Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: felt sole ban in SE

Default felt sole ban in SE

I understand the reasoning, but what if you are not a traveling fisherman?

felt ban link

I love my rock dog "sandles" for when the rivers get really mucky late in the year.

Default Enforcement maybe?

Be tough to enforce if not all or none. Maybe you don't travel, but another resident fishing the same stream does... ?

When I think about invasive... neurologic diseases, for example, that kill young trout, like Whirling Disease (http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/m...whirling.shtml), hey - I'm done with felt. Do my part. Does it work? Is it enough? It's not all within my power to influence, but this is.

Healthy Rainbows forever.

Default I may be through fishing

I can understand the ban on felt soles, but safety issues must be considered. I fish with Felt Soles for one reason. They provide the best footing for wading across a variety of underwater terrain. Several years ago I began to lose sensation in my feet. I have since been diagnosed with a late onset Neuromuscular Disorder. When you have no sensation in your feet it is hard to tell your slipping until gravity takes over. Flet soles allow me to wade with a certain amount of confidence.
    I am uncertain what they propose to use for wading, but I seriously doubt that it will rival the footing that felt soles provide. I trully enjoy getting into the water and chasing the bows, dollies, and grayling. It is almost theraputic for me. It takes my mind off everything that is weighing me down. Some consideration should be given to the fact felt soles provide more stable footing

Default spikes?

many years ago, 25?, I switched from felt to felt with spike to rubber with spikes. Honestly, I can't imagine anything safer, on any surface, than spikes. I am now on my 4th pair of Korker guide boots, which are terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    I switched from felt to felt with spike to rubber with spikes. Honestly, I can't imagine anything safer, on any surface, than spikes. I am now on my 4th pair of Korker guide boots, which are terrific.
    Agree. I've been wearing the rubber this winter in cold water on various surfaces and have no complaints. Certainly, when you consider hiking to your favorite fishing hole, if you do that kind of thing, then the new rubber is safer...i have the 1st generation "new" rubber, btw...and I suspect the 2nd (or 3rd) is even better...

Sticky rubber > Felt
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Just goes to show how many fisherman will trade their souls for the prospect of the big one..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default New rubber?

I am all ears.......What is the new rubber all about? I thought Rubber was Rubber.......Seems as though it would all be lick on the rocks.

I was in New Zealand last year and they are absolutely fanatical about no felt. They inspected everything at customs from net to flies. I didn't have a problem, since all of my stuff is very clean and I use the sticky rubber boots. Most fly-shops over there even sell a spray that you spray your boots with when you're done fishing for the day to kill the Didimo. I fished a few rivers that were Didimo free and then one day fished one that was absolutely packed with the "rock snot". I don't wish that stuff on any eco-system, it's disgusting. It floats down the river and dry flies even pick it up. Most every local in NZ fishes fubber and spikes. I almost bit it a few times and wished I had spikes on my boots, but did fine. I imagine the newer rubber is even better than my 5 year old Simms sticky rubber boots, which have held up amazingly well. I might have to get a new pair this year though. Another great thing about the rubber sole, is the lack of snow build up as opposed to wearing felt. I used to feel like Frankenstein walking around with 4 inches of snow packed onto that felt.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    I am all ears.......What is the new rubber all about? I thought Rubber was Rubber.......Seems as though it would all be lick on the rocks.

the "new rubber" for wading soles is the old rubber for rock climbing shoes. Soft gummy stuff that smears on grainy surfaces. My old rock shoes did not work well on wet rock, but they are 90's era technology and with the newer polymers sticky rubber is finally sticky.

If you google "wading boots sticky rubber" you will come up with many results for the most current grear.

With the late season conditions on the Russian I would always want to have studded soles, which is the beauty of the rock dog sandles. They have golf cleats and felt and go over my hunting boot foot waders. However, it appears that soon I will have to have a separate set of fishing waders and boots.

Default kids or small womens sized sticky rubber boots

Well, after looking around the intertubes for a while I could not find any really small wader boots that would fit my daughter.

The smallest sized Korkers with the inserts are a mens 6 which are about four sizes too big for my girl. It could be three or more years before she will fit in a mens 6 wader boot.

I felted her current boots two years ago and she can now wade without hanging on my arm, but without studs she still struggles in late season slime. Mostly because she does not weigh much and floats too easily.

With the future state ban it looks like she will be back to hanging on my arm or we will have to go to REI and get some rock climbing soles to make her a set of kids sized sticky rubber boots with studs.

I am not too keen on spending $120-$160 on boots for a kid that only fishes three days a year and might out grow them in a year.

AK Ray,
    You might be able to find some short hex screws and just drill through the felt and into the sole of your daughters boot. That'd give her a good bite on rocks and would be a cheap alternative. Get a hardened type and she'd probably be good to go.

