Thread: what make a arsenal in this day and time.

Default what make a arsenal in this day and time.

here something that came up in a talk about owning handguns and rifles .i was told that i had a nice arsenal by this guy who was waiting in line with us when we where wanting to pay for coffee and sandwichs this morning after giveing them the order and we where waiting for our order to come up .. .he replyed that nice arsenal you got there as stood waiting for the sandwichs and coffee .

i started to talked to the guy and explained to him that the diff handguns and rifles for diff use some where for self defense use and some where handgun hunting and some where for back country bear defense when out hikeing the back woods area around the land i own up there and for back county camping trips dureing the summer time when everyone goes fishing and the bears also going fishing at the same stream that you are in ...he ask me was bears that much of a problem in the backcounty area so people we say yes and some people will say no and i told him the reason behind that saying ..

it better to have something that will stop a bear it better to be armed and be safe in the back county we went to the table i showed him the one picture of the bear that was taken and he said that is on bigger animal it on my laptop as a desktop screen saver .i also said you got to see a moose there also ..

when we where at the table my friend and i was telling him this we told him that if you use commen sense in the back county was to keep your eyes open and your head on a sviwel and keep a good look out for them and other animals when out in the back county you will cut down on a lot of the incounters that people have but you are going to have those socalled oh-s-- type momnets when rounding a trail head there sits a moose or bear in the middle of the path way ..

that way a lot of hikers in the backcounty keep bells on the packs to make noise when walking on trails there .and you can go around them need be plus be on the look out for bear scat and other signs that they are in the area and you do ok ..

as we got up to leave the guy said thank you for i never hunted and i was allways wondering about it .. he also said that he allways thought that hunting was done by people who never used the meat or hides for anything wanted the head as a trophy to mounted on the wall

both my friend and i told him this the meat is taken dureing the hunt is going into the family freezer and it help feed the family through the year along with the meat is used from everything from tacos to meatloafs and hambugers and breakfast sausages up her in family meals menus and it stetchs the family food money a lot father at times and he went on his way and my friend and i walked down to the courthouse to begin the day ..

as we where walking towards the court house my friend was asking if i had been able to go hunting up there i told no i been down here everytime a season i wanted to try has come into season i was down here with you guys and i really starting to hate you guys for it when i go and see the hunting pics that they guys where posting on the website ..my friend started to laugh and said to maybe next year you get your hunting fix in and i said this to my friend .. i do not get my fix in because of you guys keeping me down here iam going to get on a plane and not come back out the bush intill i get my tags filled and then worry about geting into trouble for it later ..he said they send the some people after you ..i told you got to find me first and alaska a big place to start looking ..

to me each rifle and pistol i own is a tool to do a job i need to do so that why the diff tools in the tool box for hunting ...but to others i guess it does look like a arsenal to them..

i got to go now they are calling people for court now .. i will check back at a later time ..

I agree - all of my guns serve a practical purpose, but to an uneducated eye it looks like an arsenal.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I guess it depends on what weight and definition you put on the word "arsenal." I've always thought of my collection as an arsenal. My own personal arsenal. How many and what I do with them within the law is my business. Others can call it anything they want, for all I care.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

“Arsenal” as defined by Merriam Webster….
    Main Entry: ar·se·nal

Pronunciation: \ˈärs-nəl, ˈär-sə-\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Italian arsenale, ultimately from Arabic dār ṣināʽa house of manufacture
    Date: 1555
    1 a: an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment
    b: a collection of weapons

by this definition it would seem that quantity has little to do with the term, other than the plurality of the words “arms” and “weapons” which would indicate quantities of two or greater…

Personally, I refer to my collective firearms simply as “my guns” because referring to them as an arsenal conjures mental images of military equipment in my mind, which would be an inaccurate description of my guns as none of them are “as issued” military arms. Pretty much the same reason that I don’t refer to them as a “battery”.

“gun collection” doesn’t really sit well with me either, as to me this implies that I am “collecting” arms that exhibit some similarity as a type of investment of sorts, which wouldn’t apply to my guns….

But when talking about quantity of arms and what I have noted from non-shooting, non-gun type friends, acquaintances and relatives, it seems that fire arms in quantities greater than 3 or 4 tends to move one from the simple description of “hunter” or “sportsman” into the realm of “big-time” or “avid” hunter or sportsman…. And when quantities creep up into the teens and twenties I start hearing the descriptions change towards “gun nut”, “collector”, gun loony” and the like. For me, I suppose quantities in excess of 20 firearms would constitute an “arsenal” or “battery” but I don’t really know why…..

