we definitely move. This has made me nervous to sleep on shore and leave the boat anchored and unattended. I don't want to wake up to find it gone or up against the rocks. Do folks find this to be a problem?
    Haven't had this problem. Sounds like the anchoring issue needs to be resolved because regarless of whether you sleep on the boat or shore you're going to want your boat to stay put. What size boat, what kind of anchor and what weight anchor? Maybe some information about how you anchor, scope you use, etc?

The only problem I've had was waking up high and dry as I didn't realize how shallow we were when anchoring in deepwater bay Asside from that, I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to anchoring for the night and I pick out the most protected anchorages, that have a good bottom to anchor in, and make sure the anchor is well set.

Default Like Skydiver Said

I'd definitely would find out why it dragged. But if it were stil a concern, I'd "set" anchor and run a backup line to shore and tie off. Put a marker bouy on it so no one wraps it in thier prop. Just a thought.
    how to act in public

Smile Sleep like a baby on boat

If you drag get a bigger anchor and longer chain, obviously your gear is to small. There is no magic to it, most boats you see in the trailerable size use an anchor that is just plain old to d-- small! I bet every boat that leaves Dewy's has a anchor that is not going to cut it when you need most.

I like to sleep on the boat, it's a great feeling, relaxing and warm. Mine sleeps five guys very comfortably and that means someone is usually available to make coffee. But, at night nothing beats a campfire and exploring around the cove during the day.

Talking Some Things

Just can't be done aboard ship...

how to act in public

Looks great, Doug! I prefer to sleep on the boat, but we enjoy take the tender to shore for a fire and lunch or dinner. One night we were anchored up in Unakwik and we had a measured 4 inches of rain in a bucket from 11 pm to 7 am. Nights like that, I really enjoy the cuddy and the Espar!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I prefer shore, too. I wish there were more public cabins in PWS...simply not enough. Heck, look at SE AK and all the cabins down there, but what are there...7 or 8 for all of PWS?

I had a 22lb bruce with about 30-40ft of chain on my 22 Hewes Ocean Pro. I've always been told to get 1lb of anchor and 1ft of chain per ft of boat. Is this wrong? I felt like I was putting out plenty of rode to get the desired scope of 3 or 5 to 1, but maybe not. We have been in protected bays and I would set my anchor alarm. It went off both times. Anyway, we didn't move a ton but it was enough to get me thinking that if I slept on shore and it drug enough, I could lose a lot of money. So this last trip out I couldn't get my anchor up off the bottom so I had to cut the line. I'll be replacing both Anchor, Chain and some rope here soon so any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Anyway, my boat isn't really big enough to sleep more than 2 on and then it's still cramped. I'm hoping to move up to a cuddy here soon as I'd like to at least have the option to sleep on the boat or go to shore for just the stuff Doug was showing.

Sleep on the boat here... Occasionaly if I have a small group we will set up a camp, but if just 2 or 3 of us we stay on the boat. I like to be more mobile and setting up and taking down a camp cuts into my fishing time. Although looking at Dougs pic's make me think about spending a little more time on shore at least for a fire to cook up some dogs.

I had a 22lb bruce with about 30-40ft of chain on my 22 Hewes Ocean Pro.

What size chain? If it was 3/8", I think that you had a fine setup. I run a 33 lb bruce with 40' of 3/8" chain. I sleep very well at night and have yet to drag. I am selective as to where I anchor and make sure to always set my anchor. I am curious as to how you rig your anchor and chain. I rig mine like this:

If it hangs up, I can break the gangion (sp?) and pull it up from the bottom.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default On the boat

We spend our nights on the boat. We run the dog and take lots of walks during the day but really enjoy sleeping in the boat at night.
    We set the depth finder on shallow and deep alarms along with the GPS for added security. It has gone off before and we quickly resolve the problem.
    A safe anchorage is the key though.
    That being said, it's not uncommon for us to enjoy a campfire on shore boiling shrimp and beach combing.
    Gotta love the Sound!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm like the spoiled one. Whenever it rains, snows or blows I just set a good anchor and gps alarms, turn up the heat a bit, open a beer or a good bottle of wine, boil some shrimp and enjoy. Life is grand, is it summer yet??

Maybe your alarm is going off because you are swinging while anchored. Not uncommon.

Simply nothing beats the boat for sleeping / camping - very little setup work and you're always warm and dry. You can't beat a good anchorage, heat from the stove, ice cold beer, steak / shrimp. Best of all, wake up and head out to fishing grounds while breakfast is cooking. Having said all this - I too like to camp as well, but I do enjoy the conveniences of the boat.

Bugs and rain are givens.

We sleep on the boat.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

I'm the first to admit I'm a rookie when it comes to alot of this. That being said, I've had boats in my family since I can remember and I use boats regularly for work. I just don't anchor up for the night and plan to sleep on board. So I'm pretty sure, not 100% positive but pretty sure, that the boat isn't swinging. I've noticed that my land mark and our position to it is quite different. Now I could be wrong as when the tide is ripping the scope might not be ask bowed, but is sure seems and feels like we've moved. I also try and set the anchor by dropping it, waiting until it hits bottom, let out a bunch of rode and then back up easy until the anchor starts to grab.

I also don't know for sure exactly how much chain I had or its size now that its gone. I've only owned the boat since July. But I will be getting 40ft of chain and probably bump up in size with the anchor when I replace it. I'd rather fight a heavy anchor than not sleep nights worrying about it on the water.

Spoiled one...I didn't have my anchor set up like yours. It came setup when I bought it with the chain only hooked on the non-claw end. I'm planning on setting it up just as you have it so I reduce the probability of losing it next time. I don't want to fork out several hundred dollars next time I anchor up to do some fishing.

Thanks for all the advice and Doug...hope I didn't hijack your thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast