Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert slides to Digital ?

Default Convert slides to Digital ?

Has anyone found a good way, easy on time expenditure, not too expensive, to get old slides converted to a digital format?

I saw a gadget at costco that claimed to could convert film negatives into digital images.

I'm not sure if it worked for slides?

Anyway it was around $50 and I saw it right after Christmas.

Good luck

Default Anyone hire this out?

Whoops I should have looked first, I found answers to this in "Slides and Negatives Scanner" thread

I guess since this is started, are there any other ways, like commercial folks who do it for a price and saves my time? Have been wanting to do this for years and didn't even do the research to find the scanner option yet.

I'll hire it out if anyone has a scoop on where to go?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Has anyone found a good way, easy on time expenditure, not too expensive, to get old slides converted to a digital format?
    If you own a DSLR of almost any kind, go to eBay and do a search for "slide copier". There is everything from very simple to fairly complex. For under $100 a pretty good slide copying device can be obtained for just about any camera. They may or may not include a lens or bellows. For some cameras the only option will be something using a T-mount adapter.

There are also options like a used Bessler 4102 or used Kenro Spectra 1000, both of which provide everything except the camera and include color corrected light sources. And just like everything that appears to be only useful for film, the prices are dirt cheap.

I had a couple hundred done at Costco a few years back. They burnt them to CD's for me. I don't recall the price, but I don't think it was that bad.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, and a whole host of other companies will do the conversion for you. These are usually about 10 cents each, and as long as the slides are in decent condition the image quality is pretty good. Of course, if you are looking at the best results possible from either a drum scanner or a very high end slide scanner, you'll have to go to a pro lab.

Doing your own with either a dedicated slide scanner or slide duplicator can provide customization of cropping and lighting, but if you have a lot of them, this can eat up a bunch of time.

photowright laboratories (not sure on the spelling)...on fireweed ave. in Anchorage.

does a professional job...and i felt very good supporting this longtime ALaskan owned business.

would much rather support this business than any old big box, even though it's probably a bit more spendy.

Default Photowright

I'll give Photowright a second plug.

Photowright Laboratories
    927 West Fireweed Lane, Anchorage, AK 99503-1867
    (907) 277-0518‎

If you have 'lots' of slides to process, you may find it's cheaper to buy or lease a slide scanner (Nikon or Minolta will have higher ratings... until you get into drum scanners...).

Good luck, let us know what you did, and who did it!

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Slides - Negatives - Epson Perfection Photo scanner with Digital Ice can do anything you want !!

With incredible stunning quality & professional results !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Doing your own with either a dedicated slide scanner or slide duplicator can provide customization of cropping and lighting, but if you have a lot of them, this can eat up a bunch of time.
    Agreed, but it is a good winter project... this winter I've digitized about 1400 images. Granted most of them are negative strips (five-seven images scanned in one batch).

Default Price vs. Time?

I called Photowright for cost estimate and these are the numbers,

$2 per slide, or $40 per Cd of 40 images

I think I got that right but sounds like I'll have to go through and find the best ones for sure

Probably more likely I'll do it myself with the scanner,

Is it totally time expensive to do this, Have you folks done this for several hundred and found it took forever or was really simple and worth doing yourself?

I have !!! I have scanned and successfully converted 10's of thousands of slides & negatives of ALL SIZES- on 3 different occasions and I am getting ready to do it again for the 4th time.

It takes me 3 months - working all day / night to accomplish this task.

I speak from great experience when I state with absolute certainty.

GET AN EPSON PERFECTION V500 PHOTO scanner !!

Digital Ice & Restore Color are two extremly powerful features with scratch removal.

There is a reason - that EPSON is #1 when it comes to COLOR REPRODUCTION !

As technologies have advanced - I have purchased new equipment - THIS WORKS awesome, I have not one complaint !!

if you are not 100% satisfied - contact me personally !!

Default I'm on it, cost?

Thanks Majik,

I believe ya, I priced em out at around $380 is that about right?

Might have to search around for the $$ for a while, are there good deals on the Epson that you have seen anywhere?

You're kinda joking about the 3months day/nt thing right?

I may have about 500-1000

Thanks for the scoop on quality tho, big deal to me also

Is it totally time expensive to do this, Have you folks done this for several hundred and found it took forever or was really simple and worth doing yourself?
    One slide on a Nikon 5000 will take about 90 seconds for a decent digital image. Advertised to scan one image in 20 seconds, I find that the resolution, color saturation etc isn't great when you push and scan.
    One slide on that same Nikon 5000 will take about 2.5-3 minutes for a high resolution scan, and ICE, etc. Resolution is 4000dpi, file size is around 100mb per image.
    You can buy a slide feeder, that will allow you to push the slides through in batches.
    The scanner comes with a negative feeder that will allow you to scan 7 negatives in one batch.

Generally, I can do about 40 slides on a Sunday after church, and then I lose interest for a week.
    I can do about 80 negatives in that same period of time.

In short, yes, it is time expensive. But can be worth it; if you have an image that you really like, you can spend all the time you wish to get the perfect scan, then mess around with it in Photoshop (or another program), then you get to print it!

Have fun.

Rob

I can easily do a couple / few hundred in a day, if I really work at it.

I spend long hours (22) each day. For 15 years - I only sleep two hours a night and often I am working for two / three days at a time.

That's all folks !!

Speed is the advantage of using a slide copying adapter for a DSLR. It generates a reasonably high resolution copy, but not necessarily as high as can be done with a scanner. The scanner however will take up huge amounts of time by comparison. Of course 24 mega pixel DSLR's are more expensive than a high resolution scanner by several thousand dollars, so if that is the resolution needed the price of a scanner is far less than an equivalent camera.

If 10 or 12 MP adequate resolution, even buying a DSLR to do the work would possibly be worth the time savings, particularly if one needs results soon and cannot spend literally 40 hours a week for several weeks.

Default A tip from a newbie-

I called Photowright for cost estimate and these are the numbers,

$2 per slide, or $40 per Cd of 40 images

I think I got that right but sounds like I'll have to go through and find the best ones for sure

Probably more likely I'll do it myself with the scanner,

Kodiak,

Don't forget that your slides probably have dust fragments on them, and these little fibers can create cleanup nightmares in the final scan. If you're doing them yourself, I recommend a good wipedown with a lint-free cloth between scans, and shooting them with some canned air before you scan them. Remember to point the nozzle on the can away from your scanner, or you'll shoot dust all over your clean glass :-)

I know this is probably all academic to you, but I'm a newbie and that's what I did. Even then I still had some cleanup to do in Photoshop.

Hope it helps-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Thanks, Thanks

Wow, I really appreciate all the details,

I am going to dive into this, been wanting to for a while and have loads of old Commercial Fishing in SE stuff and Building Log Home in Talkeetna woods stuff on slides.

I'll post results when I get some done,

Anyone ever done something like take pictures of every car they've ever owned for memories and story starting? I've got a lot of that stuff,

Majik, You Are The Best

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Kodiak,

Don't forget that your slides probably have dust fragments on them, and these little fibers can create cleanup nightmares in the final scan. If you're doing them yourself, I recommend a good wipedown with a lint-free cloth between scans, and shooting them with some canned air before you scan them. Remember to point the nozzle on the can away from your scanner, or you'll shoot dust all over your clean glass :-)

I know this is probably all academic to you, but I'm a newbie and that's what I did. Even then I still had some cleanup to do in Photoshop.

Hope it helps-

-Mike
    You are correct about this. It takes a lot of time to scan old slides, not necessarily to scan them, but to clean the images. I can scan 12 slides at a time on my Epson Perfection V700. But instead of using Silverfast (or the Epson scan software that came with the scanner), I use an application called VueScan.

Before I scan the slides, I use a brush that is designed to dust film, and after scanning them I clean the scanned images further with PhotoShop, plus a software filter called Neat Image. The whole thing takes quite a lot of time. A computer with a fast processors speeds-up the process.

A Nikon slide scanner would be better than the flatbed scanner I use, but I don't want to invest more cash on another scanner

Default My story-

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    You are correct about this. It takes a lot of time to scan old slides, not necessarily to scan them, but to clean the images. I can scan 12 slides at a time on my Epson Perfection V700. But instead of using Silverfast (or the Epson scan software that came with the scanner), I use an application called VueScan.

Before I scan the slides, I use a brush that is designed to dust film, and after scanning them I clean the scanned images further with PhotoShop, plus a software filter called Neat Image. The whole thing takes quite a lot of time. A computer with a fast processors speeds-up the process.

A Nikon slide scanner would be better than the flatbed scanner I use, but I don't want to invest more cash on another scanner
    When I wrote the float hunting book I ended up with an image bank of over 10,000 photos. Since digital photography was essentially born during the time I was writing, most of my better images were originally slides. It was prohibitively expensive to have these slides commercially scanned, so I did it myself. If a person has the time, I would say it is worthwhile. But with the schedule I have now, there is no way I could do it again. It is a very labor-intensive process.

I don't know what sort of quality you get if you run this through WalMart or Costco. Do they dust the slides first? I bet not.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast