Thread: Cabelas Waders

Default Cabelas Waders

Anyone here have a set of Cabelas waders? I just received a pair of Gold Medal Dry Plus waders in the mail to replace the pair of Hodgemans that were stolen from me in Canada. I'm really looking forward to trying them out this spring (which may be next week if this weather keeps up)! Opinions?

Sapper in the Skies

Default We'll see

I too just ordered a set of waders from Cabelas. I ordered the Millennium hunting wader. This is to replace a set of Orvis that was given to me years ago. I really liked the Orvis and would have gotten that brand again but the price was out of reach. The thing I like about Cabelas is I can send them back if I want to and/or they have great warrenty service (plus I have friends there).

We'll see when they get here if they are as good as I hope. I'll be takiung them with me on my spring bear guiding. Chest waders give sooooo many more options than hip boots. Plus I need a new pair for my duck hunting. (just puddlers, no sea ducks)

I have a pair of their cheap stockingfoot neopreme waders ($50) that I use for duck hunting, and it has yet to leak on me. Seems to work just as good as the more expensive neopremes with boots attached (Which I hate, as the boot size is always way too big).

I have a set and have used them for the last three years. I like them because they had different sizes for each boot size. Kinda like a custom fit. Most important part no leaks.

I have had three pair, one neoprene, one pant wader, and one full wader. The latter two have been the Cabelas "Dry Plus" breathable hunting waders with lug sole. Hard to find size 15 in anything else. I have enjoyed them and got more than my moneys worth out of them. Very comfortable (relatively speaking) and dry. Tough and held up well on float trip usage after 2-3 trips on last pair. However, I am going to get some Simms waders and some custom size 16 boots. Pricey, but I want more comfort and range of motion. Now I just need to figure out which bank I will rob. For the money, Cabelas offers some great stuff. But as you may suspect, there are nicer waders available.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    However, I am going to get some Simms waders and some custom size 16 boots.
    Size 16!! Holy smokes, Dan - you must feel like a giant when you pick up a 3 wt!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thumbs up Yikes

Now I know where the yeti tracks come from.

Sorry Dan, just had to say it, I'll bet you get plenty enuf kidding without me adding to it. That'll be my one transgression. It's nice you can find something of quality to use, I'm hoping the waders I get hold up to the quality standards.

I currently have this pair of Cabelas guide waders hanging in my garage:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat350005&rid=

When the first pair arrived, the seam tape on the feet was already coming apart, so I sent the pair back. I got the second pair a few weeks later. For starters, I thought the material was way too stiff, especially compared to my Orvis breathables I had been using for several years. I used the waders 4 times. Sometime around the second trip with them, the seam tape started coming apart again. I did not fish in anything too deep (i.e. up to the crotch) last summer, and the tape did not seem to make them leak. So I figured no big deal, I would just send them back after the season. The last trip I did with them was dipnetting the Kenai in July. On the first day in chest-deep water, the crotch was leaking. Needless to say, I was not pleased. They are in my garage still just because I have not gotten around to sending them back. The nice thing about Cabelas is their return policy is superb. I've gotten some pretty good items from Cabelas, both Cabelas brand and other brands. But the waders are probably the most disappointing item by far. Way too stiff, and two pairs coming apart and leaking without any and/or very little use at all.

I hope your experience is better than mine was.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Size 16!! Holy smokes, Dan - you must feel like a giant when you pick up a 3 wt!
    You've obviously not met Dan. He IS a giant!

I have a 4 year old pair of dry plus waders and two years ago I noticed a wet crotch after duck hunting. I thought it was from all the hiking I did that day, but leak checked them. No obvious leak, but Cabelas support suggested that I try a couple more tests with a shop vac in the tub and then an alcohol method. Still no leak found.

Every time I am over my waist I get wet. I found some cuts and tears in the outer material and aqua sealed them and the leaks were cut in half. It appears to be something on the joint where all the seams meet.

I am thinking about sending them back before summer.

The first two years they were great and made the hiking up and down the Russian much more fun on the hot days. Duck hiking was much more fun as well.