Thread: Articulated Flies on the Upper Kenai

Default Articulated Flies on the Upper Kenai

I was tying some flies today, like Dolly Llamas and articulated leeches, and realized they are probably not legal on the upper Kenai early in the season. I go up there in mid-late June every year for the red run, though this year I was going to focus more on the rainbows. I have been tying articulated Leeches, Sculpins, and Dolly Llamas, which all are made by tying stuff on one hook, breaking the point off and attaching a stinger hook to dangle off the back. BUT, the regs say ONE unbaited, single hook, artificial lure. So, since the fly is acually made with 2 hooks, I am not sure it is actually legal.

Any help with the regs is greatly appreciated.

I would say since you broke the point off of the first hook you'd be ok. People use articulated flys up here all the time. To get the most diffinitive answer you might want to call ADF&G and ask them. They'd be able to tell you what they actually consider a "hook". Can give you an actual definition of a hook and if that first "hook" your using with the broke point doesn't meet the deffinition, you're good to go! Hope that helps a little
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

The fly you describe above is a single hook fly. Keep tying up your flies and worry less about pedantics. All is good. Spring is upon us.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Agree with others - as long you break off the bend of the base hook, it just becomes a piece of metal with an eye on it with some materials tied on it - no longer a hook.

I'm tying up a bunch and I'll be fishing a bunch of these lovely articulated beasts.

I fish them year round and have been checked and never had and issue. Keep on flying and tying and banging the bows
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Articulated flies are really no different than the famous kenai amputee rig used by bait fishermen in the lower river, which was born from the "single-hook" regulation. Perfectly legal - keep at it.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=amputee

PS... you haven't moved on to making articulated leeches from 3 hooks yet?
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

So is a tube fly legal in fly fishing only waters?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Nope, not unless you put some material on your trailing hook.

Thanks for clearing that up, for a minute I thought I tied up a bunch of flies that I would end up not able to use. Got my rod I am going to be using them on in the mail today, a Beulah 7wt. Sweet rod!

Thanks again for the help.

Hey ak char, did you win that rod I found on ebay and did you get it at a good price?

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Nope, not unless you put some material on your trailing hook.
    3-4 wraps of thread with an overcoat of head cement should be more than ample on any tube-fly trailer hook... I would hope.

they had a similar rule rule for brooks , fly only single hook for most of the river and for the lower part below the bridge artificial lure single hook.

When i guided there god knows how many times i was checked while clients were using articulated flies the points being cut off the front part and was never asked about it.