Thread: Gun carry

Smile Gun carry

I want to carry my revolver while I am fishing, im only fifteen and im not sure if a fifteen year old can carry on while fishing. Does anyone know?
    Thanks

As I understand the law, from memory and I’m no lawyer.

1. You can purchase and possess a handgun at age 21 by Federal law.

2. You can own and possess a handgun at age 18, gift or privet party transaction.

3. You can own but not possess a handgun under 18, unless accompanied by legal adult at a range, during hunting, etc.

4. You can purchase ammo for a handgun at age 21, 18 if you demonstrate that it's for use in a rifle chambered for a handgun round.

Gun laws never make any real world since, like 21 to buy from a reputable dealer but 18 from the crack head down the road. But for now we are stuck with them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

RMK

Default Gun Laws for kids

Since you asked about carrying while fishing, I will address the state law, and not the Anchorage municipal ordinance on weapons.

The law you could be in danger of breaking is "Misconduct involving a weapon in the 5th degree." This is a "B" misdemeanor.

Firstly, if you're under 16, and living at home, you need a parent or guardian's permission to be in possession of a firearm. Period.

Let's assume you have that permission. Now you can carry a gun, but not concealed because you're under 21. Even if pop says you can have a gun, that gun can't be hidden from view.

However, you are in luck. There are exceptions.

1. If you are in your own home, or on land owned by you, knock yourself out. This extends to your parents land as not too many 15 year old kids will own property.

2. You can also carry a concealed gun when actively fishing or hunting, and a gun was needed for protection. That leaves some wiggle room for debate. If you're fishing at Finger Lake in Palmer, it would be a tough argument. If you're out on the Newhalen near Illiamna, it would be easy to make.

I hope this helps you. If your parents go along, and you're fishing somewhere that you can reasonably argue that a gun is needed, you can do it.

This is how the Alaska State law stands. I'm not familiar with the federal law. Andy says it is more restrictive, and I'm not going to argue. If you're on state land, or private land, I would think state law would prevail. On federal land, you could wind up in a pickle. Andy is right that a lot of laws don't make sense. I won't even get started on that.

The safe thing to do is let the adults carry the firearms if they are along.

Federal law trumps state no matter the jurisdiction and the more restrictive is what officers usually go by. Like RMK says I don't think you are going to have a problem in the field when Troopers come to check you, however if you are going alone how to you get to and from the field without violating the federal possession law? APD, PPD, WPD and about any PD will hang you when they find you are in possession during a traffic stop.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yep the state could say you don't need to pay federal income tax but it would not hold up in federal courts

I met a kid once who was wearing a cap and ball revolver because of the law. That would be legal, wouldn't it? Not up to a 44 magnum against a bear, but would probably beat a fly rod.
    Louis Knapp

Interesting, I think it would fly since they don't meet the Federal definition of a firearm . . . they can even be mailed with no paperwork. Definitely not a great stopper but beets nothing all to heck, maybe would even be passable with a hard alloy lead ball.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

No a kid can't buy a handgun but he can join the Marines and learn to use a belt fed machinegun. Ain't we glad we've got those kids.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Ain't we glad we've got those kids.
    Aint that the truth! In the words of Mark LaRue:

"God bless our troops...especially our snipers"