Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .....Dealing with injuries....

Default .....Dealing with injuries....

-Ever been injured while hunting?
    -and how did you deal with it....

-also, anyone ever face illness or injury just prior to a hunt?
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default nothing serious

Thats why we take first aid/CPR. My next class is next friday to re up my card(s). I hope I never have to use it for real, esp on a client in the field

I have been sick solo in the mountains it it ranks way up there as one of the worst experiences of my life. Ended up scrubbing the trip and hiking out 13 miles to cell service and calling for a pickup. I sprawled out on the side of the road and didn't get up till my wife got there to pick me up. That was the one and only solo trip for me.

Did you mean sick........sick of packing moose meat.......sick of zero visibility, 60 MPH wind, and torrential Rain....? Or did you mean sheep hunting and being nauseas because your on the face of a cliff, you just browned your shorts, your holding on with finger tips and toes, can't go up.....can't go down, have too pee so bad your back teeth are floating, scared to death your next move will be your last.

Or did you mean just plain'old Beaver'fever/Food'poisioning ("Please, God take me now") type sick.......

NOPE......Got no experience with any type of discomfort when afield......

Talking Beaver Fever

I got "Beaver Fever" on a 20 day float hunt back in 03 up North. I had a rough couple of days but my buddies took good care of me. On the same hunt, one of my partners developed a kidney stone within hours of the plane leaving on day one! After 12 hours of screaming and throwing up from all the meds we gave him, he passed that stone at first light the next morning and we were off and running. LOL

Default 1986 - 29 yrs old...

Was at about 9000 ft in Montana Mtns - 2ft snow - minus 15 degree's and chasing elk. Slipped on a log and dislocated my right shoulder. **** near passed out from pain - new it was coming as I had passed out before - nausea, sweats, site going - buddies were miles away in another drainage - took a minute and rubbed snow in face - talked to myself alot - started a mental checklist and made a plan to take my mind off of the pain and predicament which made me calm down. Drank some juices.
    Could leave my pack and gun but knew odds of ever getting it back were slim at best - didn't EVEN want to think of falling and trying to use my right arm to stop fall, so after maybe 20 minutes of talking my way back to sanity I more or less scooted my way down to truck at 5500 feet. Took all day and wore out seat of high dollar bibs and a pair of jeans! Shale slides were real tough to negotiate. Luckily met one of my 2 buddies at truck - they had a bull down - he took me to town and a good samaritan took me to a nearby hospital where they pop'd it back. Next day I shot a bull and so did my other buddy - needless to say I was not much help and it took months to heal to 100%! This was a total DIY trip... Learned alot hard way.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Yaaaaaaaa

My time spent camping more often involves my family, which is large, and others who camp with or near us.

When I was 19 I took the Alaska Emergency Medical Trechnition course, and it has save may a "Pain" and may be the single most helpfull schooling I have ever taken.

Oddly enough, help is always three days away. call for healp up here, and "Maby" someone will come.

Had a nephew break a Tib, Fib, Femor running down hill into an old cable and folded at his knee, his face down to his foot.
    Called the docs, who told us to take 'em to a clinic, 45 miles away, over a mountain, because since we werent Doctors, how could we possibly know it was broken???!!!......being in camp, we had no clinic, and with no doc to "Say so" we recived no med flight.
    Belive me, when I got 'em to the doc, he was medivac'd straight to Anch, and I seriously raised wicked HELL......

Well, there were burns, food poisoning, broken nose, a Muskox stomp, tooth breaks,a daughter fell off a log and broke her clavical, hypotherimia, a cut off finger, chainsaw cuts, cuts in general, rashes, a mild heartattack at a Mining camp,and high fevers....more if I think about it, but thats been over alotta years.
    All I could do was stablize 'em and get 'em to a doc.......and teach the kids how to save themselfs
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Cuts, bruises, broken bones, dysentery, the flu.....think that covers it. I had a real bad case of the young and dumbs as a youth! I was however lucky enough to have a father that insisted I get back country first aid training and basic CPR certification at a early age. Latter being in various ER's inspired me to become a RN, no longer practice and have no interest in returning.

