Thread: Recoil lube.

Default Recoil lube.

My SkiDoo Manual says to use Molykote PG 54 to lube the recoil mechanism. Does anyone know of a source or substitution?

Thanks!
    Mike

I seriously wouldn't worry about it. I usually clean mine off the first time I have it apart and reassemble virtually dry. Too many times I have had a recoil not engage in the bitter cold because of the lube that is on it from the factory or being over greased by someone. You don't want that hassle when you try to get going in the morning. And no I have never had any wear problems doing this.

I too leave mine dry, for the same reasons.

Mod - Since the machine will be used in your area (and came from your area) I was going to do what you suggested in case the was no clear answer.

Thanks People!!!
    Mike

AIH (Fairbanks) carried that stuff a couple years ago when rebuilt mine. You might also try the company - they sent me free samples. I don't know of any better substitutions (I tried a couple that didn't work). Mine worked better with lube than dry - but the lube must be used very sparingly in just the right spots. Someone at the fairbanks dealer shop told me they also put them back together dry.

Thumbs up

I have been using Heavy Duty Silicone Spray on recoils for a long time. It dries, doesn't collect dirt and helps keep things loose and working. All recoils, atv, snowmachine, generators, etc etc.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Recoil done.... now stripped threads....

The recoil works great Team CC had all the parts in stock!! I have a stripped bolt on the engine block where the recoil bolts on. Should I use CAT style threadserts which require a larger hole to be drilled and tapped OR is there a better method. These little single cylinders rattle themselves apart.

Thanks for all the previous posts!
    Mike

The best way to fix, if you have enough meat, is a Helicoil (I imagine that's what the CAT deal is). The next best, if you also have the meat is to clean the hole out and re-tap to the next sized bigger bolt. Depending on your recoil, they often have enough bolts that not using one may not be that detrimental.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

What Doug said, plus use a medium strength Thread Locker during reassembly. The single cylinder engines need it.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I put helicoils in all the holes after a close examination and knowing how fun it is to pull the engine. I used Red Thread locker........ oops.

Thanks people!!
    Mike

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I put helicoils in all the holes after a close examination and knowing how fun it is to pull the engine. I used Red Thread locker........ oops.

Thanks people!!
    Mike
    Some brands the color is different than for Loctite Brand. If you have disassemble something that has high strength thread locker, just put a propane torch on the bolt for a while and get it good and hot, then unbolt it. Softens the thread locker.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~