When quantities exceed 30 or 40 arms, I have noted that non-gun folks no longer feel as inclined to offer any comment of any kind…. Perhaps their minds are so full of media driven imagery of nut jobs shooting up schools and malls that they find themselves too preoccupied with trying to determine your intentions and mental health to carry on a conversation regarding those quantities of firearms…. Cant say as though I blame them… after all, if any one of you chaps on this forum engaged me in a conversation and mentioned your “collection” of 45 ceramic unicorns, or 53 clown paintings, then I too would be preoccupied with trying to determine your intentions and mental health…..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    “Arsenal” as defined by Merriam Webster….
    Main Entry: ar·se·nal

Personally, I refer to my collective firearms simply as “my guns” because referring to them as an arsenal conjures mental images of military equipment in my mind, which would be an inaccurate description of my guns as none of them are “as issued” military arms. Pretty much the same reason that I don’t refer to them as a “battery”.

“gun collection” doesn’t really sit well with me either, as to me this implies that I am “collecting” arms that exhibit some similarity as a type of investment of sorts, which wouldn’t apply to my guns….

But when talking about quantity of arms and what I have noted from non-shooting, non-gun type friends, acquaintances and relatives, it seems that fire arms in quantities greater than 3 or 4 tends to move one from the simple description of “hunter” or “sportsman” into the realm of “big-time” or “avid” hunter or sportsman…. And when quantities creep up into the teens and twenties I start hearing the descriptions change towards “gun nut”, “collector”, gun loony” and the like. For me, I suppose quantities in excess of 20 firearms would constitute an “arsenal” or “battery” but I don’t really know why…..

When someone asks me how many firearms I own I tell them it is none of their business. The reason is: people are stupid. If you have more than a shotgun, centerfire rifle, rimfire and maybe a sidearm, you'll be likely branded a kook. This may seem harsh to some (well, many on here), but if you ask someone "how many is too many"? They look at you like a dumb cow because they haven't the reasoning capacity to formulate an answer.
    To get them to do something novel, like think, I ask them "how many pennies are too many pennies for a coin collector"? Or, "how many pairs of shoes are too many for a woman who is into 'style'"? While the worms are crawling around in what passes for their brains, I tell them I know a woman in Fairbanks who has over 1,000 (yes, that is correct), salt and pepper shakers. Or my mom, who has a complete set of each of blue and red Depression Glass. You can see the look of dawning comprehension on the faces of the brighter ones. A collection is a collection and a collector is someone who enjoys collecting something. Each of those sets of salt and pepper shakers are different, and anyone who knows anyone trying to get a set of Depression Glass knows not only how pretty the various dishes, cups ect. are, but how hard they are to find. It is simply collecting, nothing nefarious at all.
    I've had some people look askance when I mention I bought a case of .22LR ammo. The usual rejoinder is "why so much"? I give them the "how many is...", and then carefully spell out how using a brick of .22 is a gift that comes back, since passing them out on birthdays and holidays guarantees a good supply of ptarmigan, rabbits and other associated small game for the coming year.
    I am slowly turning the negative programming around on most folks that I associate with who've been brainwashed. It takes time though.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    When someone asks me how many firearms I own I tell them it is none of their business.
    I just say "One or two!" and leave it at that for all the reasons you list. Just that they ask tells me they are not gun people, what gun person even keeps a count like that! I like most gun people have no clue what my count is, or what to count even, actions, parts kit guns, receivers, frames?
    I know what I have but I don't see any way or reason to assign a number.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

as where sitting there talking to the guy we where explaining to him the poeple who hunt and fish on the lands here in America .. we are keepers of the lands and oceans and we do everything in our own power to never take something from the land without giveing something back to the land ..we who hunt and fish on the land spend a lot of hard earn money make sure the land is taken care of and cared for in ways that people who do not hunt or fish will never understand in the heads ..for we all more worryed about the issuse at hand when it comes to logging and mineing and drilling the land for oil and how it effects the land around this places and the animals also in the area and how we will lose a resouces to feed our familys
    i told this as we where parting ways ..we sportmans are more of eco freaks than the eco freaks typles that you hear about on tv for we know that the can the land the ocean can never be taken for granted ..i told also the farmer and rancher also work and live off the land they take very good care of it for they know that where there liveyhood is at ..
    so the next time someone tells that people who hunt or fish only take and never give back to the land remember this statement we pour millions of dollars in the programs each state has by buying hunting and fishing lics and along with dinners and raffles and other things that the state wildlife offers up to us sportsman ..

what he heard was the part of what i had bought over the time frame of beening up there and i want i was in the planning stages of buying in the next month or two ..