so far nothing serious has happened more than a mile or so from a road. I have had to do stitches in the field and splint a broken leg. The time I ended up stuck in a sleeping bag with liquid coming from both ends from drinking bad water quick thinking and gater aid powder saved me. I learned my lesson when I had the flu and as soon as I started feeling ill I got some water filtered. Ya like I said young and dumb, should have just filtered the water in the first place!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I fell two years ago in the mountains and tore muscles in my neck and shoulder- hurt so bad I thought something was surely broken. Immobilized the arm with my pack and sternum strap, ccrubbed the hunt and hiked 5 miles out after stashing most of my non-critical gear under a rock shelf. Went back 2 weeks later and retrieved it.

I managed to drive myself 140miles to the clinic and it hurt off and on for months but it finally healed.

I've shied away from solo trips somewhat after that as well as carry a much better first aid kit and a Spot beacon.

Coming off the mountain and took a header off a snow covered log and landed head and shoulder into the ground. I could not move or get up, fortunately I had my son with me. He untangled my arms from around my gun and pack and had to physically pick me up off the ground. Gladly we didn't have far to go to the truck, but I had extreme pain in my shoulder and I was unable to lift my arm at all.

We had 2 days left on POW before we could catch a ferry home, was able to call the wife and set up Dr. appointment with orthopedic guy.

Torn rotator cuff, surgery took care of the tear. And it seemed to take forever to re-coop.

I had a fourwheeler flip and land on my lower back, paralyzing me about six miles from the road. After a few minutes to make sure nothing else was broken or bleeding, my partner prepped me to spend several hours there and got ready to ride like the wind. Luckily, the feeling in my legs gradually started coming back about 15 minutes after the injury. I think knowing first aid should be a requirement for hunting in Alaska.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Yep

About 4 yrs ago, I was using a good ol' dull knife skinning a moose. About two minutes into the job the knife slipped out of the cape and went straight into my leg and stuck in the bone just above the knee. " I know, never cut towards yourself, I've been told this and have told my boys this a million and one times" This is why. Well after the third good pull, the knife came unlodged and popped out. My buddy ran about 1/2 mile back to the boat for the firstaid kit, we wound up putting some ointment on/in it after letting if bleed out and then closed it up with super glue and put a bandage on it and then wrapped it with duct tape. We finished the moose that day and I felt every step with the weight on my back. Good times

The only time I badley injured myself in the field was on last years chugach sheep hunt. my partner bailed last minute so I chose to do it solo.I ended up getting a nice double broomed,Full curll ram on opening day of my tag,but had six days of gear plus boned out sheep and cape and horns on first day hunt of a seven day plan.got a belly full of heart and planned on making it to truck the next day. proved to be to much for this 155lb man.My start from camp to the ridge lines I felt good,walking with the clouds I was in another world.after many ups and downs and more ups,I finally seen the road....I sat down and enjoyed a hot meal and my majestic suroundings.Packed up cooking supplies and was ready to make the last decent.After a couple hundred feet i was really struggleing to keep afoot.Came to a little rock face and insted of dropping my pack and sliding down,I tried to make it with it on and started to slide and lost footing and fell with my right ankle bending to the right under load. I felt my shin bone snap i thought.I franticaly tried to unlach pack and threw of, tried to stand and instantally fell down and almost fainted.I sat there for a while and could move hole ankle exept to the right, it just felt knumb.I was so close i could see parking lot.I tried to get pack on but could not because of the steepness it was too much.so i started to drag my pack till tree line took a couple hours but did it.At that point I was willing to leave pack and gun ,But started to think about all the bears that I seen and the task it would take of finding it in the trees with no gps,forgot it at home with my camera.I could still see the parking lot and since i went through it this far I thought I might as well finish this!I managed to shoulder pack thanks to my trusty pine walking branch,and made it to truck right at sundown.after all that the hardest efort was trying to throw my fully loaded jim shocky bag in the back of my lifted f350 after all that try to jump in it with a tore up ankle.got home and fell straight to sleep woke up at 2:00pm and thought it was a dream,stood up and sudenly remembered..ended up with damaged liagments ,no broken bone praise god.swollen for months and can finally get around without limping.Have ben dreading a full load again but think i could manage.That might be my last solo mountain hunt but could have been alot worse.I can't wait to get that ram back from my taxidermest,probaly will be my hardest earned trophy ever.

I broke a molar halfway through a three-week hunt in the Charley-Yukon. Didn't hit it on anything, just hiking along and C-R-A-C-K. Not really life threatening, but that's pain. I was only 18, but no one really objected to me sneaking a bottle of schnapps for medication.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I fell off a 30ft cliff last Nov. on Kodiak while trying to retrieve my downed buck. Hurt like all hell, but thankfully no broken bones. I did puncture my wrist to the bone, bruising tendons and causing a lot of bleeding, I applied pressure to the wrist and after a few minutes the bleeding shut off, although it bled off and on for 8 hours and hurt like the Dickens for a couple months. Cracked a hole in my head through my Stormy Kromer cap, no hole in the hat, still trying to figure that one out, bled for a while the I got it stopped but I think I may have had a minor concussion. Gashed my right knee open along with a nasty sprain. Got a minor tear in my ACL on my left knee, which, who would have thought, hurt alot.
    I did manage to go get my buck and stayed in bed for two days after my return to civilization.

CPR is good, but sometimes one can't take care of oneself, except for certain injuries. A good thing to always carry in the medical kit, or a Zip-Lok bag is a roll of duct tape, and something else a doctor told me long ago: a few sanitary napkins He told me that these pads are sterile, and you can place one or two over a deep cut or wound to stop external bleeding. That's where duct tape becomes useful, since you can always wrap some of it over the pad to keep it in place. Another handy thing for small cuts is "Crazy Glue" or a similar type of glue. It will sting like fire, but if you can keep your fingers away from the glue, you can glue the open skin together. Just don't glue the finger to it

So far I have never had any injuries while hunting or just camping.

Have had a really bad asthma attack up at a lake caribou hunting.
    Ran outta inhalers and it was 3 days till we were do to fly out plus the weather was really bad.
    Drank lots of tea and coffee. Had dad and a cousin thinking i was not going to make it out.

I now carry enough steroids to last past the end of the trip and lots of inhalers.
    Have to really ride the docs to make sure i have enough steroids.

had a bruised ego once............ok, a few times............FINE everytime!

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default Ailment

I had appendicitis on a kodiak bear hunt in Uganik, first day of hunt in the spring. Road around the Island on the boat Rennaisance they were going herring fishing. My buddy that was with me had busted his ankle 2 weeks before when he slid off a roof in Bethel. Wouldn't let the doc put a solid cast on his ankle. This was so he could walk on the hunt wearing a walking cast. Anyway we get around the Island and get dropped off We hunt for a day. All day I had bad stomach cramps no sleep that night. In the morning I talked with the skipper of the boat we came around the island on using my hand held vhf. We discuss the symtoms and decide it was appendecitis. At that point I asked the aircraft overhead (spotters) if any were headed back to Kodiak. I had a plane in 30 seconds on the water in front of our tent was in the hospital in less than a half hour and almost immediately operated on. After a minor rubber gloved violation.

First aid is a good thing to know. Always carry some sort of communication. I carry a VHF I can talk to boats and planes in the area with. You can get help extremely quick that way, When it is available. One of My hunt partners always carries his sat phone with him which works nice if you know your coordinates, as you will be explaining your location to someone that does not see what you see or where you see. Pesonally I lean toward the VHF Ideally both of them.

$25,000 later I was ready to go again

P.S If the pilot or skipper happen to read this Thank you for everything
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Bear "chewed" on me once. Walked a couple miles back to the Cannery. Darrell and Morris "doctored" it up. That has been "about it".
    Joe (Ak)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast