Thread: Spring Griz out of Kotzebue

Default Spring Griz out of Kotzebue

I'm trying to put together a griz hunt this spring the last week of May out of Kotz, as I'll be up there for other business.. Anybody hunt spring bears out of Kotz? Any recommendations on areas? How big do the bears get up there?

Thanks!

In general, bears aren't as big up there. But a few show up that are book size. Late may might be a little touchy for getting out in the country. Probably pretty wet by then.
    Maybe stranger will chime in. If you went up earlier, might work out better.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Martentrapper is right,
    WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Wet.
    Some Bears are Big and Fat, just depends on how sucessfull they are.
    They do tend to be very Blond, but I have hunted Browns only around here, and have had a couple notably "Big" Bears, but nothing to compare them too. I hunt them in early April, on snowmachine in the mountains, and if later, where they wait for migrating Caribou moving North, and they are following the animals relentlessly, tiring them out, and getting the weak....as soon as theres a "Wet" day. Drips will drive them outta their den, old men say. Fat and beautifull, but not as big as they are in Fall, they are ~delicious!~

Late April we're hunting Geese, as water is a moving and break up on most rivers up this way starts. Small rivers in early May and big rivers mid May with the Sound breaking up early/mid June. The ice in the Sound go's out in mid, late June.
    20 years ago, they used to have Ugruk and Seal cutting compatitions at Kotz for 4th of July, but now Spring is about a month early.
    Difficlt to do any thing but Boat around, as walking is a cold, soupy propasition.
    By then, the bears will have burned off remaining fat and will be chewy.

There are others here who can tell you good areas, and their experiance.

Good hunting for Geese, Ducks, Trout out in the Ocean, by the ice. Some of the most awsome bird hunting anywhere!
    I'd bet someone you work with would have a boat down there.

Good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Agree on the importance of a boat. Being in Kotz without one is lacking. If you can get up the Noatak or Kobuk in a boat, a world of opportunity unfolds. Very special place NW Alaska. Well, for those with boats. Ha ha....
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks guys. By "wet" do you mean rain, or just soaked ground? I'm well versed with SE "wet", but have never been up north this time of the year.

What I'm thinking about is getting flown into an area where I can do a little camping/hunting for 4-5 days. I'd like to be able to hike around a bunch and glass from higher areas, as that's what I like to do.. Is that possible?

Get up on a ridge that overlooks some Caribou trails and you might have a good chance.

Hip waders are the fasion out there,bring some comfy ones and a spare pair of boots, as you will need to dry out each night.
    Get a map of NW AK and look at the toporaphy.
    Caribou of the WACH are Migreting North to the Slope from the Northern Seward Pennensula/Buckland village areas, across the ice, if its there at Kobuk and Selawik Lakes, or around Selawik lake if the ice is gone. The cows are leading the way and Bulls bring up the rear with yearlings left behind.
    Look down the brush lines, and the brown willows and brown grass will hide a Bear well, but not it hes moving. On a Mountain, you will see them against the rocks well enough. Lotsa Bears here are colored like faded Carharts in color that time of year.
    Its good to sit apon high ground and glass the willow lines and the Caribou.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

If flying out, keep in mind much access up that way is by landing on gravel bars along rivers. Many of which could be under water from swollen rivers due to snow melt off. Or perhaps still iced up themselves. Not sure about the end of May. I would contact some bush pilots and get there 2 cents on that. Jared is doing bush flights for Hageland Aviation now. I have not used him, but have his phone number. PM me if you want it. He could also be reached by contacting Hageland in Kotz. Jim Kincaid is who I will use for my next float trip up above Kotz. Done three up that way, but my old pilot (Eric Sieh) is moved on to another job. Jim can be reached via his website www.alaskaonyourown.com
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The only thing I'm going to add is that we have VERY little snow. unless we get some snow using a snowmobile is going to be very tough that time of year.

If you are flying out the lack of snow may allow planes to land on bars they normally couldn't have.