Thread: Recommended books for training pointers?

Default Recommended books for training pointers?

Just looking to be "pointed" in the direction of some good books. Eventually I would like to get a GSH and would like to kind of get a heads up on training them before I get one.

Thanks,

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default Lots to choose from

A couple I have used are:
    The Best way to train your gun dog, The Delmar Smith Method by Bill Tarrant
    George Hickox, Forgot the title
    The Silent Command Method by Rick & Ronnie Smith
    Puppy Development, By Rick & Ronnie Smith
    Wing & Shot by Bob Wehle

They all have good methods, You can choose one or mix and match. Most of the books are also in video now.

I bought the George Hickox Dvd (Training Pointing Dogs)-All 4 volumes on one dise. I think I ordered it from Cabela's.
    For a collar I went with Tri-tronics.
    Good luck with it, Short hairs are a handfull, but great bird dogs and great with kids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like

"Point!: Training the All_Season Birddog" by James B Spencer

It takes into account that the most of us have jobs to support our hunting habits and cant train a dog 4-5 hours a day. Not everyone can be a full time trainer. It also give a nice little history of a few of the big breeds too which I like.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Thank you all for the input. I will check them out. I really have no clue what is involved in training a dog, so I figured a head start would be a good Idea.

GSPs are a handfull? Are Brittneys easier? I am not a 100% set on the breed. I really ain't looking for a world class dog. Just something with potential, and hopefully finds a few more birds than me. Again, its a little ways off before i get one anyways.

Ryan.
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

any dog can be a handful, regardless of breed....there are a couple threads in this forum regarding which breed to have.
    Read books, google breeds, research any way you can.
    Get in the field with different ones of interest. In the end it is all personal choice and you like what you like.... a good gun dog is in the eye of the beholder (or something like that).
    Rarely if ever can you go wrong...if you are willing to spend time working with your canine companion.
    Every breed has its plus and minus...find a quality breeder of any breed and you will have a good chance for a quality gun dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Every breed has its plus and minus...find a quality breeder of any breed and you will have a good chance for a quality gun dog.

I just wanted to second Burke's comment about a quality breeder. I am a new gundog owner myself and was in your position about a year ago. I decided on a Vizsla, and had every intention of hunting with my new dog so choosing a breeder was a bit of work, as most didn't hunt with their dogs. Gun dog breeds are very popular as family dogs because of their loyal nature - so that being considered make sure you don't go to a breeder who is working with that in mind and isn't concerned with the hunting aspects of the breed standards. Make sure they're coming from some established hunting lines.

You also may consider visiting some of the gun dog clubs meetings/trials to check out some of the various breeds, you never know you may find that you like something out of the ordinary like a Spinone or Munsterlander.

Tyler

Lost -by-choice, If you want to connect with folks to observe dogs in the field PM me and I can help you contact folks in the Arctic Bird Dog Association for a variety of breeds to observe.
    Some options are;
    Small Munsterlander, Britttany, Wire Haired Griffon, German Short Hair, Draathaar, English Springer Spaniels, Welsh Spaniel, English Setter, German Wire Haired Pointer, Weimaraner
    Last edited by Burke; 02-20-2010 at 10:59. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_By_Choice View Post
    Thank you all for the input. I will check them out. I really have no clue what is involved in training a dog, so I figured a head start would be a good Idea.

GSPs are a handfull? Are Brittneys easier? I am not a 100% set on the breed. I really ain't looking for a world class dog. Just something with potential, and hopefully finds a few more birds than me. Again, its a little ways off before i get one anyways.

Ryan.
    The most you can do in training your dog is(time) the more time it's with you, the easier it will be in training. So before you get a pup make sure your going to be able to spend alot time with it while it is young.
    Most pointers are high strung and need alot of room to run. It's there breed to hunt all day and with none stop running. It's amazing
    Mine would hunt all day only if I could.
    I had Lab's my whole life, lost my last one early to cancer while my short hair was just a pup. For me a lab is hard to beat for a all round dog.
    Although you need to figure out what style bird hunting you what to do, Lab's, Brittneys are flushing dogs. Are you going to duck hunt or just upland hunt. Pointer's are more upclose hunting, flushers are out in front alittle more.

Default HuntNBgame

Not trying to be rude, but I must correct your last post....the Brittany is not a flushing breed. They are used as a pointing breed. You certainly could train them to flush if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    Although you need to figure out what style bird hunting you what to do, Lab's, Brittneys are flushing dogs. Are you going to duck hunt or just upland hunt. Pointer's are more upclose hunting, flushers are out in front alittle more.
    Hate to beat up on you also, ut I think another correction is in order also. flushing breeds tend to be close hunting dogs, they need to so that they flush game within gun range. Pointers however tend to range alot farther out, they can do this because they hold the bird at point until the gunner walks up and flushes the bird.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Well thanks again guys. I really am interested in a pointer. I always have been, just think it's pretty cool to see them do their thing. I am also only interested in upland birds. For some reason, duck hunting is the one and only type of hunting I have never really been interested in.

I know time is a big factor, it's why I have yet to get one. I will definetly probably start hanging out around some organizations once I get a bit familiar with what is going on.

Thanks,

Ryan

Default My mistake

Sorry guy's, I was thinking of springer's. What I ment by pointers being upclose is that most times you are right on top of the bird compared to flushers being out in your shooting range farther.

Hey Lost, here's a link to play around with, Check prices,compare breed,etc. http://www.birddogsforever.com/birdhunt/kennels.shtml
    When you said(just think it's pretty cool to see them do their thing) I laughed, that's what made me get mine. Watching my buddies dog go from a flat out run to locked up like a statue in seconds.
    Good luck in your scearch.

Default GSP locking up

When you said(just think it's pretty cool to see them do their thing) I laughed, that's what made me get mine. Watching my buddies dog go from a flat out run to locked up like a statue in seconds.
    Good luck in your scearch.
    This is really well represented by a photo on the Greatland NAVHDA website: http://www.greatlandnavhda.org/

I'm not a member of the organization but their site has a lot of good info about various breeds.

Default Hope i didn't sound harsh?

Sorry guy's, I was thinking of springer's. What I ment by pointers being upclose is that most times you are right on top of the bird compared to flushers being out in your shooting range farther.
    I have made some oopses in some of my posts to. I see what you were saying now.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Training Shorthair

I have a young shorthair and a wirehair pup in Fairbanks. If you want to come out and watch/help with some training or hunting send me a pm. Also, I must say that joining a club is a great way to learn about dog training and get a lot of help.