Thread: Managed to stabilize 275gr Barnes in M77-350 REM MAG

Default Managed to stabilize 275gr Barnes in M77-350 REM MAG

It turns out that the Stainless M77MKIIs had a different rifling twist than the other Ruger's in 350 rem mag. SO... I decided to try some 275 grain bullets.

I could not find any loading data for this weight so I played around until something worked.

These were the very old BARNES 275s made from lead. I only have a few left so each experiment was only 3 rounds. This load of 56.5 grains of Reloader 15 seems to work... I just bought some Kodiak bonded 358 caliber 275 grain bullets as well. They look almost the same. The Kodiak's are a touch larger in diameter around the base, so I may have to back-down the powder to find the sweet spot.

A 3589 caliber, 275 grain bullet (the Barnes' really weighed 276.3 grains) at 2,450 should work well
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    It turns out that the Stainless M77MKIIs had a different rifling twist than the other Ruger's in 350 rem mag. SO... I decided to try some 275 grain bullets.

I could not find any loading data for this weight so I played around until something worked.

These were the very old BARNES 275s made from lead. I only have a few left so each experiment was only 3 rounds. This load of 56.5 grains of Reloader 15 seems to work... I just bought some Kodiak bonded 358 caliber 275 grain bullets as well. They look almost the same. The Kodiak's are a touch larger in diameter around the base, so I may have to back-down the powder to find the sweet spot.

A 3589 caliber, 275 grain bullet (the Barnes' really weighed 276.3 grains) at 2,450 should work well

Really well!

Looks great to me...

Ought to sort out most things nicely

Too bad hornady no longer makes their .358" 275 gr rn, it would be perfection. The ss ruger 350 has a 1-12 twist, so should stabalize all the way up to the 310 gr woodleighs. It seems to shoot my 280 gr cast bullets just fine, but I haven't put much effort into load work.

I'm suprised you got the bullets going so fast, I would have expected more along the lines of 2350-2400 fps.

I will try the 275 grain Kodiak Bonded bullets this weekend.
    I too am rather surprised that it worked out so well. Although the muzzle flash was significant. While looking through the old 2x7 Leupold, the target suddenly disappeared into a yellow ball of flame.

During that same session I also played around with some more 200 grain Barnes Triple Shocks and some of the old reliable Hornady 250 grain round nose.

Note that the 200 gr Barnes XXX experimental load was half a grain more than the last load I published, but the velocity remained the same. So backing it down by half a grain from the load here is a very good idea. This was in virgin brass.

Here are the loads (on the photo) and groups. It probably helped that I lapped the bore.

I haven't tried any 250's out of my ruger 350. I have some hornady 250 sp and rn. The rn shot very well out of my old 350 rigby mag, but at 2700 fps they were just too soft for close shots.

This is how my ruger shoots the 225 sierra's, and that was with the heavy factory trigger and 10 factory loads through the barrel.

Gotta love a gun where you complete your load work after a single session at the range.

Paul.
    I am also obtaining good groups with the Sierra 225gr Boat-tails and the Speer 220 semi flat point. HOWEVER, I am pushing them at over 2,800 fps (see photo) and they have both come apart on moose within 100 yards.
    The 225 grain Kodiak Bonded bullets do better on game, but they will not shoot the tight groups obtained when using the Sierra's.

I guess I should try some 225 grain Partitions.

I tried your 57gr of Varget load and I was only getting 2,559 fps for the 225 grain Sierras.

Well, this stinks.
    I tried some KODIAK BONDED 275s in place of the extinct Barnes. The group opened up to 3 inches. The velocity was the same.

Now I have to figure out why.....