Thread: Sako Battue in .375 H&H -

Default Sako Battue in .375 H&H -

i bought one of these last year for I think a good price - about 1100 from a hunter / collector in California liquidating his collection due to his age. not new, he bought it for an African hunt he never made so it looks As new, no box. My question is whether or not to scope it. with a 19 1/4" barrel and the ramp sights - it is an excellent set up for large game as is. I am taking this gun to South Africa in July on a photo safari, and would like to kill a nice Kudu with it - maybe one other head of plains game. and eventually take to your state of Alaska where I think it would probably be super for bears and moose. as an experiment several years ago I shot a round of skeet - iron sights and then with a scope - with my bolt action Browning A-Bolt shotgun. believe it or not, I ran a 25 straight with the iron sights. with the scope, i dropped about 7 targets. so the scope definitely slows you down on target aquisition on running game. but I shoot that gun with a scope anyway - as it is 200 yard slug gun, and past 100 yards - or trying to find holes in brush - or gathering extra light at dawn / dusk - it REALLY helps. But whitetails dont fight back either. so what do you guys do - when something that potentially fights back is on the other end? if shots are most likely to be 125-150 yards - I am not sure I need a scope. thanks!

I would put a Leupold 1.5 X 5 on that rifle.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default AND

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I would put a Leupold 1.5 X 5 on that rifle.
    And with some quick release mounts.

I put a leupold 1.5x 5 in old school sako detachable rings on my sako L61R AV 375. Its a very long action and I was surprised how many scopes would not work. The leupold has a long tube and works well.

Default thanks Seant

the Sako rings have a hole near the base so you can see your iron sights - is this worthwhile, and if so do i need a straight tube w/o an objective bell? i had not thought about the tube needing to be long - great point and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I put a leupold 1.5x 5 in old school sako detachable rings on my sako L61R AV 375. Its a very long action and I was surprised how many scopes would not work. The leupold has a long tube and works well.
    Similarly, I put a Leupold VXII 1-4X on my Sako AV 375 H&H Battue. It comes off quick if need be with the sako rings.

I love the Battue rifles. They do have rather course sights and give very little precision. They are meant to be quick. I have a collection of them in different calibers, 9.3x62 being the largest. I have used them to about 150 yards effectively and still can, even though the eyes are going. With the natural QD capability of the Sako mounts a good low power variable scope can work well. The problem with the sights is they seem to disappear in low light. Shadows really make them hard to see. For this reason I'd suggest a detachable scope. A scope would certainly be called for on a leopard gun where precise shot placement can make all the difference. They are generally taken at dawn or dusk anyway. Though I'd take the scope off for follow up as the Battue sights are quick to come on target for a quick moving cat.

On a buffalo gun, irons aren't so bad, though I'd prefer better sights than the Battue has. Also the Battue sights are very close, not much sighting radius, for this reason I'd limit shots to about 100 yards or the distance where you can keep shots in about 4 to 6 inches at 100 yards.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'd really like to see a picture of this rifle.......it sounds like an excellent gun.

will post one later this eve. I do not know how common / uncommon the model is - i have several Sakos, but this is the only Battue I have or have seen 'in the flesh' so to speak. and while not looking for them, I have not seen another for sale on the net whenever I occasionally search for Sakos lots of muzzle blast, but who cares no more than you shoot it and for the game intended. That short barrel is sure nice to carry! - especially in brush / thickets

Battue is a French word. It means beaten or battered. A word probably used to describe a French sholdier. In central Europe game is hunted from stands and drivers or "beaters" beat the bushes to drive game ahead to the hunters on stand. The rifle carried by the "beaters" was preferred to be a short light weight carbine or "beater's" rifle. Thus the term Battue or Beater rifle. Sights on these rifles were meant to be quick to use and effective short range fast moving targets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?