Something like these:
    http://www.pacificnorthwestoutfitter...www.nextag.com
    Last edited by snowcamoman; 02-19-2010 at 11:35. Reason: added link

Default Statewide

Just a heads up: a proposals in the books to be considered at the March BOF meeting to go statewide with the ban. For or against, get your testimony in! Its due around the beginning of March for written, or you can provide oral testimony at the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    AK Ray,
    You might be able to find some short hex screws and just drill through the felt and into the sole of your daughters boot. That'd give her a good bite on rocks and would be a cheap alternative. Get a hardened type and she'd probably be good to go.

Something like these:
    http://www.pacificnorthwestoutfitter...www.nextag.com

The point of this thread is that felt will soon be banned throughout Alaska.

No one is making sticky rubber wading boots for feet smaller than a mens 6.

Installing screws into an illegal to wear felted sole does not solve my problem.

If I was going this route I would use Simms hardened screws or grip studs.

Default dumb and dumber

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Just a heads up: a proposals in the books to be considered at the March BOF meeting to go statewide with the ban. For or against, get your testimony in! Its due around the beginning of March for written, or you can provide oral testimony at the meeting.
    Yeah, here's my testimony. Banning felt does absolutely nothing to prevent transfer of foreign organisms. What will do something, is to educate people wash their equipment; the composition of the equipment does not make it clean. Washing equipment is what is needed, no matter what it is made of.

On the other hand, dirty equipment, no matter what the material - whether it be rubber soles, feltsoles, neoprene, shoelaces, socks, or anything else with dirt on it, can equally transmit foreign organisms.

This is by far the dumbest proposal I have ever heard of; and does more damage than good by leading people to believe that it does something that it can't. The only thing dumber is that your legislature voted for it.

Did the legislature vote for it?

Isn't it a board of fisheries regulation?

With all of the boot manufacturers discontinuing their felt soled boots, this regulation is unecessary. Eventually all felt soled boots will go the way of the dinosaurs.

I agree that it is more important to educate the public about cleaning all fishing gear rather than banning one type of gear when all gear can create the problem.

People have purchased felt lined boots in good faith for years. If the State decides to ban those boots, then they should reimburse Alaskan resident buyers for the cost of all usable felt wading boots.

This is another case of too much government interference in a case where the industry has taken a major step to solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    Yeah, here's my testimony. Banning felt does absolutely nothing to prevent transfer of foreign organisms. What will do something, is to educate people wash their equipment; the composition of the equipment does not make it clean. Washing equipment is what is needed, no matter what it is made of.

On the other hand, dirty equipment, no matter what the material - whether it be rubber soles, feltsoles, neoprene, shoelaces, socks, or anything else with dirt on it, can equally transmit foreign organisms.

This is by far the dumbest proposal I have ever heard of; and does more damage than good by leading people to believe that it does something that it can't. The only thing dumber is that your legislature voted for it.
    Really? How about the fact that you have totally ignored reams of research and the facts of the material in question? Felt soles provide a perfect habitat for micro organisms and small invertebrates to hide in. They can easily burrow deeply enough that washing them out is next too impossible. They can also survive in that felt for weeks do to felts ability to hold moisture. Yes washing gear is very important, how many folks do you know who would be willing to soak there boots in bleach every time they get home form fishing? That's what many of the researchers are saying would be necessary to effectively wash felt boots! Get over yourself and learn to wade! Ask a trout unlimited member form Colorado or any other state affected by whirling disease if washing that felt is enough!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I agree with Rick but, the only way to get rid of alot of these organisms is by bleaching or freezing them off the boots, waders and other gear. A seam can carry Didymo.

Default Little. Yellow. Different.

I just purchased the Simms Rivershed with Vibram streamtread soles yesterday because whether or not felt is as bad as they say (personally I have no opinion) the fact is that the times are changing. I have put thousands of miles on Vibram soles and swear by them. Actually my wife calls it "O.C.D"...I almost refuse to wear shoes without the little yellow stamp. I couldn't be more excited to try these boots out. It's about the only Simms product I can afford (other than a t-shirt that I have and an extra pair of laces). I'll be sure to post my review on how they did after the first wading action of the year...

Sapper in the Skies

Sorry AK Ray, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, I was just trying to help the guy out so his daughter wouldn't fall in the river. Next time I'll PM somebody and stay on topic.

They used to sell the sticky rubber in a sheet that you could cut and apply to your boots. That would mean that any size boot, especially a kids shoe size would work. I'd imagine if you got in touch with somebody at Simms or Sticky Rubber, they could probably sell you a small sheet to help protect your child while wading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast