Thread: Paint boat bottom

Default Paint boat bottom

Will have the boat in a slip for the first time this summer. It is a 26' Aluminum Boulton. Friend asked me if I was going to paint the bottom before keeping it in the water all summer. Hadn't really thought about it. Will the anodes be enough to protect the hull or would it be a good idea to get it painted? The slip is in Seward.

Thanks

It depends, how many anodes?

How big are the anodes?

Where are they located?

Are they working correctly?

Are you connected to shore power, if so are you using the proper equipment?

OR check the anodes every 30 days.

When you leave a boat in the water at a marina you never know if you are protected or not. Iím not trying to scare you just saying you can not be too careful.

Bottom paint ain't gonna protect the bottom of a boat in a "HOT" harbor. All the paint does is keep the grass, barnacle's and moss from growing on the bottom. Make sure you get paint suitable for a aluminum boat that means no copper in the paint or your have more than grass problems.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Won't be connected to shore power. Have several anodes and one quite large one on the back of hull. What is a hot harbor?

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Won't be connected to shore power. Have several anodes and one quite large one on the back of hull. What is a hot harbor?
    Here is a good article, about half way thru there is a paragraph on Hot Harbors.

http://www.sailmail.com/grounds.htm

This has some test you could use to check for a hot harbor, if you don't have down riggers just use a cable or wire.

http://www.protroll.com/books/?id=5&p_id=4

I have no practical experience with Seward, but I would feel safe assuming it is pretty hot. I keep my boat in Homer harbor, and of course, it is hot also. I have twin 150 Hondas. The anodes by the bracket where they bolt onto the boat are the ones that sacrifice the fastest. I replace them at least once a season. I trim my engines all the way up when tied up, so the anodes on the lower units are like new. The larger anodes on the boat are getting replaced for this season. They have protected the boat for 4 seasons. I take mine out about once a month to spray the bottom off. (That's when I check the anodes) As Potbuilder stated, bottom paint keeps the growth down. He also gave me a tip once I very much appreciated. It was something like "why spend money to paint the bottom...you can buy clorox for a lot less". It really works well.

Potbuilder is right based on what I know.

Bottom paint deals with growth on a boat, whereas zincs deal with corrosion. To answer your question, if you do not bottom paint you will need to pull the boat out of the water and power wash it a couple of times in the summer, depending on how much you care about how clean the bottom of your boat is and the performance hit you are taking. I have heard that this is the worst here during the peak summer months where there is the most sunshine, and not an issue the rest of the time.

Another consideration is that the boat will be lighter and faster without bottom paint, since it adds drag and weight compared with bare aluminum. I was in the water around 6 weeks last summer plus a bunch of time on and off the trailer, and I do not have bottom paint. There is a bit of a gray line where the water line is, otherwise there is no issue.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Another consideration is that the boat will be lighter and faster without bottom paint, since it adds drag and weight compared with bare aluminum. I was in the water around 6 weeks last summer plus a bunch of time on and off the trailer, and I do not have bottom paint. There is a bit of a gray line where the water line is, otherwise there is no issue.
    Bottom paint or not, the slime in the water will increase drag just as much if not more than the paint will. I have to pull mine (w/o paint) 2 times a year. The slime alone can rob you of 4-12 miles per hour. A slicker bottom, although maybe heavier boat, could be an improvement in speed just because of the lessor resistance in the water.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I have no practical experience with Seward, but I would feel safe assuming it is pretty hot. I keep my boat in Homer harbor, and of course, it is hot also. I have twin 150 Hondas. The anodes by the bracket where they bolt onto the boat are the ones that sacrifice the fastest. I replace them at least once a season. I trim my engines all the way up when tied up, so the anodes on the lower units are like new. The larger anodes on the boat are getting replaced for this season. They have protected the boat for 4 seasons. I take mine out about once a month to spray the bottom off. (That's when I check the anodes) As Potbuilder stated, bottom paint keeps the growth down. He also gave me a tip once I very much appreciated. It was something like "why spend money to paint the bottom...you can buy clorox for a lot less". It really works well.
    Bleach & a garden sprayer work quite well don't they???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Potbuilder is right based on what I know.

Bottom paint deals with growth on a boat, whereas zincs deal with corrosion. To answer your question, if you do not bottom paint you will need to pull the boat out of the water and power wash it a couple of times in the summer, depending on how much you care about how clean the bottom of your boat is and the performance hit you are taking. I have heard that this is the worst here during the peak summer months where there is the most sunshine, and not an issue the rest of the time.

If you only have slime, moss & some grass you don't have to powerwash the bottom, just get a garden sprayer & a gallon of bleach, spray it on let ot sit for a half hour or so then go for a short ride out of the harbor and back, i bet 99% of the s*it on the bottom will be gone. If you have some heavier growthspots of grass or moss just dip your deckbrush in some sand or dirt(like on the ground next to the trailer) and scrub the stuff right off.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default I worked on boats in the mountains 18 years

Bottom paint is better than grass any day,but let me share some stuff.
    We use mureatic acid to clean boats of all sorts , It actually gets into the fabric of the metal and or gelcoat or wood or what ever . It'll rince off just fine . the acid is gotten at a pool supply, sprayed on with a garden sprayer.
    Now, here's a little trivia. Grass needs sun light to grow ,duh
    this is real heavy rocket science so hold on to your seat belt .
    If you put a skirt around the boat while it is in the water just a few feet below the boat so direct light does not hit the hull ,vola no grass .
    I use the blue shrink wrap material . Working on a lake 24/7 stuff falls in and I got elected to go after. While under water I noticed the area under the dock is completely clear ,( no sunlight) get the picture ?
    I've shared this with a lot of folks , but they 'd rather pay for cleaning the boat, rather than the little trouble of putting a skirt around the boat.

when i had my aluminum boat at whittier , no bottom paint
    moss and slime would grow. when i had a partner and the boat was being used regularly it was not a big problem. we used to wax the hull. after the partner passed away i would use boat about once / month and the grow was heavy required pulling boat and power washing. gave up my slip figuring if i was paying for trailer storage and having to pull it may as well just pull and store it.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I would agree with Steve.

If you do plan to paint here are a few sites to help you. I have used interlux products and they are great, but spendy. A gallon of Micron Extra is about $250 for my fiberglass boat. Still want to paint?

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...ttom-Paint.htm

Here is my experience with my job:

http://clubsearay.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24963

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    We use mureatic acid to clean boats of all sorts , It actually gets into the fabric of the metal and or gelcoat or wood or what ever . It'll rince off just fine . the acid is gotten at a pool supply, sprayed on with a garden sprayer.
    If you put a skirt around the boat while it is in the water just a few feet below the boat so direct light does not hit the hull ,vola no grass .
    I use the blue shrink wrap material . Working on a lake 24/7 stuff falls in and I got elected to go after. While under water I noticed the area under the dock is completely clear ,( no sunlight) get the picture ?
    I've shared this with a lot of folks , but they 'd rather pay for cleaning the boat, rather than the little trouble of putting a skirt around the boat.
    I'm not 100% sure but i think Muriatic acid will etch fiberglass gelcoat & aluminum so i'd be very careful using that stuff on my boat. Why mess with something so dangerous to your skin & health when simple and cheap bleach will do the same thing. Curtain around the boat??? well you got more time & patience than me to be skirting a boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I have a Kingfisher 2825. A guy from Wasilla told me it would be $2600 to $3000 to prepare and paint the bottom. A guy in Homer said it would be around $2000. Then I ran into Steve (Potbuilder) and he passed along the bleach method to me. If you go that route, a cheap pair of safety goggles works well to protect your eyes a little if it's windy. (That's usually when I do that job because I can't get out).

Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably pull the boat out on occasion and clean the bottom off with bleach. I'm not overly excited about painting the boat and was more concerned about corrosion rather than scum build up.

Default Would a Chiffon Skirt

Work as well?

Would I have to have the top redone in a paisly pink?

Would I have to Rrename if from Puddle Pirate to Prissy Pirate?

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but i think Muriatic acid will etch fiberglass gelcoat & aluminum so i'd be very careful using that stuff on my boat. Why mess with something so dangerous to your skin & health when simple and cheap bleach will do the same thing. Curtain around the boat??? well you got more time & patience than me to be skirting a boat.
    Dilute muriatic acid does a good job of removing stains from gelcoat and there are pre-diluted bottles of the stuff you can buy for that purpose. So no problems with gelcoat. Just rinse the boat when you're done. I do know that it'll etch galvanized metal (e.g. trailer) and make it look crappy. Not sure about aluminum.

There are a lot of reasons I'd like to have a slip, but there are even more reasons why I wouldn't. Mainly having to do with $. It is nice though when I can get a temp slip for a night or two and don't have to mess with the launch ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    Do you have any photos of what the skirt looks like? Sounds interesting.