Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Access (mat-su and beyond)

Default Hunting Access (mat-su and beyond)

Why aren't we willing to accept access limits?

Specifically unit 14 (would probably apply in unit 20...not my territory)

I'm talking about confronting the fact that as hunters it is not always in our interests to push for ATV and snowmachine access to an area just so we can make it easier to hunt there.

Part of the reason that the small game hunting is still even fair in the hatcher pass area is that the upper little su valley (including archangel) is closed to ATVs and snowmachines much or all of the year.

People gripe about this but I can tell you exactly what happens to almost all the ptarmigan up there in the motorized areas....they're shot.

The primary source for the replenishment is the areas unreachable by atvs or sleds.

The exact same things happen with other species.

And yet we push ATV and snow machine access further and further near our populated areas, thinking we're "sharing" and "being equal"

Anyone agree?

Mat-su "motorized" users please respond. (YOU don't have a motor, you know)

Aren't there enough limits for you? There are a plethora of areas with motor vehicle access limits. Why are those not enough?

Hatchers Pass in general has trails that span 15 miles, 1 way. I don't think anyone is gonna walk that far for small game, or any game for that matter.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thumbs down

How do you feel about planes and boats?

What you suggest, would only lead to congestion beyond belief, for what few game animals that live or cross the roads and trails. It is a very bad suggestion. The people should be allowed to get anywhere they can, anyway they can, without restriction of any sort whatsoever.

PS: The game is being killed, because there is an open season for it. NOT because of how a hunter gets to them. If you don't want the game killed, simply get the season closed.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Even the areas that do not allow ATV's and snowmachines don't do a very good job of enforcing it. Nancy lake state recreation area is a prime example. No offroad vehicles inside the parkway yet I've commonly rode my ATV down the road to lynx creek with no hassles. I don't get off the road, but still, it says no atv's.

Go up Willow Mountain. You can only go so far before you can no longer ride an offroad vehicle up there. I think you can in the winter time, but Im not sure.

Pt. Mac. Can't ride out there in the game refuge till winter time. There is a fair amount of "riding-less" area in 14.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default sorry RES

I can't agree with that. Acess means people, people means loss of habitat. When animals loss their habitat they just dissapear, they don't have to be hunted. I know this is a generalization and that there are execptions, but ask any biologist and they will tell you the most important thing for a species is ................... HABITAT

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    I can't agree with that. Acess means people, people means loss of habitat. When animals loss their habitat they just dissapear, they don't have to be hunted. I know this is a generalization and that there are execptions, but ask any biologist and they will tell you the most important thing for a species is ................... HABITAT
    That isn't completley true. You see lots of moose and bears in Anchorage and its the most populated place in the state. They aren't hunted much though, so I'll give you that.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I Look At It This Way You Want To Walk There Knock Your Self Out, And You Want To Pack That Moose Our Caribou Out On Your Back Have Fun Take Your Frying Pan And Knock Your Self Out, But As You Get Older And Your Back Goes And Your Knees Are Not Any Good For Walking Are You Going To Set At Home And Watch Every One Heading Out To Go Hunting And Our Fishing, Me I Hurt My Back In The Military Serving My Country, So You Are Now Going To Tell Me Not To Tread On What I Serve For Our Country, This Is Alaska Not California

No lack of ptarmigan where I hunt...and it's one of the most popular snowmachine areas in the state.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by samsoniam View Post
    Aren't there enough limits for you? There are a plethora of areas with motor vehicle access limits. Why are those not enough?
    To clarify, the Hatcher Pass issue isn't about adding a limit, it's about removing one.

Access to game populations makes it easier to hunt that game population. True. So does trumpeting on the worldwide web the exact location and method used to hunt/fish/trap a spot.

There is already too much area in Alaska we cannot use motorized vehicles in. By trying to further restrict the usable land, we play into the hands of those who want all the land locked away from consumptive uses like hunting and fishing.

Alaska has more federally owned land than the rest of the nation combined, yet we continue to give ours away to the feds. Do we want more McKinley Parks in our state?

Default park

I want the first citizens ranger suit and badge.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

While I love the fact that there are non-motorized areas and prefer to hunt in them much of the time, I think we have enough such areas. Take a look at the road system and you'll find many such areas. You can't use motorized vehicles in much of Unit 7, most of Chugach State Park, some of Hatcher Pass, Denali State and National Parks, Yanert CUA, part of the north side of the Denali Highway, the entire Dalton Highway corridor north of the Yukon, and I'm sure other places that I'm not thinking of at the moment. To the east there are other parks and non-motorized areas, and you have to throw in all of the Native Corp. land as well. While there can be some problems with motorized access when it is abused, realistically they are already restricted from vast portions of the road system. Again, I LOVE walk-in hunting in places where I'm not competing with atvs, but there are already a lot of areas that fit that description. I'm glad that there are, as I'll be taking my son out on my six wheeler now and then until he is old enough to join me on some walk-in adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Do we want more McKinley Parks in our state?
    Its not McKinely State park that scoops up so much ok AKs land for the feds, but the extra 4 million acres added in 1980 to create Denali National Park.

Quote Originally Posted by samsoniam View Post
    Aren't there enough limits for you? Why are those not enough?

limits evolve over time. They are not fixed. Notice how BOG changes the regulations over time. Conditions change. It is wise to change strategy accordingly.

I realize there is a fear that areas just get CLOSED DOWN! over and over again and the life of the independent ALASKAN is threatened.

We All Feel This

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Hatchers Pass in general.....I don't think anyone is gonna walk that far.
    there are lot's of trails of different lengths. The "Corridors" being proposed are not currently among them.

These corridors will produce a Lake Otis and Tudor intersection in what is now a largely untraveled wilderness area.

Of course, so will these "world class" nordic ski trails that don't exist yet.

Very few of you are being realistic about what will happen here in the next 20 years

Brian M. I want to know why it does not make sense to protect small slivers of habitat

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    How do you feel about planes and boats?

What you suggest, would only lead to congestion beyond belief,

PS: The game is being killed, because there is an open season for it. NOT because of how a hunter gets to them.

Boats and Planes are good methods of transportation. People can disperse with them very well.

People cannot disperse well with ATVS right next to large population centers. It has happened OVER and OVER in the mat-su core area.

The game is killed by the hunter who has accessed it. We do not need to go around having Government build us ATV HIGHWAYS to get there.

This would be 2 ATV highways.

Numerous spur trails will develop in a SMALL area.

You Do Not Want This

These corridors will lead to the congestion. It's obvious. They DO NOT Exist Now.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Brian M. I want to know why it does not make sense to protect small slivers of habitat
    I didn't say it doesn't make sense. In fact, I am fully in support of all of the protected habitat that we have, and I'd be in favor of reasonable restrictions on the continued growth/spiderwebbing of trails that we see in some areas if it could actually be enforced. That being said, I think there needs to be a limit to how many places are restricted for motorized users. Re-read my posts, though - I am fully in favor of habitat protection.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    I want to know why it does not make sense to protect small slivers of habitat

Give em inch and they'll take a foot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast