Thread: Mountain lions in Alaska?

Exclamation Mountain lions in Alaska?

A guy at work who has lived all of his 38 years here in Alaska said that he keeps getting reports/rumors of mountain lion sightings I believe up around Nabesna...Anyone else see or hear of similar? Just thought it was wild...Miss having the opportunity like I had in AZ, would be AWESOME if you could hunt them up here! :D This still is crazier than the turkeys and stone sheep...both of which HAVE been confirmed though both aren't apparently established populations...Would love to hear anything pertinent...

AZinAK

Default Eklutna

My whole family saw one at Eklutna last summer at mile 4.5 on the ATV trail. Broad daylight on the trail. Reported it to Fish & Game but they said "must of been a lynx".
    I have seen bobcat, used to trap'em in La, and I've seen lynx up here. neither of them have a thick three foot-long tail. I also know someone who saw one on the KP 10 years ago.
    Afflicted by condition human

Default fish and game

i went to a hunting seminar a while back and fish and game had pictures of a mountain lion in somebody's chicken coupe down on the kenai peninsula. they said it was a fluke the 1 lion got lost and wound up trying to get back south just ran out fo land........whatever

I'd have to see the tracks at least. Oughta be pretty easy to find in the snow. They're dirt easy to snare too, so I'd think they'd have shown up in a set the first winter they arrived.

Great just great, I just made the final payments on my scope sighted Clam-gun, The hallibut-gun is paid for, so now I got'ta have a *****cat-gun. next thing you know the beavers will go rogue........yep, I'll need a beaver-wacker:eek:

Another thread on the subject...

Did it look like this little 317 lb cat?

Cat pict, courtesy of Bronco.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 04-29-2010 at 07:47.

Thumbs up

I have a couple of different friends that live and hunt deer/elk down in SE, and they have shot deer/elk that had big cat claw marks on their backs/sides. They have seen the cougars and their tracks on the mainland and a few of the islands. They have seen "some" kills from cats as well. Granted, not a big population of cougars when compared to places like AZ, MT, NV, OR or wherever, but they are here and doing pretty good for the most part. These friends also told me that during mild winters and summers, apparently they'll come up and over the mountains from BC. Kinda like the mule deer and stone sheep do. I guess some stay and some go back. I don't know for sure.
    Cats love elk meat and look at the elk population between Ft. Nelson and Whitehorse. I could see a cat possibly meandering its way into AK and being seen around Nabesna. There's caribou, moose and sheep over there. Thems pretty good kitty vittles too.
    Last edited by swampdonkey; 02-19-2010 at 17:39. Reason: add info.

There was one shot on one of the hunting show a few years back that came into town, it wasn't on film but they showed it right afterwards. Don't remember which show but it was, Steve Scott's or Larry Czonka's I think. Maybe someone else knows of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    There was one shot on one of the hunting show a few years back that came into town, it wasn't on film but they showed it right afterwards. Don't remember which show but it was, Steve Scott's or Larry Czonka's I think. Maybe someone else knows of it.
    What town?

Not sure, I remember it was along the coast. They had it on the dock for pic's. Proably doesn't help much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Mountain lions in alaska

Here is a link to ADF&G article of two taken in the state and what state biologists say about this phenomenon

http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...26&issue_id=11
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    My whole family saw one at Eklutna last summer at mile 4.5 on the ATV trail. Broad daylight on the trail. Reported it to Fish & Game but they said "must of been a lynx".
    I have seen bobcat, used to trap'em in La, and I've seen lynx up here. neither of them have a thick three foot-long tail.
    Don't ya' just love that? And guess what would happen if you'd have shot it to prove it to them? (Top of page 7, 2009-2010 Alaska Hunting Regulations):

Look up the species you want to hunt and check for an open season - if it is open, you hay hunt it. If the species is not listed, you may NOT hunt that species.
    So, they deny it exists, you see it, and if you shoot it, you're a criminal, even though they don't believe it even exists. It's like Bigfoot. They'll never figure it out.

There was one shot on Wrangell Island and another one was shot at by the police in town by the forest service bunk house. It was trying to get a guys dogs that were tied up outside. Another was traped in totem bay also.